Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 11:17 PM   #1
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts
Default New Official Pens Tidbits Thread

May the curse be officially lifted.

I christen this thread the New Official Pens Tidbits Thread.

Let the winning begin.

LET'S GO PENS!!!

*Disclaimer*

Should the Pens continue to lose, please direct all hate mail towards Killer @ SteelersFever.com.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:22 PM   #2
Shea
Head Coach

Member Number: 5066
Default Re: New Official Pens Tidbits Thread

Quote:
Should the Pens continue to lose, please direct all hate mail towards Killer @ SteelersFever.com.
As it should be!

Great picture of my hockey god and love the new thread. Out with the old in with the new.

Let's go Pens!
Old 10-10-2010, 11:32 PM   #3
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Penguins Report: Practice 10/10/10

Sunday, 10.10.2010 / 11:08 AM / Penguins Report
By Sam Kasan

1:20 PM:
Coachspeak with Dan Bylsma....

On what he wants to see from Pascal Dupuis:
Better puck management, a little more speed and getting on pucks and creating things. Some of the details of what made him successful last year have not been there and he’s gotten away from that in his game.
On changing up the lines:
I think some players have played well and done some good things and, given that, they deserve the opportunity and vice versa. Some players haven’t done as well and were counted on in those situations. It’s not so much a shakeup in lines. Mark Letestu has done some good things and he’s done a good job in the middle there and he’s going to get a chance to do it with Evgeni Malkin.
On Letestu playing with Malkin:
The best asset (Letestu) brings is his smarts in playing the game. His goal is an example of detail and smarts, knowing the opposition and knowing what’s going to happen on the ice and getting an opportunity because of it. Then he has some pretty good skill to make plays and get a shot on. In the first game, he got a loose puck and hit the post, and he went backhand forehand and hit the post on a nice move. And last game, he wasn’t the only guy to get in the slot in the game, and he goes backhand forehand and scores five-hole. So he’s got some skills to go along with the real, smart, intuitive hockey knowledge and it’s putting him in good spots.On the details of the game:
A big part of our game is the details of the game. And that can be anything from our stick and angling to positional details. Those details are extremely important and we count on every individual to do that. Over the course of a hockey game, there are thousands of details. If someone misses one, it doesn’t always end up in the net, but those details are big factors. Coming out of D-zone coverage (in Saturday’s game), we had an opportunity to do that, but we didn’t take it and they get the game-tying goal because of that. That’s something we pride ourselves on and it’s a big part of our game, but we weren’t able to do it (Saturday night).
On studying how New Jersey found success against the Penguins last year:
We did look at it from a couple different angles, and I think one thing was we felt like our emotional control and our ability to stay the course, in all the games, was a big factor leading to the outcome. Early on they got leads or a power-play goal and we did not react well. The last few games, the games were close and tight, but we weren’t able to keep our emotions in focus and it took us off our game for periods of times in those games. Special teams are a big factor in those games. I think they were 3 for 14 and we were 0 for 17 or something. That will be a factor for sure. Talking to Paul Martin, they didn’t do anything special against us, other than the fact that they know they are going to try to limit our chances and limit our opportunities and play a smothering game and frustrate us.

Assist: Tony Jovenitti
__________________________________________________ _________________________
12:54 PM:
Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma was non-committal on Sunday morning when he was asked by reporters if there was a chance Brent Johnson could make the starti in goal against the Devils on Monday.

"That’s a game-decision on that one," Bylsma said.

- by Jason Seidling__________________________________________________ _________________________

11:27 AM:

Sidney Crosby (left)

Eric Tangradi and coach Dan Bylsma (left); Mike Rupp (right)

Mark Letestu (left); Crosby (right)

Pascal Dupuis (left)
__________________________________________________ _________________________

11:10 AM:
The Penguins' Sunday practice at CONSOL Energy Center had a different look than usual. The team, which will fly today to New Jersey and take on the Devils Monday at the odd start time of 4 p.m., switched up their line combinations.

Pittsburgh's makeover looked like this:
Kunitz-Crosby-Comrie
Tangradi-Letestu-Malkin
Cooke-Talbot-Kennedy
Rupp-Adams-Dupuis/Godard

(The line changes are somewhat what I was hoping for...I've been wanting Comrie and Crosby together...Dupuis has no business on the first line. Things will be much better when Asham and Staal are back too of course)

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=540174
Old 10-10-2010, 11:33 PM   #4
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Martin Looks Forward to Homecoming

Also Hopes to Help Penguins Pick Up First Win

Sunday, 10.10.2010 / 2:00 PM / Features
By Jason Seidling
When the Penguins travel to Newark, N.J. on Monday afternoon for a 4 p.m. matinee tilt with the division rival New Jersey Devils at Prudential Center, it will be a homecoming game for defenseman Paul Martin.

