Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 12:09 AM   #11341
Shea
Head Coach

Member Number: 5066
Default Re: Pens Tidbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH View Post
i know it happens all the time, but 7 teeth?
Yep seven. And I get it - gives you the heebie-jeebies just thinking about it doesn't it?

But I've seen it happen before, and will unfortunately see it happen again.

If I had it my way, every hockey player in the NHL would wear the full protective helmets and masks as you see in the women's league, but that will never fly.

And because of it, like all those that have come before them, hockey player's will be on a first name basis with their dentists.

Hell their dentist probably gets an annual Birthday AND Christmas card.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:05 PM   #11342
SteelCityMom

Member Number:

New-look Penguins ready to start in new home
Wednesday, 08.25.2010 / 3:00 AM / 30 in 30 By Sergei J. Feldman - NHL.com Staff Writer

For the past few seasons, that sentiment has more so been the story of the Pittsburgh Penguins.

After watching the Detroit Red Wings celebrate with the Stanley Cup at Mellon Arena in 2008 (the "they were out" part), the Penguins responded the following season in the grandest of fashions, by engaging in a similar celebration after defeating that very team at Joe Louis Arena (the "they pulled themselves back in" part).

But last season, the defending champs -- picked by many to repeat in the chase for the Cup, especially when the Eastern Conference seemingly was there for the taking after Washington's first-round elimination -- were ousted in what turned out to be the final game at Mellon Arena when the No. 8-seeded Montreal Canadiens defeated Pittsburgh in Game 7 of the conference semifinals.

Take Oct. 7, 2010, for instance. That date marks the first game at the new Consol Energy Center, located across the street from the old barn. Joining the festivities will be none other than the archrival Philadelphia Flyers. In the city of Pittsburgh, there's no better way for the Penguins to break in their new home.

The home arena won't be the only new thing with the Penguins. Equally as new will be the product on the ice thanks to a summer of roster changes.

Management, coaches, players and fans will hope that all the new will breed a continued familiar pattern.

It was a summer of goodbyes for the Penguins this offseason.

Defenseman and top power-play quarterback Sergei Gonchar, who became an unrestricted free agent July 1, elected to sign with the Ottawa Senators. Gonchar had spent the last five seasons with the Penguins and performed like a top defenseman year in and year out. During his time with the Penguins, Gonchar registered 259 points in 322 games.

Almost as important as Gonchar's on-ice production was his off-ice leadership. The Russian always was seen as a calming influence in the dressing room, and nowhere was it more evident than in his relationship with countryman Evgeni Malkin. When Malkin arrived in Pittsburgh, Gonchar moved Malkin into his house and eased him into life in the United States and the NHL.

Gonchar wasn't the only blueliner moving on. Mark Eaton, a solid defensive defenseman, signed with the New York Islanders. A shot-blocking machine, Eaton regularly sacrificed his body in front of shots and provided the Penguins' defense with championship toughness during his four seasons.

Jay McKee, brought in last season for blue-line depth, also is a free agent unlikely to return.

Ruslan Fedotenko, another UFA who clung to the reputation of being able to produce in the playoffs, also appears to have spent his final days in a Penguins sweater. Fedotenko had a disappointing regular season, and despite the belief that he'd produce when it mattered, had an equally disappointing postseason. He scored just 11 goals in 80 regular-season games and was pointless in six Stanley Cup Playoff games.

Alexei Ponikarovsky, brought in at the trade deadline to add a top-six forward scoring presence to the lineup, underachieved as a member of the Penguins, scoring just twice in 16 games following his acquisition from the Maple Leafs, and he scored just once in 11 playoff games.

With Gonchar and Eaton moving on, GM Ray Shero re-worked his defense.

On July 1, the first day of free agency, free agents Paul Martin and Zbynek Michalek opted to sign five-year deals with the Penguins.

Martin, formerly of the New Jersey Devils, adds a strong, structured and experienced defensive game to a team looking for those very elements. In addition, his ability to move the puck up ice will bode well for a team with explosive up-front talent.

Michalek is a solid defensive player. A right-handed shot, he brings a different look to the Penguins. Mostly, though, he will be relied upon for his impressive two-way game and his physicality.

