Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 03-16-2006, 08:17 PM   #1
Hawk Believer
Team Captain

Member Number: 1580
Default How much is a guard worth?

So most of you have probably heard that the Vikings have offered Steve Hutchinson $49 mil over 7 years with 16 million guarenteed. By far the sweetest deal for a guard ever.

So the question is...... What is the most that you feel is reasonable to pay for a guard under any circumstance? Even if he is arguably the best in the game with a lot of years in front of him. Or maybe the better way to look at is what percentage of your cap money would you be willing to spend on a guard?

What position would you spend the least on (besides a kicker...)?
Old 03-16-2006, 08:22 PM   #2
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591
Default Re: How much is a guard worth?

Well, the best OG in the game is Alan Faneca, and he will make 3.7 million for the 2006 season. Make of that what you will...
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 08:24 PM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,552 Times in 3,980 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk Believer
So most of you have probably heard that the Vikings have offered Steve Hutchinson $49 mil over 7 years with 16 million guarenteed. By far the sweetest deal for a guard ever.

So the question is...... What is the most that you feel is reasonable to pay for a guard under any circumstance? Even if he is arguably the best in the game with a lot of years in front of him. Or maybe the better way to look at is what percentage of your cap money would you be willing to spend on a guard?

if he does have lots of years ahead of him and if he is the best guard, in 6 years, 7 mil/ year will probably be cheap.

going by the steelers giving back up t.e. tuman over 1 mil / year while not even entertaining c. hope i would say safety is the position id give the least to. unless its polamalu and then i make him the highest paid safety in the game.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 08:34 PM   #4
Hawk Believer
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
if he does have lots of years ahead of him and if he is the best guard, in 6 years, 7 mil/ year will probably be cheap.

going by the steelers giving back up t.e. tuman over 1 mil / year while not even entertaining c. hope i would say safety is the position id give the least to. unless its polamalu and then i make him the highest paid safety in the game.
I guess that is a good way to look at it. The cap hit will be smaller as the cieling gets raised each year. I almost feel like we should suck it up and pay him. No sense in paying Alexander big bucks if we don't keep the line solid.

Probably not fair to compare a Polamalu contract against other safeties since he seems to play every position.....
Old 03-16-2006, 08:56 PM   #5
hardwork
Banned

Member Number: 342

Quote:

I wouldn't pay Jim Parker or Hog Hannah that kind of money. Unless you got the two of them together. Imagine those two on the same line?
hardwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 11:00 PM   #6
MattsMe
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2044

When I first heard of the Viking's offer I thought it was insane. But then I thought of Shaun Alexander.

My conclusion? Any guard who can get that many yards for a back like Alexander, priceless.

Before I'm accused of attacking Alexander or not giving him the 'respect' he deserves, I'll add this:

Shaun is a good back, maybe even a great one. Obviously, he had an outstanding year. But he seems to me like a 12-1300 yard back during his good years, and just under 1000 when things aren't set up perfectly for him like they were this year. (great line, fairly weak schedule, pact with the devil, etc.) Just kidding..............his schedule wasn't that weak.

Last edited by MattsMe; 03-17-2006 at 02:25 AM.
MattsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 11:28 AM   #7
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 328

Not to be a homer, but... back in 2002 when the Steelers resigned Alan Faneca it was for 26 million over six years with 6 million guaranteed. Faneca has been recognized as one of the best gaurd in the NFL, but that contract was signed a long time ago. His contract was a decent size for a gaurd back then... especially for the Steelers. Considering inflation, I would want to see may team pay more than 5-6 million a year for one of the top gaurds in the NFL.

This also goes back to Tony's point about how in six years it may seem like a good deal for one of the best gaurds.
Old 03-17-2006, 05:12 PM   #8
Hawk Believer
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB2W
Not to be a homer, but... back in 2002 when the Steelers resigned Alan Faneca it was for 26 million over six years with 6 million guaranteed. Faneca has been recognized as one of the best gaurd in the NFL, but that contract was signed a long time ago. His contract was a decent size for a gaurd back then... especially for the Steelers. Considering inflation, I would want to see may team pay more than 5-6 million a year for one of the top gaurds in the NFL.

This also goes back to Tony's point about how in six years it may seem like a good deal for one of the best gaurds.
Now I hear that the NFL is challenging the Vikings offer as a violation of the players agreement and the Seahawks don't need to match it under the transition tag rules. An arbitrater is going to sort it out. Hmmm.
Old 03-17-2006, 05:21 PM   #9
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,552 Times in 3,980 Posts

Quote:
Now I hear that the NFL is challenging the Vikings offer as a violation of the players agreement and the Seahawks don't need to match it under the transition tag rules. An arbitrater is going to sort it out. Hmmm.
yeah, thats wierd, i dont understand. what i was hearing is that seattle was ready to match the offer which, going back to the point in this thread, i think seattle would be making the right move. hopefully you get to keep him even cheaper. with moss and culpepper leaving minn. theres noone on that team i even care to watch.

besides if dallas strikes gold with a semi-sane t.o. i will be looking to the seahawks to knock them of the high horse theyre so used to riding.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 10:50 PM   #10
MagicHawk
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1797

It has to do with only matching the principal terms of the offer and the rumor is there is a poison pill clause in the contract that would garantee the whole contract throughout its life and he would have to be the highest paid lineman on the team. The same thing happened to Indianapolis in 1993 and the language was altered to disallow such manuevering so I guess the NFL stepped in and filed a grievence on the behalf of the Seahawks. Either way it seems a bit shady.