Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 05-13-2010, 09:46 AM   #1
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296
Default Should the Pens consider trading Malkin?

No, I'm not a Malkin hater, I love Geno. But it occurs to me that while Geno has played the good soldier to date, eventually he's going to want to emerge from Sid's shadow and be the face of a franchise. He's one of the top ten players in the league, you just can't expect him to happily play second banana through his peak years. So before we get to a "dying alive" scenario somewhere down the road maybe it's time to move him now? If you can get the right deal that is. Big if i know, I'm certainly not endorsing a fire sale. But if you do the research find the right partner and deal I think you strongly consider making the move.

There's also another factor to consider here as well, that being Jordon Staal who's quickly growing into a near elite player himself. How much longer can we stifle Staal by keeping him on the 3rd line? How many second line centers are better than Jordy right now? It's great having the best 3rd line center in hockey, but if you're defecient in other areas is it the smartest thing you can do?

It's like a farmer who has the 3 best tractors John Deere makes ,but his plow's and bush hogs are all second rate. Maybe his farming would be more effecient if he used his resources better and downgraded a tractor and upgraded his other equipment?

There's also money to consider.. Throwing so much money into one position in a league with a salary cap probably isn't the wisest thing to do either.

Anyway it's always better to make a trade a year too early than a week too late. It will be interesting to see if the Pens see it the same as I do?
Old 05-13-2010, 10:23 AM   #2
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550
Default Re: Should the Pens consider trading Malkin?

I had a guy ask this last Saturday at an estate sale I was working, and for exactly the same reason. And I will give you the same answer I gave him.

NO. CHANCE. IN. HELL.

If you want the Pens to remain a legitimate Stanley Cup contender, then you need elite talents like Malkin. Plus, there has been absolutely no indication from anyone associated with Malkin on the team or in real life that he is "tired of living in Sid's shadow." And besides, you will never get equal value in any trade involving Malkin, so they're better off keeping him around even if they WERE considering it, which they are not and never will.

Funny, we actually had people who thought the Pens should trade Sid early in the season when he was struggling, proving once again how fickle Pittsburgh fans in general and Pens fans in particular can be.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:41 AM   #3
Indo
Head Coach

Member Number: 11222

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
I had a guy ask this last Saturday at an estate sale I was working, and for exactly the same reason. And I will give you the same answer I gave him.

NO. CHANCE. IN. HELL.

If you want the Pens to remain a legitimate Stanley Cup contender, then you need elite talents like Malkin. Plus, there has been absolutely no indication from anyone associated with Malkin on the team or in real life that he is "tired of living in Sid's shadow." And besides, you will never get equal value in any trade involving Malkin, so they're better off keeping him around even if they WERE considering it, which they are not and never will.

Funny, we actually had people who thought the Pens should trade Sid early in the season when he was struggling, proving once again how fickle Pittsburgh fans in general and Pens fans in particular can be.
^^^^What he said.

And NO! We shouldn't get rid of Fleury, either!
Old 05-13-2010, 12:15 PM   #4
steelerdude15
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15774

No! We should not trade Malkin. Malkin is very key part of our team and a reason why they won the cup last year. He's a great player and great teammate. I would be simply heartbroken if Malkin were to leave the team.
steelerdude15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 01:14 PM   #5
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

NO NO NO! I don't know how anyone could ever even ask that question. Your reason's are farfetched to say the least and he is a star and will be in this league his entire career. The Pen's are a playoff contender these last few season's because of the help of him and he is a superstar and always will be.
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 02:10 PM   #6
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

HELL NO!!!!!!!!

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 02:52 PM   #7
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Hey while we're at it, why don't we trade away Fleury because he didn't play his greatest the last two games of the series....

I'm just saying

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 03:15 PM   #8
St33lersguy
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 8456

Why would you want to trade so much talent just because you already have your face of the franchise?
St33lersguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:20 PM   #9
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296

Everyone's making this something it''s not. If you're not smart enough to figure out that great players will eventually want to find their own spotlight then don't come crying to me in a couple years when things start to hit the wall with Geno.

Also not one of you have given a moments thought to Staal and what his future should and will be. You think he wants to be a 3rd liner forever?

And without looking can any of you name the 3rd line center on the Pens previous cup winers?

Yeah it's so vital to be 3 deep at center while your wingers mostly suck.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:38 PM   #10
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulater View Post
Everyone's making this something it''s not. If you're not smart enough to figure out that great players will eventually want to find their own spotlight then don't come crying to me in a couple years when things start to hit the wall with Geno.

Also not one of you have given a moments thought to Staal and what his future should and will be. You think he wants to be a 3rd liner forever?

And without looking can any of you name the 3rd line center on the Pens previous cup winers?

Yeah it's so vital to be 3 deep at center while your wingers mostly suck.
Uh, yeah...that would have been Bryan Trottier. Maybe you've heard of him? Don't think a guy who won 6 Stanley Cups as a player "sucks." BTW, the 4th line center on those teams was Phil Bourque...you know, that guy on the radio with The Legend? So yeah, it's pretty damn important to be strong down the middle if you want to win a Cup. The only difference between those teams and this one is that the wingers didn't suck.

Anyway, how long did Lemieux and Jagr play together? How about Sakic and Forsberg? Zetterberg, Datsyuk and Lidstrom? So it's not out of the realm of possibility that Crosby, Malkin and Staal will be together here for the next 5-10 years.

I suppose that any player can be traded. Even Wayne Gretzky was traded. But the reasoning behind it...nah, sorry. Not buying it. Malkin does not strike me as being so selfish that he'd actually want to be traded just so he can be "the guy." If anything, I think he likes that Sid has all of the spotlight, so that he can just play his game and not have to be the one dealing with the media game in and game out. Look, Geno doesn't have much left to prove to anyone. He's already won a scoring title, led the league in playoff scoring and a Conn Smythe. The latter 2 Crosby has not done yet. Let's not forget that he's also being paid like the elite superstar player that he is. So I highly doubt he's going to be "Mr. Moper" and force a trade in the next 2 years.