Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 03:57 PM   #21
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,145 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful
Default Re: New Official Pens Tidbits Thread

Off-day post with thoughts on Michalek, Crosby; cap logic (not mine); and other treats.
October 12th, 2010

--

=I'm trying to track down information on D ZBYNEK MICHALEK, who appeared to injure his shoulder during the win. Josh has more on that later in this post. Already without C JORDAN STAAL(right foot) for at least the next several weeks, the Penguins must be hoping Michalek's injury isn't too serious. Surgery for a separation could sideline him months. Remember, D SERGEI GONCHARdidn't play until Feb. 14, 2009, when he was injured with a separated shoulder that required surgery in the preseason opener in 2008. No injury is the same, but losing Michalek for an extending period of time, with Staal already out, would severly limit the team's PK proficiency.

= Something to keep an eye with Staal out is C SIDNEY CROSBY's PK time. He's at 56 seconds per game right now, only 3 seconds more than last season. He shouldn't go much higher, at least if what I've always been told -- that PK minutes are the most exhausting in hockey, and toughest to recover from -- is true. Crosby is without a goal in three games and one with one point. He has missed eight shots already. His avg. TOI is up 46 seconds from last season. I don't know if any of these numbers are related, but I'm starting to wonder.

By the way, I'd be very surprised if Crosby doesn't show strong Wednesday night against Toronto. Same with RW EVGENI MALKIN and G MARC-ANDRE FLEURY. For Crosby and Malkin a day off will do them good. The Penguins hadn't had one since before the final weekend of camp. For Fleury, well, he was a lot better in those two losses then that bad goal in final minutes against Montreal suggested. He's fine, folks.

--

= OK, so just brilliant work by Mike Colligan of thehockeywriters.com in breaking down the CBA and how it applies to last week's baffling roster moves involving LW ERIC TANGRADI and G PATRICK KILLEEN. I'm equally envious of Colligan's insight and stunned by how few people involved in this sport, including yours truly, really understand the CBA. Clearly from reading this, Penguins AstGM JASON BOTTERILL is at the top of his profession in understanding the cap. Anyway, the article can be found here: http://thehockeywriters.com/eric-tan...what-happened/

Side note on the cap: Why isn't the NHLPA raging against the machine with what went on with The Devil dressing only nine forwards because New Jesrey is so close to the cap? I understand there was an emergency designation for that situation, but with two years before the CBA is to expire, I can't imagine how the NHLPA is pleased with what happened with The Devil. Sure, they weren't the first franchise to dress fewer than 20 players, but this situation seemed like one over which a players association should take issue.

--

= Word from some Philadelphia colleagues is that the Flyers will ask the Penguins to play at 5 p.m. on Saturday. Pens play the night before at home, so I'm not sure it is in their best interest to oblige. The Flyers want to avoid playing at the same time the Phillies are set to host the Giants in an NLCS game. All the Philadelphia stadiums are in the same complex, so traffic flow is a concern. Also, though, it's a nice gesture for the fans not to potentially avoid choosing between games.

That's all from me, now for some notes from Josh from Newark...

--

= Michalek clearly sustained a shoulder injury in the second period against the Devils and did not return. Members of the Devils TV broadcast team spotted Michalek with ice on his shoulder following the second intermission. He appeared in a great deal of pain when departing the ice. Penguins coach DAN BYLSMA said Michalek and BROOKS ORPIK, who missed the game with a groin injury, would be evaluated in Pittsburgh Wednesday.

= Don't believe the attendance figure of 12,880 released by New Jersey officials for Monday's game against the Penguins. The building might have been half full. Incidentally, there were thousands of empty seats about an hour to the east in Long Island, where the Islanders defeated the Rangers, 6-4, in another holiday matinee.

--

= D PAUL MARTIN is a serious, quiet guy, but he let out a smile when discussing his empty net goal late in the third period. C/RW CRAIG ADAMS, you see, was about as wide open as a player can be in front of the open cage. Adams, of course, didn't score a goal during the regular season and probably wouldn't have minded receiving a pass. Both players had a good laugh about the situation after the game.
Adams said he didn't really expect Martin to pass in that situation. Martin, of course, played the first seven seasons of his career in New Jersey and was booed throughout the contest. He attempted to produce a couple of excuses as to why he didn't pass, but then admitted, "It did feel pretty good."

