Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 04-22-2010, 06:06 PM   #11
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default Re: Pittsburgh is a highly-educated U.S. city

So....um....anything about the retention of educated people? Anything about education levels in Pittsburgh? Link 6 addressed it, but the data is 10 years old....and wrong.

Link 1: Irrelevant. YOU don't like the airport.
Link 2: Irrelevant. This article cited Detroit as an example. Do you REALLY want to go there?
Link 3: Irrelevant. US Airlines left Pittsburgh for reasons completely unrelated to the education level of it's citizens.
Link 4: More of the same. But this was nice (and completely in-line with my assertion)
Although the best connection is usually one where you can hop from airplane to airplane with no waiting, if you are going to be stuck at an airport for a while Pittsburgh is a pretty good choice. The airport includes more than 100 shops and restaurants, many of which are clustered in a shopping mall-like atrium at the junction of the quadrangle of concourses. Stores like Brooks Brothers, Brookstone, Godiva Chocolatier, General Nutrition Center, Land's End, PGA Tour Shop and Victoria's Secret are more likely to be found at your neighborhood shopping mall than an airport setting.

Link 5: Duh. They lost a hub. Travel numbers dropped. Irrelevant.
Link 6: Outdated and trumped by new data that directly contradicts this.

And, LOOK! Tony just completely bought into the garbage you quickly pumped out. But he's a 3rd stringer....doesn't count even though his wrong only adds to yours.

Expected more from you, lawyer-boy.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:16 PM   #12
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,651 Times in 4,009 Posts

easy there, Radio.

(on so many different levels)
Old 04-22-2010, 06:23 PM   #13
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Just as a reminder, before the lawyer gets us all off tangent because HE doesn't like the airport, a reminder of what this thread is actually about.

Pittsburgh's young workforce among top 5 most educated in US
Pittsburgh takes No. 1 spot for percentage of the 25-to-34 set with graduate and professional degrees

PITTSBURGH—Once defined by heavy-industry and blue-collar masses, Pittsburgh now hosts the fifth most educated young workforce in the United States, a distinction that groups the city with such bastions of erudition as Boston, San Francisco, and Washington, D.C., according to a recent report in the Pittsburgh Economic Quarterly published by the University of Pittsburgh's University Center for Social and Urban Research (UCSUR).

UCSUR regional economist Chris Briem used information collected by the U.S. Census Bureau to compare the educational attainment of workers aged 25 to 34 in Pittsburgh and the country's top 40 metropolitan areas. This age bracket provides a truer sense of a local workforce's collective learnedness and of a region's economic competitiveness, Briem said. People this age typically have completed their education, entered the workforce, and are often highly sought by employers. This younger cohort also tends to have had more formal education than previous generations, particularly in cities with a history of heavy industry that provided career-long jobs without requiring advanced degrees, Briem added.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:37 PM   #14
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Nothing. Again. Typical, bunker-map.

Once more.

Pittsburgh's young workforce among top 5 most educated in US
Pittsburgh takes No. 1 spot for percentage of the 25-to-34 set with graduate and professional degrees

PITTSBURGH—Once defined by heavy-industry and blue-collar masses, Pittsburgh now hosts the fifth most educated young workforce in the United States, a distinction that groups the city with such bastions of erudition as Boston, San Francisco, and Washington, D.C., according to a recent report in the Pittsburgh Economic Quarterly published by the University of Pittsburgh's University Center for Social and Urban Research (UCSUR).

UCSUR regional economist Chris Briem used information collected by the U.S. Census Bureau to compare the educational attainment of workers aged 25 to 34 in Pittsburgh and the country's top 40 metropolitan areas. This age bracket provides a truer sense of a local workforce's collective learnedness and of a region's economic competitiveness, Briem said. People this age typically have completed their education, entered the workforce, and are often highly sought by employers. This younger cohort also tends to have had more formal education than previous generations, particularly in cities with a history of heavy industry that provided career-long jobs without requiring advanced degrees, Briem added.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:17 PM   #15
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 9302

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersinCA View Post
I always judge a city by their airport. I know it's not scientific or based on any serious data, but I think it works pretty well. Unfortunately, I've heard Pittsburgh's airport is in serious trouble. Could be wrong I haven't really looked into much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Link 1: Irrelevant. YOU don't like the airport.
Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Just as a reminder, before the lawyer gets us all off tangent because HE doesn't like the airport, a reminder of what this thread is actually about.
Speaking of going off on tangents, where exactly did I say I didn't like the airport. I've never even been there!!!Perhaps you can give us a lesson on reading comprehension before we continue? As a matter of fact I've backed up my point, Pittsburgh's airport is in trouble, that's all I said, never said anything about education or retention, but carry on with your vitriolic nonsense, you're a waste of space.
SteelersinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:06 AM   #16
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Read your own links then get back to me. You own cited links refute your own assertions. Again, I expect gutter logic like this from a Tony, but you should know better.

LOL at the namecalling. You post irrelevant garbage, I correctly call it irrelevant garbage, and you whine like a baby...
Old 04-23-2010, 10:39 AM   #17
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Actually the airport isn't really in that much trouble - it just lost its hub. You still have plenty of options here and it's not like U.S. Airways just packed up and left town. They pretty much own about a quarter of the terminal space. Not only that, it's also been voted one of the most secure airports in the country.

As for the topic, I'm really not surprised that Pittsburgh is a highly-educated city. The city has reinvented itself from a blue-collar based workforce to a major high-tech center. Google, Disney, Intel and Seagate all have research centers here, and the city along with other major companies have been spending a lot of money trying to keep and attract young people than lose them to other cities. In fact, the region has actually gained population for the first time in decades - the quality of education and technology fields, as well as health care and medical research, are a big reason for that.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:15 PM   #18
revefsreleets
Living Legend

The correlation between airport and city isn't a strong one. Look at Canton, OH. I read recently that Orlando was rated the best large airport in the Country, and CAK was the best regional airport in the Country. Canton the city is a literal trainwreck: Shrinking population, horrible unemployment, under-educated, high crime...
Old 04-23-2010, 01:56 PM   #19
WH

Member Number:

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
Actually the airport isn't really in that much trouble - it just lost its hub. You still have plenty of options here and it's not like U.S. Airways just packed up and left town. They pretty much own about a quarter of the terminal space. Not only that, it's also been voted one of the most secure airports in the country.
There was a rumor that they were going to move the Security Checkpoints to the other side of the Railway. Thus opening up the mall to more traffic. Again, it was just a rumor.