Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 04-30-2010, 10:49 AM   #31
WH

Member Number:
Default Re: Round 2 Eastern Conference Semi-Finals. Pens/Habs. LETS GO PENS!

I hate to post Mark Madden blogs, but I think this is right on:

Quote:
It might be unfair to call Alex Ovechkin a choke artist.

It might also be accurate.

Look at the proof: Zero goals in the last two games as 8 seed Montreal eliminates 1 seed Washington in this year's playoffs. Stoned by Marc-Andre Fleury on a breakaway with the season on the line in Game 7 against the Penguins last spring. Ovechkin netted in Game 7 when Washington was eliminated by Philadelphia in the 2008 playoffs, but didn't score in overtime. Joffrey Lupul did.

Add in Russia's disaster at this year's Olympics, and it's hard to draw many favorable conclusions about Ovechkin.

Maybe the most reasonable thing to say is: Ovechkin isn't too bright. Not as bright as Sidney Crosby, anyway.

Consider how Crosby has adjusted his game over the past year: Better at scoring, better at faceoffs, better at shootouts.

How has Ovechkin changed his game? He hasn't. If you're not getting better, you're getting worse. Or at least getting predictable.

Montreal defensemen Hal Gill and Josh Gorges were matched against Ovechkin for much of the first-round series between the Canadiens and Capitals. By the time series' end rolled around, Gill and Gorges has the rhythm of defending Ovechkin down pat, particularly when he attacked off the rush, as he prefers. Ovechkin doesn't like to go down low and cycle, so he won't wear opposition defensemen out.

Ovechkin, typically, barrels into the offensive zone and looks to cut inside for a shot. That's his forte.

Tell me what Crosby's forte is. His preference.

You can't. He doesn't have one. He's unpredictable.

Crosby is also a better leader. Ovechkin declined much comment after the Caps lost to Montreal and declined any after Russia stiffed in Vancouver. Crosby always faces the music. He soaks up the responsibility. Crosby wears the "C" because he's a legitimate leader. Ovechkin is captain because he's his team's best player.

Crosby, like his team, is built for the post-season: He's multi-faceted and inflicts collateral damage over the course of seven games. Ovechkin, like his team, is built for the regular season. He's a one-trick pony that can bury you on a given night. But, over the course of seven nights, not so much.

If Ovechkin isn't deserving of such sweeping criticism, his supporters and apologists certainly are. If Ovechkin wins his third straight NHL MVP, it will ring extremely hollow. How can anybody still think Ovechkin is better than Crosby?

As for Crosby, he'll settle for Stanley Cups. No one votes on those.
For those of you outside of Pittsburgh, Mark Madden is a loud mouth shock jock pompous ass. When it comes to Hockey, though, he knows his stuff.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:37 AM   #32
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

a good sign

Penguins Report: Practice 4/29/10
Thursday, 04.29.2010 / 11:00 AM / Penguins Report
By Sam Kasan

11:13 AM:
The Penguins were a much healthier group on the ice at Southpointe for Thursday's practice as they had their full compliment of skaters. Forwards Chris Kunitz and Tyler Kennedy and defenseman Jordan Leopold, all skated for Pittsburgh. It's a great sign for the Penguins on the injury front.

Leopold practiced Wednesday for the first time since suffering a head injury in Game 2 of the quarterfinals against Ottawa. Thursday's practice was Kennedy's first since leaving Game 4 at Ottawa with a lower body injury.

Kunitz hasn't missed a game, but has been absent for the team's last two practices. He is listed as day-to-day.
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:39 AM   #33
Fire Haley
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH View Post
Yet, she wants to be taken seriously as a sports broadcaster. Let me tell ya honey, ya ain't there for the in depth reporting.
I think she's a good sideline reporter - I just like saying "jiggling cleavage"
Old 04-30-2010, 12:11 PM   #34
Fire Haley
Banned

for luck...............

Old 04-30-2010, 12:23 PM   #35
Hotrodder07
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13485

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH View Post
I hate to post Mark Madden blogs, but I think this is right on:

For those of you outside of Pittsburgh, Mark Madden is a loud mouth shock jock pompous ass. When it comes to Hockey, though, he knows his stuff.
As much as I dislike Mark Madden, that was a great read. Thanks for posting it.

He was right on the money on almost everything he said there.

--

Can't wait for the game tonight! Let's go Pens!

I really don't want to see the Wings in the finals again. We beat them last year, so there's no reason for us to want a rematch. I'm sure most of the NHL fans out there do not want to see us or the Wings in the finals again, and I can't really blame them. Who would want the same team in the finals for 3 years in a row, besides us.

I don't really care who we play, as long as it's not the Wings. So I'm rooting for the Sharks for now.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:57 PM   #36
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Kunitz is in tonight; Kennedy, Leopold are out...
Old 04-30-2010, 01:08 PM   #37
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelpride12 View Post
Well Ill say this now. LET'S GO PENS! Game one tonight im so pumped baby! Me and the lady will be down watching the game on the big screen tonight so I wish our Pens luck tonight and cheer them on good everyone!
You might already know, but just an FYI....

Penguins won't show Sunday's game on outdoor screen
Friday, April 30, 2010
By Shelly Anderson, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Penguins will show Game 1 of their playoff series against Montreal tonight on the big outdoor screen by Gate 3 at Mellon Arena, but have opted not to stream Game 2 there.

The team said in a release it is "not permitted to show Game 2 on the outdoor screen Sunday afternoon in accordance with league broadcasting rights."

NBC, which is scheduled to televise the game Sunday, usually does not allow its games to be shown in such outdoor settings by NHL clubs, although Buffalo showed an NBC game in a similar fashion during the first round of this year's playoffs.

The rest of the Penguins' second-round games will be shown on the outdoor screen.

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:28 PM   #38
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Now why was Buffalo allowed to show an NBC game on a big screen, but the Pens can't? That's complete bullshit. I can see a Stanley Cup Final game, but a 2nd round game? Come on!
Old 04-30-2010, 01:37 PM   #39
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745

I don't get it either. It's odd to me how the seem to pick and choose what can and can't be shown... That's really the main reason I posted it. Well, that and I know Steelpride enjoys going down there.

Do you think the marathon has anything to do with it?

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:47 PM   #40
SteelCityMom

Member Number:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
I don't get it either. It's odd to me how the seem to pick and choose what can and can't be shown... That's really the main reason I posted it. Well, that and I know Steelpride enjoys going down there.

Do you think the marathon has anything to do with it?
No the marathon has nothing to do with it. It's just NBC. They did it last year and the year before too. CBC even offered to allow the Pens to use their broadcast last year for the games they weren't allowed to show and NBC wouldn't even allow that.