Many have labeled the Penguins the winners of this year's free agency period and Martin and Michalek are the primary reasons. A secondary reason is a secondary player. Veteran tough-guy Aaron Asham, specifically. Asham signed a one-year deal with the Penguins and brings a recent Stanley Cup Finals appearance to the table.

Shero's philosophy has long been that you can't have too many of those on a team. Moreover, though, Asham has the ability to score some goals. He could be a surprise candidate on a line with either Crosby, Malkin or Staal.

Despite nearly winning the Atlantic Division and advancing to the second round of the playoffs, the Penguins had an inconsistent and disappointing season.

Criticized for an up-and-down campaign, goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury will need to bounce back if the Penguins want to be Cup contenders. Fleury was one of the more important -- if not the most important -- pieces on the team that reached the Cup Final in consecutive seasons.

The acquisitions of Martin, Michalek, along with holdovers Brooks Orpik, Kris Letang and Alex Goligoski, should go a long way in helping the Penguins keep pucks from getting behind Fleury.

On offense, it's hard not to pinpoint Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and Jordan Staal as vital pieces. The "Big Three" will be relied upon heavily to produce goals and points, especially since the highest-scoring non-center returning from last season's team is Pascal Dupuis, who had just 38 points.

One option available for coach Dan Bylsma is to shift Staal onto the wing on Malkin's line. That combination has been used before and has worked quite effectively. Other choices include relying on the emergence of prospects. Erik Tangradi, Dustin Jeffrey, Nick Johnson, Chris Conner and Mark Letestu are among the candidates to take over the one or two available top-six forward positions.

Training camp next month figures to be especially competitive, which only will help the Penguins in their pursuit of the Stanley Cup in the inaugural season of the Consol Energy Center.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=536208

Old 08-25-2010, 01:06 PM   #11343
SteelCityMom

Member Number:

UP-AND-COMING: 3 PLAYERS TO WATCH

Tyler Kennedy, RW -- Considered an integral part of "the best third line in hockey," Kennedy provided the Penguins with great energy last season, but not as much production. The gritty, speedy forward has the tools to post 15-20 goals a season, and with questionable depth on the wings, Kennedy has an opportunity to showcase his talents in an increased role.

Alex Goligoski, D -- With his first full season in the NHL under his belt, Goligoski will look to be more consistent after an up-and-down season. He started red-hot, with 12 points and a plus-12 rating in 14 October games, but had just 12 points over his next 30 games. Another year of experience should help the gifted offensive-minded defenseman.

Ben Lovejoy, D -- Lovejoy has received nothing but praise in his few NHL appearances. Having spent most of last season in the AHL, Lovejoy will be relied upon to battle for a spot on the defense come opening night. He figures to be a sixth defenseman, but it will be up to him to show otherwise.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=536208

Old 08-25-2010, 01:08 PM   #11344
SteelCityMom

Member Number:

Penguins Add Feisty Asham to Lineup
Friday, 08.20.2010 / 9:03 PM / Features
By Sam Kasan
The Takeaway:
> Penguins sign forward Arron Asham to a one-year contract
> Asham played with Philadelphia the past two seasons, and helped the Flyers win the Eastern Conference title last season
> Asham is a tough, physical forward that plays with an edge
> Asham chose to sign with the Penguins because of the team’s championship prospects

Arron Asham knows all about the heated rivalry between the Pittsburgh Penguins and Philadelphia Flyers. The gritty forward has been a part of the rivalry for the past two seasons, wearing black and orange, and suffered a first-round playoff loss to the Penguins in the 2008-09 postseason – as Pittsburgh went on to win its third Stanley Cup.

But the next time Asham suits up in the rivalry he’ll be wearing black and gold after signing a one-year, $700,000 contract with the Penguins (click here for media release).

“My time in Philly was great but it’s in the past now,” Asham said. “It is a great rivalry and fun to be a part of. I’m just switching sides. I’m still going out there and playing my hardest. I’m doing what it takes to win and playing good hockey. All friendships are put on hold until the game is over. It’s a great rivalry and I’m looking forward to it.”

Asham played 150 games with the Flyers the past two years, amassing 18 goals, 44 points and 281 penalty minutes. He’s chipped in nine points (5G-4A) in 29 postseason with Philadelphia.