Monday’s contest marks Martin’s first visit back to New Jersey since leaving the Garden State over the summer to sign a five-year contract with the Penguins. Martin is looking forward to returning to the place where he called home his first six National Hockey League seasons.

“It will be good to just get in there and just play a game,” Martin said. “There will definitely be some emotion and weird feelings after being there for so long. I really had a good experience there. They gave me my first real opportunity.”

Martin made the most of that opportunity, emerging from the shadows of Scott Niedermayer and Brian Rafalski to develop into one of the top two-way blueliners in the game. In 400 career games with the Devils, Martin produced 164 points (26G-138A) and a plus-55 rating.

“They really helped mold me into the player that I am now, but I am excited to be here in Pittsburgh now,” Martin said. “I am looking forward to getting our first win. This is just a part of the business.”

Penguins-Devils games are always high-energy affairs thanks to the two teams’ longstanding intra-divisional rivalry, but Monday’s game should have a little extra spice added to it with both squads looking to pick up their first win of the season.

Martin, who leads the Penguins with two assists through two games, expects that fact to bring out the best in both teams.

“It should make for a good game,” Martin said. “Last year, the Devils did well against the Penguins. We are trying to turn that around this season into our favor. Neither team having a win under their belts to this point is definitely going to make both teams play the game with a little more desperation. It should make for a good one.”

Pittsburgh will be looking to end a six-game losing streak to the Devils after New Jersey swept the season series for the first time last season.

RELATED ARTICLE: Pens Switch Line Combos >>

“It’s just one of those things I think,” said Martin of New Jersey’s success against the Penguins. “Last year when I was with the Devils, Philadelphia had our number. It’s just one of those things where, after a couple of games, it does get into your head and you get away from what makes you successful.”

Speaking of successful, Martin feels as if the Penguins have done very well at times through the first two games executing the way head coach Dan Bylsma wants them to, but he feels as if it has been the little details that have prevented the Penguins from getting the desired results.

“Through our first two games, we have done a really good job, we have just come up short,” Martin said. “There are a couple of things that we have to sharpen up on, but we have to play a simpler game and capitalize on some of those chances.”

New Jersey has also struggled a bit coming out of the gate, allowing a combined 11 goals while dropping a 4-3 overtime decision to Dallas and a 7-2 setback at Washington.

Against the Capitals, Devils goaltender Martin Brodeur was pulled after 40 minutes in favor of former Penguin Johan Hedberg after surrendering five goals on 20 shots. For the season, Brodeur is 0-1-1 with a 5.29 goals-against average and an .813 save percentage.

Martin expects a sharper Brodeur on Monday afternoon.

“He is a competitor,” Martin said. “That happens to him every once in a while because he plays a lot of games for them. They were playing a good team (in Washington). He usually bounces back pretty well. I’m sure he’ll be on his game and hopefully we’ll be on ours.”

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=540180
Old 10-10-2010, 11:34 PM   #5
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Penguins, Devils each seek first win of season
Sunday, 10.10.2010 / 2:00 PM
Mike G. Morreale - NHL.com Staff Writer
PENGUINS (0-2-0) at DEVILS (0-1-1)

TV: NHLN-CA, FS-P (HD), MSG PLUS (HD)

Season series --
The Devils handled the Penguins with relative ease last season, winning all six games while outscoring their Atlantic Division foe, 22-5. It marked the first time either team swept a season series against the other. Incredibly, the Devils haven't lost a series to the Pens in eight seasons. The Penguins last won a season series against New Jersey during the 2000-01 campaign, going 3-1-1.

Big story --
It'll be a pretty emotional afternoon for Penguins defenseman Paul Martin, who returns to face the team he played for the previous six seasons before signing a five-year contract with the Pens in July. Martin played in 400 career games for New Jersey, which drafted him in the second round in 2000. While he finished first among Devils' defenders with a plus-10 rating in 2009-10, he was limited to just 22 games due to a non-displaced fracture in his left forearm. Martin had 26 goals, 137 points and a plus-55 rating with the Devils. On Saturday, Martin had one assist, five shots and over 22 minutes of ice time in a loss to the Montreal Canadiens.