--

= LW PASCAL DUPUIS wore what resembled a bullet proof vest while working out after the game. It presumably wasn't anything like that, but he did give an amusing reply. "We are in Jersey, you know," he said with a grin.
And this, friends, is why Rob Rossi avoids covering games in Newark, which is only a few miles from the cultural center of the universe, and yet so far away.
(Still working on a witty sign-off...until next time.)

http://blog.triblive.com/chipped-ice...-other-treats/
Old 10-13-2010, 11:04 AM   #22
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Penguins Recall Defenseman Hutchinson
Tuesday, 10.12.2010 / 5:23 PM / News
Pittsburgh Penguins
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=540364

The Pittsburgh Penguins have recalled defenseman Andrew Hutchinson from Wilkes-Barre/Scranton of the American Hockey League, it was announced today by executive vice president and general manager Ray Shero.

Hutchinson recorded a goal and an assist in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton’s season opening defeat of rival and two-time defending Calder Cup champion Hershey, 3-2, on Saturday, Oct. 9.

Hutchinson, 30, has played 135 career NHL games with Dallas, Tampa Bay, Carolina and Nashville. He has 38 career points (12G-26A).

Hutchinson (6-foot-2, 195 pounds) helped the Texas Stars earn a berth in the Calder Cup Final last season, chipping in five goals and 16 assists in 21 playoff games. He won the Calder Cup with Milwaukee in 2004.

The Evanston, Illinois native won the AHL’s Eddie Shore Award as defenseman of the year after posting 18 goals and 64 points with Hartford in 2007-08. Hutchinson’s 46 assists and 64 points were the most in the league by a blueliner, while his 18 goals ranked third.

Hutchinson, who was originally drafted by Nashville in the second round (54th overall) of the 1999 Entry Draft, played four seasons of collegiate hockey with Michigan State. He also represented the United States at the 2007 World Championships in Russia.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:05 AM   #23
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Jordan Staal Skates
Wednesday, 10.13.2010 / 9:21 AM / Features
By Sam Kasan
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=540412

Penguins center Jordan Staal skated on the CONSOL Energy Center ice Wednesday morning with strength coach Mike Kadar.

Staal has been out of the lineup and on the injured-non roster list after having a procedure to cure an infection in his foot.

Staal has been working out and hitting the ice was the next major step towards his recovery.

Staal originally suffered a lacerated tendon injury on his foot during Game 1 of the Eastern Conference semifinals when he was accidently stepped on by Montreal’s P.K. Subban during a battle for a loose puck. The next day, Staal underwent a procedure to repair the tendon, forcing him to miss Games 2 and 3, before he made a dramatic return in Game 4.

The infection did not develop until after a follow-up procedure in June.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:11 PM   #24
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Leafs vs. Pen tonight

I'll take a stab at beating the jinx in the new barn by starting some gameday talk

Sid and Malkin need to wake up and SHOOT the puck.

Comrie a healthy scratch? That's what I heard.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:09 PM   #25
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Comrie is a game time decision tonight, not sure why though.

Penguins Report: Game Day vs. Toronto

Wednesday, 10.13.2010 / 9:39 AM / Penguins Report
By Sam Kasan
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=540414

Defensemen Brooks Orpik and Zbynek Michalek are out of the lineup Wednesday night versus Toronto. Forward Mike Comrie will be a game-time desicion. Details at 11:18 AM entry

__________________________________________________ ________________________

12:53 PM:
We stopped by the Toronto Maple Leafs locker room after their morning skate at CONSOL Energy Center and had a chance to chat with former Penguins forward Colby Armstrong and Leafs head coach Ron Wilson. Here is what each had to say:

Colby Armstrong

On CONSOL Energy Center:
It doesn’t even feel like we are in Pittsburgh right now. They did a great job. It looks huge out there on the ice surface, which is a little different than Mellon (Arena). Coming into the visiting locker, this is almost nicer than the old Penguins locker room at Mellon. It’s really comfy to come in here as a road player.

On answering questions about the Penguins leaving when he played in Pittsburgh:
It was weird sitting in the room sometimes fielding questions about where we were going to be until one day when they said we were staying for good. It was really up in the air for a long time.

On being part of the nucleus of a Penguins team that everyone could tell was rapidly improving:

It was very similar to this Toronto team last year. We finished the end of the season very strong with a young group of guys who all got called up together and the next year we made the playoffs. We had a young group that came up together in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton. We just grew together as a team. It reminds me of our situation (in Toronto).

