Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-19-2010, 11:53 AM   #31
fer522
ACERERO

Archery 2000 Champion! Archery Champion! Galaxians Champion! Apple Shooter Champion!
Member Number: 16190
Thanked 2,373 Times in 1,047 Posts
My Mood: Mellow
Default Re: Inability to Play Well on Defense Late in Games Concernin

Quote:
Yeah but it's those damn tack on points that threaten the spread that piss us off most.
ditto
fer522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:06 PM   #32
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792

Not too concerned at this point. This D has given up 60 points all year. The 2nd lowest D in the NFL is Minny at 88 points. That's a pretty wide margin from 1st to 2nd. Everyone else is in the 90's or over 100 points.
When you consider Tennessee scored 8 points with :58 seconds left, Tampa scored a late TD for 7 points with 1:54 left, and Cleveland scored 7 points with 4:09 left all against prevent defenses, I think our D is doing pretty well. That's 22 of the 60 points against our prevent D in games that were over. We even had starters pulled in Tampa. I remember Troy making a pick standing on the sidelines.
This just isn't an issue at this point. Now, one more instance like the Baltimore game where it costs us a win, then we can worry.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:03 PM   #33
rich4eagle
Starter

Member Number: 399
My Mood: Worried

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdandlong View Post
I'm sorry Steelers fans, I know we won today, but I just can't be happy when Colt McCoy throws for almost 300 yards. The last couple of Browns' drives McCoy marched them down the field like a veteran. This is starting to look like the defense that collapsed late in games last year. We're just not getting a good pass rush, too. If you ask me, this defense is a bit overrated because of their inability to play consistent through 4 quarters.
good assessment..........I put this squarely on Tomlin going back three years with his attitude of playing not to lose in crunch time. And he has lost more games than won druing that time. The Steelers have lost many games that were close going end game than they won which were close.

Personally, I feel that he has been an awful end game coach his whole career. he needs to fix this and the Steeler media and fans

need to make sure that they understand that playing prevent defense prevents you from winning and that is what he does
rich4eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:20 PM   #34
JEFF4i
Banned

Member Number: 10645

Falcons, Titans for the most part, and Bucs are all examples of how we played strong D.

Titans since, I honestly think, they just figured the clock was going to run out, not a viable chance at 2 touchdowns with 2-2 point conversions.
JEFF4i is offline   Reply With Quote