Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Bucs

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 28, 1:00 PM
FOX

Old 04-20-2010, 08:56 AM   #11
Indo
Head Coach

Member Number: 11222
Default Re: Steelers' Tomlin delivers strong message before OTAs start

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsailor73 View Post
We need a player like Jack Lambert in the locker room.

In 1976, Lambert assumed the role as leader of the Steelers after star defensive tackle "Mean Joe" Greene missed several games due to a chronic back injury. The Steelers 1976 defense is considered one of the greatest defenses of all time, finishing #1 in nearly every statistical category. After quarterback Terry Bradshaw, receiver Lynn Swann and several other starters went down with injuries, the Steelers struggled to a 1-4 record. At a "players only" meeting, Lambert made it clear that "the only way we are going to the playoffs to defend our title is to win them all from here out, and threatening physical harm to anybody who didn't put forth the effort to do so." In a remarkable nine-game span, the Steelers defense allowed only two touchdowns and a total of 28 points, including 5 shutouts. The Steelers won all of these games and finished at 10-4. The defense gave up only a record low 138 points for the entire season. Eight of the eleven defensive starters on the Steelers made the Pro Bowl that year. Jack Lambert was named NFL Defensive Player of the Year in 1976.
Jack was a Leader, in every sense of the word.
And he Lead by example...
There will NEVER be another like him.

But we need somebody to at least ASPIRE to be like him...
Old 04-20-2010, 08:58 AM   #12
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,046 Times in 391 Posts

Quote:
We could use another MJG, Blount and Webster as well. Waxing nostalgic doesn't really help much, I'm afraid.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:14 AM   #13
Bng_Hevn
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 14891

Quote:

In 1976, Lambert assumed the role as leader of the Steelers after star defensive tackle "Mean Joe" Greene missed several games due to a chronic back injury. The Steelers 1976 defense is considered one of the greatest defenses of all time, finishing #1 in nearly every statistical category. After quarterback Terry Bradshaw, receiver Lynn Swann and several other starters went down with injuries, the Steelers struggled to a 1-4 record. At a "players only" meeting, Lambert made it clear that "the only way we are going to the playoffs to defend our title is to win them all from here out, and threatening physical harm to anybody who didn't put forth the effort to do so." In a remarkable nine-game span, the Steelers defense allowed only two touchdowns and a total of 28 points, including 5 shutouts. The Steelers won all of these games and finished at 10-4. The defense gave up only a record low 138 points for the entire season. Eight of the eleven defensive starters on the Steelers made the Pro Bowl that year. Jack Lambert was named NFL Defensive Player of the Year in 1976.
I swear I heard this same story except it was Joe Greene that gave the speech.
Bng_Hevn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:51 AM   #14
shinoff2183
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 13979

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
So the writing appears to be on the wall.

In the last few years, Townsend has drawn some criticism from Steelers fans for being "older and slower", and not deserving of a roster spot, but the guy has done nothing but work hard. If anything, he helped push younger guys to try and take his spot. He wasn't going to just bow down and give it away.

He was drafted the same year, a round after Hines Ward. A guy that is know as Mr. Steeler. Now, I'm not comparing his numbers to the potential hall of famer, but this guy has served this team for 12 seasons. Played in numerous playoff games, and won two super bowl rings. I just find it interesting that if he has indeed finished his career with the Steelers, that not much has been said about it. I guess I thought if a guy put in that kind of time with one organization, he'd at least go out with some muted "golf applause" instead of a whisper in a sidebar to another Ben story.

Thank you for your efforts, Deshea.

I always liked townsend. Lets not forget he was our first cb with a pick last year way to late in the season. I think maybe townsend deserved more playing time.
Hopefully burnett and lewis can get some time in this year, unless we go cb in the first.

Carry on.

I always liked townsend. Lets not forget he was our first cb with a pick last year way to late in the season. I think maybe townsend deserved more playing time.
Hopefully burnett and lewis can get some time in this year, unless we go cb in the first.
shinoff2183 is offline   Reply With Quote