On missing out on the Penguins’ Stanley Cup victory:

I don’t know. It was a few years after I was traded, which was nice. I knew the hype that was building. The team was getting better year after year and the city was getting more and more excited. I knew it was going to be pretty special. It was a great group of young guys.

On choosing Toronto:
It was my first time heading into free agency, so I didn’t know what to expect. Toronto came calling right away and started it off. I was obviously super excited about it. I thought it was a great opportunity for me and a great place to play. It was pretty easy to make that decision.On building something special in Toronto:
We have a lot of great players in here. Phil Kessel is 23 (years old); Dion (Phaneuf) is 25. We have a lot of good, young talent. Our D-corps is very young and has big, strong guys. Hopefully we are building towards something in a positive way. I think everyone can see that.

On playing in Toronto versus Atlanta:
It’s completely different. It’s pretty exciting for sure. The fans are incredible in Toronto. The attention is crazy and the rink is packed every night. It’s a pretty great place to play. It’s something totally different than Atlanta.

Ron Wilson

On Jonas Gustavsson playing:
We planned two weeks ago how we would start – with Giggy (Jean-Sebastien Giguere) getting the first two games and ‘Monster’ starting here. You don’t want him sitting around too long to where he goes in rusty in the first five minutes of the game once he plays. He looked good in practice and is ready to play.

On Gustavsson being more consistent this year:
We won’t know until he plays. I am assuming he is going to play as well as he did in the last month last year. He played well during training camp and in the exhibition games, and he has looked good at practice.

On days off at the beginning of the season:

I think early in the season you like to be able to work on things. We are still trying to get down all the little details in our game. The way we played against Ottawa, you would like to continue playing the next night, but I don’t see this as being detrimental to what we are trying to do at the start.

On Colby Armstrong:
He wants to do anything to help the team win. He is positive in the room. He chirps a lot on the bench and he keeps things light at times when you need it. He has played hard in every situation we have put him in._______________________________________________ ___________________________

12:18 PM:

Coachspeak with Dan Bylsma...

On the defense playing well:
I certainly will be dealing with Brooks Orpik and Zbynek Michalek not being in tonight so that will change our dynamic. But we have some depth there. Last game, shorthanded, they played a strong game and they’ve played well in that aspect this year. You can look at the stat sheet and see that Sid and Geno haven’t been where you maybe expect them to be on a point-per-game basis, but look at the amount of posts and good chances that we’ve had. They both know and we know that if they keep working to get those opportunities and if they keep playing that way, they will find the back of the net.

On the penalty kill with Orpik and Michalek being out
:
Jordan Staal is out and he’s one of our best penalty-killing forwards, so we’ve had that issue with our forwards units, but Orpik and Michalek being out was certainly taken into consideration on how we decide our lineup for (Wednesday), the fact that our penalty kill needs to have some good solid players out there on the ice.

On Orpik’s and Michalek’s injuries:
We have a better diagnosis for Brooks, he’s got a groin strain. Michalek is being seen by a physician later this afternoon and we’ll know more about where he’s at tomorrow.

On if Michalek’s injury will be long term:
He’s not in there tonight and we’ll see what the doctor says when he’s evaluated.

On Jordan Staal being on the ice:
He’s on the ice right now getting comfortable. It’s not really a test for his foot. He’s just getting on the ice and getting into the skates in addition to his off-ice workouts. It’s nice for him to get out there and twirl around a bit. We’re not to a point yet where he’s decided he wants to get into gear and go out for a more serious workout. But it’s a sign that he’s progressing and he’s able to get out there and get some work in. He hasn’t been able to do that for a while. But I need to reiterate that there’s no rushing Jordan back. This is a sign that he’s ahead of schedule. He’s healing, he’s getting better, and he’s working hard off the ice.

On how important it is for Staal emotionally just to get back out on the ice:

If you’ve spent a little bit of time with him throughout this thing at all, there have been some ups and downs and setbacks. So it definitely gives him a lift in his mindset here to get back on the ice and feel like he’s on the road to recovery. There’s been a jump in his step now that he’s back on the ice.

On the defense:
It’s been a focus for our team going into this season, being better in the defensive end. We want to be a team that can win a tight game, and win a one-goal game, a 2-1 game or a 3-1 game. We’ve played well and we’ve had that focus. We clearly had that hiccup there against Montreal with goals 24 seconds apart late in the game, but we came back with a strong effort, not only from our defense but with our whole team. That will be something that we continue to talk about and focus on knowing that when we get in those situations being in tight games.

