Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 11-03-2010, 12:55 PM   #31
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792
Default Re: Tomlin regrets not challenging correct call?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plenewken View Post
Am I the only one who saw the ball popping out of Mendenhall's hands when he hit the ground? The ball crossing the line is one thing, but maintaining possession is another and I don't think Mendenhall had full possession of the ball.
It would have been tough to overturn the decision on the field IMO.
Anyway, remember that we were lucky in Miami when the zebras gave us the ball back after Ben's fumble on the goal line.

Can't we just put points on the board that are not questionable?
The play is over the instant the tip of the ball crosses the tip of the line. Popping out when his hands hit the ground is meaningless. It would have been a TD at that point. Possession and control only matters on a reception. Ben's fumble in Miami clearly started coming out before he crossed the line.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:45 PM   #32
Whodis
Team Captain

Member Number: 6483

Quote:
Originally Posted by theplatypus View Post
You have no idea how it works, how the Patriots work or any other team. Any claim otherwise is complete bs and nothing more. The only thing you're interested in is crucifying Tomlin et al by any means possible.
i don't think it's as much crucifying as it is the fact week after week we watch games blown or nearly blown by dumb decisions. So we won't look back at the Tenn game with the prevent or the Baltimore. We had a game sunday night where we challenged an obvious catch by the Saints (in their defense we don't know what replay the staff saw), a failure to run a sneak up the middle goal and inches, failure to challenge a touchdown and lastly, acknowledge they were UNPREPAIRED for crowd noise.

If the coach makes changes I'll stop pointing these things out.
Whodis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:16 PM   #33
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,001 Times in 3,164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theplatypus View Post
You have no idea how it works, how the Patriots work or any other team. Any claim otherwise is complete bs and nothing more. The only thing you're interested in is crucifying Tomlin et al by any means possible.
We do not know but Tomlin does - in his chat Ed.B. gave this statement from Tomlin:

The coaches need to have the best replays!

Ed Bouchette: Yes, but they do not. MT said they have them when they go to places they are familiar with, probably because if they did not the Steelers could retaliate by cutting the video when they come to Heinz

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...ers-chat-11210

So the Steelers make the network video feed available to visitors at Heinz and access the video feed if they are repeat visitors to a stadium and are "familiar" with how to get get the network feed on the monitors

But if they are visiting a stadium for the first time they apparently do not have a clue how to get the network feed in the coaches booth and do not have the inclination to find out how to get it - that is an astonishing admission from Tomlin

If I am on the road and am not "familiar" with how to change the channel to get the Steelers game on the TV in my hotel room I damn sure call the front desk to get that problem resolved - too bad figuring out how to get the NBC feed in the coaches booth Sunday night was too much trouble for the coaching staff to figure out
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:53 PM   #34
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296

There isn't a home scoreboard that will show a replay on a controversial play that officials on the field rule went the home team's way. It happened once in Heinz Field, Bill Cowher blew his top, and it never happened again.

So, if there was no replay of Mendenhall's run on the scoreboard, then there was no replay in the coaches' box because that is the feed they were watching. They could not advise Tomlin about it, and the head coach did not have a good enough view of it, so he passed on a challenge that everyone at home and in the Superdome press box could see was in question.

Tomlin said "it's possible" his coaches did not have the network feed on in the box and thus did not get a replay of the Mendenhall run. Sources confirmed they had the scoreboard feed on their TV.

"When you are on the road in different environments and different setups and different sources of information, it takes a period of time to get adjusted to that," Tomlin said.

"Of course, our familiar places that we travel to such as division games you are more familiar with the setup and how to combat it. But it is just a natural process that everyone in the league goes through and issues that everyone has."

Don't blame the Saints for any chicanery. All the Steelers' coaches had to do was request a channel change at any time, according to NFL spokesman Greg Aiello.

"It should be the network feed," Aiello wrote in an e-mail to the Post-Gazette. "If coaches are not getting it, they should have it corrected immediately. The referee only uses the network feed."

A Saints spokesman told the Post-Gazette Tuesday that all private booths, including those of the visiting coaches, are provided with high-def TVs that can be tuned to any channel, including the network broadcast of the game. Some coaches, he said, switch channels to other games around the NFL. The preference is theirs, and, if they needed assistance, all they had to do was ask.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10307...#ixzz14HJyM66y

All they had to do was ask Dan.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:25 AM   #35
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,001 Times in 3,164 Posts

Ed. B. from the P-G revisists the issue this morning one more time

YOU: Ed, I am shocked when I read in your chat that the Steelers coaches were watching replays of the scoreboard views and not the game feeds. It seems that just begs for the visiting team to be screwed. It's 2010, not 1970. How is this possible and why would the coaches not have demanded something with a feed from the game?

ME: I’ll bet it’s never happened to Bill Belichick.
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:43 AM   #36
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Ed. B. from the P-G revisists the issue this morning one more time

YOU: Ed, I am shocked when I read in your chat that the Steelers coaches were watching replays of the scoreboard views and not the game feeds. It seems that just begs for the visiting team to be screwed. It's 2010, not 1970. How is this possible and why would the coaches not have demanded something with a feed from the game?

ME: Iíll bet itís never happened to Bill Belichick.
I'll bet you're right.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:31 AM   #37
cloppbeast
Team Captain

Member Number: 16124

It is absolutely ridiculous that coaches must become involved in the officiating of a game. This should not be the case. It's up to the officials to get the calls right, and in my opinion, all replays should go through them.

This whole added homefield field advantage of not showing replays for away coaches just ruins the integrity of the game. I'm all for advantages for the home team, but it should not include advantages in officiating.

I'm waiting for the day when a coach successfully challanges 3 times, and is thus prevented from challanging again, and ends up losing the game on a bad call. Maybe once this happens, the NFL will realize how stupid its replay system is.
cloppbeast is offline   Reply With Quote