"I'd be lying if I said it won't be a little weird," Martin told NHL.com. "I've been there so long with the same guys there and that organization, so I'm sure there will be some emotions there. But it'll be different."

Team Scope:

Penguins --
The Penguins went 0-2 to open the season -- dropping back-to-back 3-2 decision to the Philadelphia Flyers on Thursday and Montreal Canadiens on Saturday. After winning all three preseason games at the new state-of-the-art Consol Energy Center, the Pens have now lost both regular-season games there. The Pens have opened the season 1-for-11 on the power-play and Sidney Crosby has one assist and a minus-2 rating and Evgeni Malkin one goal and a minus-1 rating in two games.

Devils -- The Devils have opened the 2010-11 season with losses to the Dallas Stars and Washington Capitals. The line of Zach Parise, Travis Zajac and Ilya Kovalchuk has combined for 2 goals, 6 points and a plus-1 rating in two games. In a 7-2 loss to Washington on Saturday, goalie Martin Brodeur yielded five goals on 19 shots and did not return for the third period. He's allowed nine goals in 102 minutes of work. Brodeur, who holds the NHL record for career victories, allowed five goals only four times last season.

Who's hot --
Zajac, the first-line center, is certainly reaping the benefits playing between Parise and Kovalchuk -- he's got a goal, 3 points and plus-2 rating in two games while average just over 21 minutes of ice time.

Injury report --
The Penguins are without forward Jordan Staal (foot) and Arron Asham (shoulder). … The Devils could be without defenseman Anton Volchenkov (broken nose) and forward Brian Rolston (lower body), who were both injured against the Capitals on Saturday. Winger Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond could be suspended for the Pittsburgh game for instigating a fight with Washington's Marcus Johansson in the final five minutes of Saturday's game.

Stat pack -- Parise finished with 3 goals and 6 assists in the series with Pittsburgh last season to lead all scorers with 9 points. … Pittsburgh's Sidney Crosby had a goal and 2 assists and Evgeni Malkin, contributed one point in just four appearances.

Puck drop -- Both the Devils and the Penguins are seeking their first victory of the season, so it should certainly be an emotional afternoon encounter at Prudential Center. The Devils entered the season with 11 forwards on the active roster and the pending loss of Rolston and Leblond for the game shortens the bench even more. It remains to be seen what General Manager Lou Lamoriello will do in attempt to bolster his roster while remaining within the limitations of the salary cap. Either way, coach John MacLean will be forced to double-shift a few players.

"We have the forwards that if we need to double-shift somebody, there's lots of guys that want that opportunity," MacLean said. "A lot of that is going to be by the feel of a game to see how it goes. Sometimes with penalties, power plays, you're going to have to see how that shakes out. You're not just going to say automatically, you're going to go three or automatically you're going to go four. I'll get the feel of the game as we go along."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/preview.htm?i...vid=sb:preview
Old 10-10-2010, 11:44 PM   #6
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

I'm still peeved about the 4pm start time. WTF. Who does that? If it were a normal start I'd at least get to listen to most of it in the car on the way home, but as it is now, I'd get to listen to maybe the first period on our way to a birthday party.

Who has their birthday on a gameday anyways? What's up with that? I'd change my birthday for a hockey or football game...that's for damn sure.

I bet they win too. It would figure.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:58 PM   #7
saveus1011
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14643

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post

Who has their birthday on a gameday anyways? What's up with that? I'd change my birthday for a hockey or football game...that's for damn sure.
Ironically, my birthday IS on gameday this year. :D

The other ironic thing? The Steelers played on my birthday last year as well.

Guess what's the only thing I want for my birthday this year? Has something to do with a win.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:38 AM   #8
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by saveus1011 View Post
Ironically, my birthday IS on gameday this year. :D

The other ironic thing? The Steelers played on my birthday last year as well.

Guess what's the only thing I want for my birthday this year? Has something to do with a win.
Well see, that's just full of awesome. I hope they get a win for your birthday as well!
Old 10-11-2010, 11:32 AM   #9
saveus1011
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14643

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post
Well see, that's just full of awesome. I hope they get a win for your birthday as well!
THANK YOU MUCH!!! It's all I asked for, really.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:43 AM   #10
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

I approve of this thread.
Closed Thread