On Toronto:
They’ve played well and they’ve been aggressive. They have some dangerous components to their team. Also, special teams have been a factor them last year and is again for them this year. When you’ve had two goals from Tim Brent in you’re first two games, it’s going to help you get a good result. They’ve got a pretty good all-around team with some dangerous players and some pretty good guys back there on defense. J.S. Giguere, I think, is poised to have a good season and he had a great Game 1. So I think we should be ready for a team that’s going to compete pretty hard and come at us.

On Comrie being in the lineup:
It’s a game-time decision.

On having Paul Martin on the top power-play unit:
He’s been on the top unit and he’s had two goals there. As we said early on in training camp, we can expect to see all those guys – Kris Letang, Paul Martin and Alex Goligoski – on the top unit at any given time. Tonight, it’s going to be Paul Martin and Alex Goligoski. Paul will be the guy working the middle of the ice coming across the blue line, so it’s a different look, but that’s what he’s been doing on the second unit. He’s obviously gifted with the puck and poised.

On if points early in the season are important:
I think there’s an urgency on the team right now, based on last year, this summer and going into camp. I don’t think there’s a real focus to break down the season and say ‘we have to get points right now because they’re going to be tough to get later.’ But I think there’s an urgency that should be there right now, getting to our game and coming back home for our third home game. We haven’t got a win here yet, so I think there’s going to be some urgency to get back to winning games here and making this a tough place to play.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:14 PM   #26
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

...continued

12:15 PM:

It looks like the Leafs will be starting Jonas Gustavsson in net tonight.

12:07 PM:
The Maple Leafs are finishing their morning skate at CONSOL Energy Center. Here are some pics courtesy of T-Bone:

Former Pens Colby Armstrong (left) and Mike Zigomanis (right)

But we must stand back in awe and admire the unbelievable fu-manchu below. Mike Brown gets an A+

12:01 PM:
Defenseman Andrew Hutchinson was recalled to Pittsburgh Tuesday and will make his Penguins debut against the Leafs. Hutchinson had a big opening game for WBS, posting two points (1G-1A) in a 3-2 win over two-time defending Calder Cup champion Hersehy.

Here is what the offensively gifted blueliner had to say after the morning skate...

On getting recalled early in the season:
I just want to come back and fit in like I did during training camp. I had a good training camp and learned the systems. That’s all they wanted from me. I just have to get the puck out of our end, make one pass and add some offense.

On coming back up so soon:
I think I have been gone for a week and a half. I basically went for a vacation to eastern Pennsylvania, played a game and now I am back because of the injuries. I just want to come up, show myself at the NHL level and have fun.

On playing the left side:
I played the left side during training camp, so I am comfortable with it. It hasn’t been too bad.

On his one game with WBS:
It was very positive. I created a lot of chances. It’s a really good team down there. They play the exact same system down there so it should all be about getting comfortable with a new partner as soon as possible.

11:58 AM:
Sounds heard around the locker room....

Sidney Crosby

On gripping the stick tight:

I think (it’s too early). We’ve had some good chances and have been creating a lot. That’s hockey.

On the team’s defense:
We’ve got a lot of guys who can move the puck and create things. I am not surprised to see that.

On the chemistry between his line:
I think we are used to playing with different guys. We are all three comfortable playing with one another. We’ve gotten used to that. I think it has been OK.

On looking for the first win:
We want to make sure we win. We played a good game last game. Even the two losses we had here we did a lot of good things. We want to get a win (at CONSOL Energy Center). We know that Toronto is playing well.

Marc-Andre Fleury

On the new arena:
The fans have been great following us even in the old rink. It would be great to get a win for them tonight.

On the defense
:
We have great personnel. We have a great bunch of guys. Throughout the preseason and the regular season they have been playing very well.

On his mindset:
I am just trying to make some saves and keep the team in the game.

On the Maple Leafs:
They are a little bit different, but we are going to have our meetings on them (after practice), so we will see what kind of systems they use.

Deryk Engelland

On getting the first win:
That first win in always the hardest one. Hopefully we can keep it going from here.

On his mindset changing with the injuries on D:
I just have to take advantage of the opportunity. Hopefully my minutes go up a little bit. I still have to play my game – simple and physical – and go from there.

