Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Bucs

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 28, 1:00 PM
FOX

Old 05-13-2010, 05:16 PM   #11
SMR
Starter

Member Number: 2111
Default Re: Should the Pens consider trading Malkin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
Uh, yeah...that would have been Bryan Trottier. Maybe you've heard of him? Don't think a guy who won 6 Stanley Cups as a player "sucks." BTW, the 4th line center on those teams was Phil Bourque...you know, that guy on the radio with The Legend? So yeah, it's pretty damn important to be strong down the middle if you want to win a Cup. The only difference between those teams and this one is that the wingers didn't suck.

Anyway, how long did Lemieux and Jagr play together? How about Sakic and Forsberg? Zetterberg, Datsyuk and Lidstrom? So it's not out of the realm of possibility that Crosby, Malkin and Staal will be together here for the next 5-10 years.

I suppose that any player can be traded. Even Wayne Gretzky was traded. But the reasoning behind it...nah, sorry. Not buying it. Malkin does not strike me as being so selfish that he'd actually want to be traded just so he can be "the guy." If anything, I think he likes that Sid has all of the spotlight, so that he can just play his game and not have to be the one dealing with the media game in and game out. Look, Geno doesn't have much left to prove to anyone. He's already won a scoring title, led the league in playoff scoring and a Conn Smythe. The latter 2 Crosby has not done yet. Let's not forget that he's also being paid like the elite superstar player that he is. So I highly doubt he's going to be "Mr. Moper" and force a trade in the next 2 years.
Ya nailed it, bud!

SMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:41 PM   #12
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
Uh, yeah...that would have been Bryan Trottier. Maybe you've heard of him? Don't think a guy who won 6 Stanley Cups as a player "sucks." BTW, the 4th line center on those teams was Phil Bourque...you know, that guy on the radio with The Legend? So yeah, it's pretty damn important to be strong down the middle if you want to win a Cup. The only difference between those teams and this one is that the wingers didn't suck.

Anyway, how long did Lemieux and Jagr play together? How about Sakic and Forsberg? Zetterberg, Datsyuk and Lidstrom? So it's not out of the realm of possibility that Crosby, Malkin and Staal will be together here for the next 5-10 years.

I suppose that any player can be traded. Even Wayne Gretzky was traded. But the reasoning behind it...nah, sorry. Not buying it. Malkin does not strike me as being so selfish that he'd actually want to be traded just so he can be "the guy." If anything, I think he likes that Sid has all of the spotlight, so that he can just play his game and not have to be the one dealing with the media game in and game out. Look, Geno doesn't have much left to prove to anyone. He's already won a scoring title, led the league in playoff scoring and a Conn Smythe. The latter 2 Crosby has not done yet. Let's not forget that he's also being paid like the elite superstar player that he is. So I highly doubt he's going to be "Mr. Moper" and force a trade in the next 2 years.
That's fine, and that's a reasoned responce.

I'm happy with Malkin, this thread has nothing to do with yesterday's result. I'd have posed the same hypothetical at some point even if the Pens had won another Cup this year.

I'm just wondering how and when this team is going to acquire some quality wingers? And while Trottier was valuable, he wasn't near as valuable as wingers like Mark Rechi, Kevin Stevens, Rick Tochett, Joey Mullen and Jaromir Jagr were to those Cup runs. It's ridiculous that with centers like we have that we don't have one winger that you'd project to a 30 goal season like all of the aforementioned wingers from our old Cup teams annually would project to.

And again you're still ignoring the emerging force that is Jordon Staal. Jordon's improved by leaps and bounds this past season. His play is still ascending, wouldn't you agree? He's arguably a first line center on many teams, is it fair to ask him to continue on in the role of a 3rd line center? Is it the best utilization of available talent?
Old 05-13-2010, 07:45 PM   #13
zulater
Team Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelpride12 View Post
NO NO NO! I don't know how anyone could ever even ask that question. Your reason's are farfetched to say the least and he is a star and will be in this league his entire career. The Pen's are a playoff contender these last few season's because of the help of him and he is a superstar and always will be.
What exactly is "farfetched" with my reasons?

Old 05-13-2010, 07:49 PM   #14
pittsburghp8baller
Head Coach
Supporter

Location: In A Place Where There Is No Other Hockey Fans!!!!!!
Member Number: 5365

I brought this up a couple years ago right before Malkin signed his new contract. I read an article about us getting Dustin Brown and Jack Johnson AND a first (which was used on Drew Doughty).

