Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-23-2006, 09:47 PM   #1
DIESELMAN
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1031
Default Steelers drafting for 2007.....

The Pittsburgh Steelers approach this year?s draft without any pressing needs. They also approach the 2006 season without any key players in a contract year.

While the media addresses the small concerns of the upcoming season, GM Kevin Colbert is looking at an off-season catastrophe in 2007. Extending Ike Taylor or replacing a slot receiver passes as news, but either story has little to do with the draft.

Any front office would be glad to sit in Colbert?s chair. His work is vindicated with a Super Bowl trophy and almost all his starters won?t be free agents until after the 2007 season. The Pittsburgh Steelers are content to stand pat for 2006 and defend their title.

Colbert needs to fill a few holes at wide receiver or, perhaps, running back in the upcoming draft. But he could do nothing and still field a Super Bowl competitive team.

For the rest of 2006, Colbert can coast. Come 2007, the Steelers face a host of difficult decisions.

DE Aaron Smith, OLB Joey Porter, OG Alan Faneca, OLB Clark Haggans, and SS Troy Polamalu are all free agents after the 2007 season. Which players will Colbert extend like Hines Ward and Casey Hampton, and which players will he let twist in the wind such as Chris Hope?

The Steelers will have plenty of cap room after next March, about $16 million. Can you remember the last time the Steelers had that much money with which to play?

Colbert can visit free agency as he has never before. That is a scary thought in and of itself. But he can also extend any player he wishes, but at a dear price. He?ll need some leverage in those negotiations. He?ll need some strong draft picks.

Throwing more money at C Chukky Okobi makes much more sense when you consider the when the big contracts end. Cowher must find the next generation in edge rushers for his 3-4 scheme. You can worry about a center next year.

Cowher bombed with DE/LB Alonzo Jackson. Colbert let OLB Marcus Washington leave town. The long term situation at linebacker is desperate. The Steelers must find a promising OLB prospect in the upcoming draft.

That is just a front line consideration. DE Travis Kirschke, DT Chris Hoke, FB Dan Krieder, and OG Kendall Simmons will also seek extensions. They probably won?t receive one, but the Steelers will have to rebuild that depth.

A bad 2006 draft could prove to be disastrous.

Pulling in the other direction is the passing attack and QB Ben Roethlisberger. The Steelers are poised to change offensive philosophy and embrace their franchise player, the guy that carried them through the playoffs.

The Steelers were not built to compliment the quarterback, but to compensate for his shortcomings. TE Heath Miller aside, Roethlisberger would require some more weapons. The Steelers have done little in free agency, leading to speculation about their intentions on Day 1.

Colbert would do well to entice another team to give up their first round pick in order to sign Ike Taylor. CB Deshea Townsend?s recent contract will keep him in Pittsburgh at least two more years, likely three. CB Bryant McFadden is a keeper and the coaching staff, at least, thinks well enough of CB Ricardo Colclough.

If the Steelers can?t sign Taylor cheap or sucker another team to give up a draft pick for his services, the Dirt figures he?ll play out his RFA tender and then test the market next year.

Beyond the most immediate needs are Colbert?s draft plans. The team, as Bettis pointed out, will need some help along the interior of the offensive line. Cowher will red shirt his next prized outside linebacker. And, with apologies to Ryan Clark, the Steelers will try to land another stud safety.

In the big picture, Taylor is expendable. And if Roethlisberger is as good as some think he is, he can make a mediocre receiver look good. Colbert will try to solve tomorrow?s problems today, the real need's still a year away.

By Jim Russell
SteelCityInsider.com
Date: Mar 23, 2006

BOW DOWN TO THE BLACK AND GOLD!!!!!
DIESELMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 01:01 AM   #2
Midnightwriter1
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2182
Default Re: Steelers drafting for 2007.....

The Steelers will have plenty of cap room after next March, about $16 million. Can you remember the last time the Steelers had that much money with which to play?

This is misleading given that we will be singing at least a couple of those guys back and some bonuses will kick in to shrink that amount. As with every year we will lose a few to F/A ... a few will be on the way out anyway. Hartings contract will free up more space when he is cut as well. We have 2 years to draft and i think this is why we really need to spend the first 3 picks on DE/ DL / LB because that is where we may get hit the hardest given that we do have replacements on the OL already. We do great in the draft normally so i am sure it will be interesting and who wwe draft early this year may tell us who they dont plan on signing extensions for after 2007.

i just knew they were dangling Taylor for that first round pick !!
Midnightwriter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 05:28 AM   #3
stillthere
Water Boy

Member Number: 1182

As for the OLB position. Haggans came along real nice last season. He will make me happy if he can go the whole year injury free though. I think he is going to break out next season. I also really like Andre Frazier on the corner as well as the pass rusher we have in Harrison. Should we look at an OLB? Yes but I don't feel the same concern you seem to. Look for a kid to battle and groom under Porter, Haggans and the rest. Tender Harrison an offer that gets us a 3rd or maybe even a 1st next year that would not be more than say 1.7 mil. If the Browns or someone wants him we get a nice draft pick as comp.