On getting extra minutes following the injuries on Monday:
Going to five D, you don’t have much time to think about it. The more time you play, the more comfortable you get.

On the organization’s depth on defense:
No matter who is in the lineup we have a good mix of guys up here and at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton. We both use the same system so I think anybody can step in and go from there.

Assist: Jason Seidling

11:45 AM:
Jordan Staal chatted with the media after the Penguins morning skate. Here is what he had to say...

On skating:
It was really nice. It feels good mentally and for the body to get out there, get on the skates and get moving again.

On his timetable:
I never really had a timetable. We never decided on a date. It’s very hard to tell right now. I’m just trying to get comfortable out there and get the feel back of skating.

On if he’ll keep skating:
I didn’t run into any problems. Hopefully, I can get on the ice everyday and getting back into the swing of things.

On the objective of the skates:

Getting in shape, I haven’t done a whole lot throughout the summer. My right leg is not as strong as my left. I’m trying to get my balance back and getting the right leg a lot stronger and quicker.

On being behind:
A lot of guys skated in the summer and a month before training camp. I can’t tell how I’m going to be out there. I’m feeling really good and happy to be out there. It was a long summer and I’m feeling good about where things are heading right now.

On if he’s skated prior to Wednesday:

I skated two days ago and again today.

On the disappointment of the setback:
Again, it’s been a long summer, a lot of ups and downs. I had a lot of good people around me, family and friends to help me through that. It was very difficult, but I made it through.

On watching games:

It’s never easy watching your team play. You want to be out there and a part of the team, and try to help get some wins. Hopefully, they can do it tonight.

11:18 AM:
A few quick notes from Dan Bylsma's post-morning skate media conference:
- Brooks Orpik and Zbynek Michalek will not play Wednesday night against the Leafs. Orpik has a groin strain and is day-to-day. Michalek will be evaluated by doctors later today.
- Mike Comrie, who didn't skate with a line at the morning skate, will be "a game-time decision."

11:15 AM:
The Pens had a special visitor to CONSOL Energy Centet for their Wednesday morning skate. Former Cup-winning 'guin Bill Guerin was in the new house to take in practice. Guerin was not here to rejoin the club. He only came to visit the new rink and say hi to some old friends.

10:55 AM:
Here are some photos from today's morning skate:

10:37 AM:

The Penguins had some new pairings at their Wednesday morning skate. Pascal Dupuis was elevated back to the top line with Sidney Crosby and Chris Kunitz. Mike Comrie did not take part in any line shifts. I'm not sure if that is a sign or not.

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis

Tangradi-Letestu-Malkin
Cooke-Talbot-Kennedy
Rupp-Adams-Godard
(Comrie)

The six defensemen rotated in sets of three.

10:29 AM:
Defensemen Brooks Orpik and Zbynek Michalek were not on the ice for Pittsburgh's Wednesday morning skate.

9:40 AM:
There was some big news early Wednesday as Jordan Staal skated at CONSOL Energy Center. Staal has been out of the lineup while recovering from a procedure to cure a foot infection. For more details click here.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:27 PM   #27
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Penguins vs Maple Leafs Game Preview
Tuesday, 10.12.2010 / 5:00 PM / Features
By Jason Seidling
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=540307&navid=DL|PIT|home

Pittsburgh Penguins
Overall:
1-2-0-2
Home: 0-2-0-0
Road: 1-0-0-2

WHEN: Oct 13, 2010 - 7:30 pm | WHERE: CONSOL Energy Center
WATCH: FSN | LISTEN: Pens HD Radio, 105.9 FM

Toronto Maple Leafs
Overall:
2-0-0-4
Home: 2-0-0-4
Road:
0-0-0-0

Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Toronto Maple Leafs

Led by general manager Brian Burke and head coach Ron Wilson – two of the best in the business – Toronto has quietly built one of the more impressive and balanced defensive corps in the league. Dion Phaneuf and Tomas Kaberle rank among the top two-way blueliners in the game, while Luke Schenn, Mike Komisarek and Francois Beauchemin provide a physical element.

Up front, the Leafs added complementary goal scorers Clarke MacArthur, Colby Armstrong and Kris Versteeg to join incumbents Phil Kessel, Nikolai Kulemin, Mikhail Grabovski and Tyler Bozak. The re-built offensive attack has struck eight times through the first two games, helping to spark the Maple Leafs’ impressive 2-0 start.

