Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 02:49 PM   #71
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,145 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful
Default Re: Pens Gameday Talk

This has been a really long couple of weeks for the Pens so far. A lot of games stuffed into a short time span, and a lot of injuries early on. They really need to dig down and get a win tonight and get some confidence going for the tough game at Philly tomorrow....if they fall flat, it's going to take even longer to get the season jumpstarted.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:51 PM   #72
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Default Re: New Official Pens Tidbits Thread

Goligoski Shines In Expanded role
Thursday, 10.14.2010 / 5:28 PM/ Features
By Jason Seidling
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=540571

The Takeaway:
  • Alex Goligoski had parlayed his strong preseason play into the regular season.
  • Goligoski is tied for the team lead with four points (2G-2A).
  • As a result of his improved all-around play, Goligoski is seeing more ice time in all situations.
  • Goligoski is excelling at the point on the top power-play unit.
While the Penguins might not be getting the desired results in the win column during the opening week of the 2010 National Hockey League regular season, there have been several bright spots head coach Dan Bylsma can build upon as he prepares his team for back-to-back divisional contests this weekend against the New York Islanders on Friday at CONSOL Energy Center and a Saturday visit across the commonwealth to battle the Philadelphia Flyers.

But perhaps the biggest positive that the Penguins should be most excited about to this point in the season is the rapid maturation and improvement in 25-year-old defenseman Alex Goligoski.

Goligoski has parlayed an outstanding training camp, where he tied Letestu and Evgeni Malkin for the team scoring lead with six points (2G-4A), into an opening week which has him playing at perhaps the highest level of his three-year NHL career.

As of Thursday’s games, Goligoski ranks tied with Paul Martin for the team scoring lead with four points (2G-2A), a figure which ties him for third among all blueliners in the NHL. Goligoski’s two goals place him tied for the top spot among defensemen with former Penguin Jordan Leopold.

“I feel good,” Goligoski said of his start. “Personally, I feel very good out there. It seems like I am moving my feet and skating. When I do that, the rest of my game seems to kind of come with that. So that’s something I like to concentrate on.”

Fellow defenseman Ben Lovejoy, who has played with Goligoski the past four seasons in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton and Pittsburgh, has taken note of the high level Goligoski is playing.

“He really has become an all-around player,” Lovejoy said. “He is a guy who logs a ton of minutes and excels at every part of the game. He is fun to play with and fun to watch. He’s been great for us here at the start of the season.”

A couple of early-season injuries to veteran shutdown defensemen Brooks Orpik and Zbynek Michalek has created more ice time both at even strength and on special teams. Goligoski has shouldered much of the load in their absences, ranking second on the team in average ice time at 23:53 minutes per game.

RELATED ARTICLE: Michalek, Asham Updates >>

It’s helped Goligoski’s game that he is seeing regular minutes serving as the quarterback of the Penguins’ top power-play unit, where he has already picked up a goal and an assist. More importantly than the offensive production, Goligoski looks more comfortable on the man-advantage than any previous point in his career.

Goligoski has looked so comfortable on the power play that Bylsma even changed his role a bit before the Toronto game, moving Goligoski from the center point position he had been occupying to the high-slot spot where Mike Comrie had been deployed.

Goligoski said he has no preference on where he is used. He is more concerned with the Penguins becoming more cohesive with the new constant motion power play setup implemented for this season.

“We have been tinkering around with things a little bit,” Goligoski said. “It will probably be that way for the start of the season. It’s all a part of everybody learning the new way that we are going to run the power play. Hopefully, as the season goes on we will continue to improve as a unit.”
Old 10-15-2010, 03:50 PM   #73
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post

Can't put it all on the defense not stepping up either. Outside of the Toronto game, Fleury has played with a completely healthy D...and a good defense at that. Better than last years at least. Yet his performance has pretty much been the same so far.
Well, I can probably go back and check the D stats, but there were plenty of turnovers in the 1st 3 games as well. They may be all individually more talented than last year, but we have moved some guys, changed the pairings, brought new guys in that are still learning the system, etc.

The bad pass by Letang to Martin that gave up the shortie comes to mind.

There's plenty of bad play going on out there for everyone to step up and play better.

It's still early. We have a long road to travel. Hopefully, things improve.

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
Old 10-15-2010, 05:26 PM   #74
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
Well, I can probably go back and check the D stats, but there were plenty of turnovers in the 1st 3 games as well. They may be all individually more talented than last year, but we have moved some guys, changed the pairings, brought new guys in that are still learning the system, etc.

The bad pass by Letang to Martin that gave up the shortie comes to mind.

There's plenty of bad play going on out there for everyone to step up and play better.

It's still early. We have a long road to travel. Hopefully, things improve.
I know the D hasn't been perfect, and they never will be...no D is. I'm with Byslma on this though (paraphrasing from what he said after the Toronto game), Fleury HAS to step up and make those big saves at some point. I mean, yeah, some of it is defensive breakdowns, but like I said, that's always going to happen, no matter how good of a team you have. When you have a goalie that is being paid like Fleury is though, you should be able to rely on him for the most part. You could tell by Bylsma's wording and demeanor that he just doesn't feel that way right now. And you could tell by Fleury's demeanor after the game that he doesn't have a lot of confidence in himself either.

I agree...the season is still young, and there's plenty of time to correct these things. They better happen soon though, or Fleury's going to find himself on the bench for the better part of the season. I can tell already that Bylsma isn't going to put his team in a position to lose if he doesn't step it up soon.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:03 PM   #75
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Let Johnson's mighty rod spank the Isles

yea verily
Old 10-15-2010, 07:52 PM   #76
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

6 straight minutes of PP and only 4 shots and no goals.

Piss me off.

At least Johnson has stopped the 3 shots he's seen.

Last edited by SteelCityMom; 10-15-2010 at 11:46 PM.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:32 PM   #77
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Letang gets a game misconduct for a legal hit...results in 3min PP for the Islanders and a goal.

Refs miss a blatant tripping penalty on the Islanders and results in a goal for the Islanders.

2-2 now.

REFS PISS ME OFF RIGHT NOW.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:47 PM   #78
Fire Haley
Banned

Bench GoGo and Sid and run out the 4th line more, no more blind passes

Malkin is pining for the Russian fjords
Old 10-15-2010, 09:48 PM   #79
Fire Haley
Banned

make up call

Pens win in OT

I give GoGo the open net, he deserved it
Old 10-15-2010, 09:49 PM   #80
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
Bench GoGo and Sid and run out the 4th line more, no more blind passes

Malkin is pining for the Russian fjords
Glad they didn't bench Gogo.

Johnson is full of ownage.

Hope the evil curse has been officially broken now.

And F you refs and F you ***** ass DiPetro.
Closed Thread