During the Flyers’ 2010 Eastern Conference title run, Asham set career postseason highs with four goals and seven points in 23 games. He scored a key goal in Game 5 of the Eastern Conference finals against Montreal to give Philadelphia a 2-1 lead in an eventual series-clinching 4-2 victory.

The 5-foot-11, 205-pound forward enjoyed the run, even if it did end with a bitter defeat to the Chicago Blackhawks in six games in the Stanley Cup Final.

“It was great. It was definitely a great learning experience,” Asham said. “It’s definitely disappointing to get that far and not win. We battled back from Boston, down 3-0, and win that series. And to lose to Chicago the way we did. It’s disappointing but I gained lot of experience. I just want to work hard on a new chapter of my career.“

In the new chapter of his career, the Portage La Prairie, Manitoba native journeys to the Steel City where he’ll bring a feisty, energetic and edgy style of play to the Penguins lineup. He loves to play a physical brand of hockey and will drop the gloves when necessary.

“I know my role on the team and know what I can do,” Asham said. “It’s just go and play as hard as you can. It’s up to the coaches but I hope to crack the top three lines.

“I’m hoping to play a regular shift. That’s all I ask. I’m capable of playing a regular shift but it’s up to the coaches.”

Asham chose to sign with the Penguins, because he felt Pittsburgh gave him the best chance at realizing his life-long goal.

“Basically I want to get back to the Final and have chance to win the Cup,” he said. “Pittsburgh over the last three, four years has always been there. They won it two years ago. I thought my best chance was with the Pittsburgh Penguins. I’m excited to come here and continue my quest for the Cup.”

In closing, he added:

“I’m happy to be a Penguin.”

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.ht...id=DL|PIT|home

Old 08-26-2010, 03:54 PM   #11345
SteelCityMom

Member Number:

Report: Staal has setback with foot
Thursday, 08.26.2010 / 3:41 PM / 2010 Offseason News
NHL.com

According to a Pittsburgh Post-Gazette report, center Jordan Staal has experienced some difficulty with his right foot and will be re-evaluated next week to see if he will be ready to participate in training camp.

Penguins general manager Ray Shero said the tendon on the top of Staal's foot that was cut April 30 is strong, but that there are other issues hindering Staal.

"This is a matter of whether he will be ready for training camp and then, if not, when can he go hard," Shero told the paper

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=536484

Hope it gets better for him soon...I'd hate to see him miss any training/game time. I don't think he will though, considering he only missed one playoff game after having a tendon in his foot sliced through with a skate. I know he'll work as hard as he can to get back to top form ASAP.

Old 08-26-2010, 03:57 PM   #11346
SteelCityMom

Member Number:

Report: Pens won't re-sign Guerin
Thursday, 08.26.2010 / 11:48 AM / NHL Free Agency 2010
NHL.com

According to TSN's Darren Dreger, the Pittsburgh Penguins have told veteran forward Bill Guerin he will not be re-signed.

Guerin, 39, an unrestricted free agent, scored 21 goals and 24 assists last season in 78 games and added 4 goals and 5 assists in 11 playoff games.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=536467

Definitely gonna miss Billy G. He was a huge locker room figure for Sid and many others and brought a lot to the team. I saw this coming though when they signed Asham. Best of luck to him though wherever he goes.

Old 08-26-2010, 03:58 PM   #11347
SteelCityMom

Member Number:

NHL unveils 2010-11 national television schedule
League partners building on three years of ratings, viewership growth

Read more here...http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=536384

Old 08-27-2010, 08:12 AM   #11348
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

Its very tough for a team to do as well as us for so long but I think were going to be holding the cup again this season. We had some nice pickups to help our defense and barring injury I belive we will have the best team in the NHL this year.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:44 PM   #11349
Shea
Head Coach

I'm sad Billy G is gone and don't care if Staal misses training camp as long as he gets healthy.

I'm just worried that his injury will follow him into the regular season. We really need him on D and PK.

And those SHG's. One of my favorite hockey moments!
Old 08-30-2010, 10:53 PM   #11350
Shea
Head Coach

Since Mom and I seem to be temporarily the only Pens fanatics around here ....

Not usually one to think of Geno as cutie, other than his personality, but he's looking pretty good in that one.
Closed Thread