In goal, the Maple Leafs are led by veteran and former Conn Smythe Trophy winner Jean-Sebastien Giguere. The 33-year-old netminder has starred for the Leafs in each of their first two wins. For the season Gigure has a 2-0 record, 1.51 goals-against average and a .935 save percentage.

• The Penguins’ improved defensive unit has starred through the first three games. Thanks to his two-point (1G-1A) effort on Monday, Paul Martin enters Tuesday’s games tied for the NHL lead among defensemen with four points (1G-3A). Fellow blueliner Alex Goligoski is tied for goal-scoring lead among defensemen with two.
  • Outside of the Penguins’ divisional opponents, there is nobody Evgeni Malkin likes to see come to town more than the Maple Leafs. In 15 career games against the Leafs, Malkin has posted 34 points (7G-27A) for an average of 2.27 points per game. He had six assists in three games versus the Leafs last season.
  • Another reason the Maple Leafs have jumped out of the gate 2-0 has been the play between the pipes of Jean-Sebastien Giguere. Since his midseason trade to Toronto last season, Giguere has provided stability in goal, posting an 8-7-2 record, 2.38 goals-against average, .919 save percentage and two shutouts.
  • Toronto’s roster features three players with Pittsburgh ties. Colby Armstrong, signed during the offseason, needs no introduction. Superb faceoff man Michael Zigomanis, who won a Stanley Cup with the Penguins in ’09, leads Toronto with a 72.7-percent success rate on draws. Tim Brent, who appeared in one game with Pittsburgh in ’07-08, is tied for the team lead with two goals.
  • The Penguins’ power play is probably looking forward to facing the Maple Leafs. Over the course of the past two regular seasons, Pittsburgh has converted on 30.8 percent (8 for 26) of its PP chances against the Leafs.

Unleash the Stars: Pittsburgh is still looking for its first-ever win at CONSOL Energy Center. A breakout performance on Wednesday from Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin would go a long way towards picking up win No. 1. Through the first three games of the season, Malkin has one goal while Crosby has one helper, although both players have generated a ton of quality scoring chances.

D-Fence:
The Penguins’ re-built defensive corps was the talk of the summer, and through the first three games they have met their lofty expectations. In addition to holding opponents to 2.33 goals per game, Pittsburgh’s blueliners have posted 10 points (3G-7A). They figure to get a tough test from Toronto’s talented offensive attack.

C Jordan Staal, foot (indefinitely)
F Arron Asham, upper body (indefinitely)
D Zbynek Michalek, undisclosed (day-to-day)
D Brooks Orpik, undisclosed (day-to-day)

D Brett Lebda, shoulder (day-to-day)
D Jeff Finger, knee (day-to-day)

Phil Kessel

F - #81

2 Goals
1 Assist
3 Points • Talented goal scorer has produced back-to-back 30-goal campaigns.

• Has notched five goals and four assists in 15 career games against Pittsburgh.

• Ranked sixth in the NHL with 297 shots last season despite missing 12 games due to a shoulder injury. Dion Phaneuf

D - #3

0 Goals
1 Assist
1 Point • Named the 22nd captain in franchise history over the summer and the first since Mats Sundin in 2008.

• Has posted double-digit goal totals each of his first five seasons, including a career-high 20 as a rookie in ’05-06.

• Durable blueliner has missed just six games in five seasons despite playing a punishing brand of defense. Tomas Kaberle

D - #15
0 Goals
1 Assist
1 Point • Offensive-minded blueliner recorded his seventh 40-point season in ’09-10, ranking eighth in the NHL among defensemen with 49 points (7G-42A).

• Longest-tenured Leaf has played in Toronto since ’98-99, appearing in 822 career games.

• Ranks second all-time in Leafs history among defensemen with 483 career points (80G-403A).
Old 10-13-2010, 05:34 PM   #28
Fire Haley
Banned

Somebody wake Sid and Malkin up
Old 10-13-2010, 05:39 PM   #29
Fire Haley
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post
Comrie is a game time decision tonight, not sure why though. .
Maybe so they can put the fighting line out. Godard is a go, fine by me.

I demand entertainment
Old 10-13-2010, 06:41 PM   #30
Fire Haley
Banned

so I'm watching Penguins face-off on MSN Pittsburgh.

Billy Guerin was in the stands watching the practice skate?

looking for a job?
Closed Thread