If Malkin didnt want to play second fiddle to Crosby he wouldnt of accepted a contract extention like that.

He would of said 'see ya later' and would signed for a butt load else where... (ironically probably LA).

Malkin doesnt strike me as someone who could be the 'face' of a franchise. Skill wise, he is as talented as anyone else in this league, but something just seems missing. Maybe its his english, but i dont quite see him being put in charge of a franchise.

Zulator
Quote:
You think he wants to be a 3rd liner forever?
dont know how many 3rd line centers play nearly 20 minutes a game. Nik Backstrom, only played 45 more seconds per game as the Capitals FIRST Line Center.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:57 PM   #15
zulater
Team Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghp8baller View Post
I brought this up a couple years ago right before Malkin signed his new contract. I read an article about us getting Dustin Brown and Jack Johnson AND a first (which was used on Drew Doughty).

If Malkin didnt want to play second fiddle to Crosby he wouldnt of accepted a contract extention like that.

He would of said 'see ya later' and would signed for a butt load else where... (ironically probably LA).

Malkin doesnt strike me as someone who could be the 'face' of a franchise. Skill wise, he is as talented as anyone else in this league, but something just seems missing. Maybe its his english, but i dont quite see him being put in charge of a franchise.

Zulator

dont know how many 3rd line centers play nearly 20 minutes a game. Nik Backstrom, only played 45 more seconds per game as the Capitals FIRST Line Center.
It's also about who you play with and when. But then again with our wingers there's not a helluva lot of difference between the first and third lines, so I guess you got a point.

Boy I wish we had some better wings.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:57 PM   #16
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulater View Post
It's also about who you play with and when. But then again with our wingers there's not a helluva lot of difference between the first and third lines, so I guess you got a point.

Boy I wish we had some better wings.
Not like the re is something called FA coming up. I hear it starts on July 1.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:13 PM   #17
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulater View Post
That's fine, and that's a reasoned responce.

I'm happy with Malkin, this thread has nothing to do with yesterday's result. I'd have posed the same hypothetical at some point even if the Pens had won another Cup this year.

I'm just wondering how and when this team is going to acquire some quality wingers? And while Trottier was valuable, he wasn't near as valuable as wingers like Mark Rechi, Kevin Stevens, Rick Tochett, Joey Mullen and Jaromir Jagr were to those Cup runs. It's ridiculous that with centers like we have that we don't have one winger that you'd project to a 30 goal season like all of the aforementioned wingers from our old Cup teams annually would project to.

And again you're still ignoring the emerging force that is Jordon Staal. Jordon's improved by leaps and bounds this past season. His play is still ascending, wouldn't you agree? He's arguably a first line center on many teams, is it fair to ask him to continue on in the role of a 3rd line center? Is it the best utilization of available talent?
I'm not ignoring Staal's presence on the team. Personally, I think his future is riding shotgun with Malkin on the 2nd line - he has, after all, put up his best numbers while playing with him. He will not be a 3rd line center forever. His brother Eric moved to wing mid-season, and he flourished after struggling most of the season playing center. I see Jordan doing the same. Then they can use Max Talbot or one of the young centers they have in the minors to take over the 3rd line duties. We'll see what happens, but I think that is what Shero has had in mind all along.

As for the winger problem, I've been complaining about this for the past 4 years. Thing is, with them having so much money tied up in the Big 5, there's only so much money left to go around, so it hurts their ability to bring in quality wingers. The only way they could get a winger like you described is if they developed one of their own, and that is where they have failed miserably and why I was so against them trading Caputi for Poni. After Tangradi, they have absolutely no one who legitimately projects to even a 25-goal scorer at wing, which is what I think Tangradi will be - and remember they had to trade for him. They should trade in some of their massive young depth on D to try and land a legit top-6 winger - that's the only other way they'll be able to get one outside of the draft, especially if they re-sign Gonchar.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:17 PM   #18
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

Trading Malkin is the dumbest thing Ive read in awhile.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:30 PM   #19
zulater
Team Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeiselPower99 View Post
Trading Malkin is the dumbest thing Ive read in awhile.
You don't read much I gather. You certainly didn't take the time to read the opening post, or if you did your comprehension skills are certainly lacking.

I'm fine that you disagree with the thought of trading Malkin. But there is sound logic to it and the possibility that it will someday happen is more than remote.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:33 PM   #20
Shea
Head Coach

Member Number: 5066

I don't know how to respond to this thread without being a major bitch.
Shea is offline   Reply With Quote