DE Nua is going to impress people and be part of the rotation next season. Can he stuff the run as well as Kimo did? Not sure yet but he is strong as an ox. The team felt enough about him to cut Kranchick and bring Nua up to the active roster when San Fran started to look at him. We may actually have a 4 man DE rotation with Keisel, Smith, Bailey, and Nua. That could keep them all fresh over the course of a season. Plus Hoke backing up Casey in the middle.

The player that intrigues me the most in the front 7 is Goo. Rian Wallace may be able to wrestle a spot from Foote and give us even more youth in the LB corp not to mention an additional 2 million in money with Foote getting cut. The kid is a hitting machine (hence the nickname 'Goo' when he hits you. You splatter)
stillthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 06:44 AM   #4
Dook
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 906

$16 million in salary cap room next year? That must include the expected increase in total salary cap each year. Also Hartings will be gone so that will free up some money but we'll probably take a Center for depth in the draft next year.

Polo has got to be the priority next year and he's going to get a ton of money. I don't see us re-signing Porter, he's going to get $5m next season and is pricing himself out of a job.

Aaron Smith and Faneca are going to get attention from other teams. I'd like to see them all come back but likely Haggans is the only one we'll be able to keep.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:39 AM   #5
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

I don't buy the line about Taylor being expendable.

As for the darft, well, this line:

DE Aaron Smith, OLB Joey Porter, OG Alan Faneca, OLB Clark Haggans, and SS Troy Polamalu are all free agents after the 2007 season.

Says it all. Outside of the few needs they have to address for '06, these are the positions they will look to draft for (It's the"Eagles plan"...draft guys to replace future FA departures). So, maybe?

Rd 1 WR or OLB
Rd 2 WR, OLB or RB
RD 3 RB, S or OG

and so on and so forth....
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 09:16 AM   #6
MNsteelers
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 841

I think the writer is getting a little ahead of himself here. Colbert is well-aware who is up for FA next year, and I'm sure plans are being put in place for their departure. The Steelers had a similar situation in 1999 when their roster got fleeced, and I think they have a stronger understanding of who can stay, and more importantly, who SHOULD stay. Polamalu obviously isn't going anywhere. He's the face of the franchise (yes, including Ben). I think Faneca will be affordable as well. If Pittsburgh drafts Bobby Carpenter this year, Porter will leave after the 06 season.

I personally love what Harrison (Silverback) does. I don't mind at all putting him in there for MAYBE $2 million and let Porter go build his nest egg. Haggans won't be able to demand too much, so maybe Porter will, as someone else on here said, price himself out of Pittsburgh. And it's not as if THAT doesn't happen every year.

But getting rid of a player Pittsburgh has already developed to be on the brink of being an elite player like Ike for a first-round pick? No, thanks. One in the air is better than two in the bush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim
I don't buy the line about Taylor being expendable.

As for the darft, well, this line:

DE Aaron Smith, OLB Joey Porter, OG Alan Faneca, OLB Clark Haggans, and SS Troy Polamalu are all free agents after the 2007 season.

Says it all. Outside of the few needs they have to address for '06, these are the positions they will look to draft for (It's the"Eagles plan"...draft guys to replace future FA departures). So, maybe?

Rd 1 WR or OLB
Rd 2 WR, OLB or RB
RD 3 RB, S or OG

and so on and so forth....
MNsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 12:55 PM   #7
SteelersNation7
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 466

I like Ike also but...that is an interesting take....their some reall good talent if you could get an extra first round pick.... say we could get Donte Whitner...than a Mangold...get a second round WR like a Skyler Green...would it be worth talking about ? YES.
SteelersNation7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 07:21 PM   #8
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

Again, these shutdown corners only come around once in a generation, and Ike is showing that he could be the next Rod Woodson.

No way the Steelers give that up.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 10:59 PM   #9
TasmanianTroy271
Team Captain

Member Number: 544

I think during 07, we definately sign back Troy. He's gonna be the face of the defense. As for Aaron Smith, I think we'll bring him back. He knows our system, and he's good at what he does. I also think we'll sign back Faneca, just because I don't think he'll want to go anywhere else, and we respect him. He's a leader on the team, and will probably be the equivalent to Bettis now. Saying that, Kendall Simmons will be gone, and Kemo will come up and take his place.

With LB, We probably won't lose both Haggans and Porter, we'll keep whichever we want to. Harrison and Frazier are going to be good LB, Harrison is like a little Porter, Big, Nasty and Mean, and Frazier is like a Haggans, A solid player, but a little injury prone. They'll fill in nicely. As for Goo Wallace, if he can compete for a starting job, we won't cut Foote loose. We'll rotate him (Wallace) in for Farrior and he'll be the replacement for Farrior once he retires. People forget, but Farrior is gonna be 33 after the 2007 season and it'll be his 12th season. He might retire and that'd free up alot of cap room.

One person people are forgetting in that list of Important 07 FA's is Danny Kreider. He's one of the most underated Fullbacks in the lead, and I'm pretty sure Jerome mentioned that more than once while he was with us. I really hope he comes back.
Old 03-25-2006, 11:22 PM   #10
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

I would like to see them extend Faneca next year. Before he hits the market.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote