Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 11-05-2010, 05:27 PM   #11
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,140 Times in 2,404 Posts
Default Re: is it REALLY coming to this??

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH-Rock View Post
Looking at some tackles from the Top 100 on NFL Network, I'd say that those players will be the last of their kind. From now on there'll be flag football.
Yep = the filmed hits in Top 100 are what they are (Night Train Lane and Ronnie Lott were particularly nasty) but the commentary by Jerry Glanville (Night Train)/ Dennis Miller (Joe Greene)/ and Marcus Allen (Lott) made a point as to how physical intimidation was part of the game

That would be edited out if those same commentaries were recorded today (which has happened - in the 75 Steelers America's Game episode the original version has Mike Wagner making a comment early on about parroting Chuck Noll's sayings after winning SB X and then jokingly saying "maybe I had a concussion or something" - the thought police had edited out Wagner's concussion reference when I last saw that America's Game installment on NFL Network)

I am not advocating cheap shots - Troy of course said it better than I ever could when he called out Goodell this week, as did Mel Blount in the 78 Steelers America's Game program when Mel says "football is a physical game - well, at least it used to be"
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:13 AM   #12
MikeHaullace
Starter

Member Number: 16733
Cool Re: is it REALLY coming to this??

I stand firm.

F Goodell.

I'm done with the NFL after this season.
MikeHaullace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:07 AM   #13
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

yeah, i was just over at Boston.com, the Boston Globe website reading the story of the 2 Patriot's hits and fines, and going through the tons of comments, almost EVERYONE is p****ed off and complaining about Goodell.
That's actually good news for all of us.

The more players from different teams that keep getting fined or suspended over perfectly legal, physical hits, the better at this point. That is the only thing that is going to raise public outcry to high, pressure levels on the league.
I just don't see this nonsense cutting it with the nationwide fanbase and/or even team ownership.
It's bad (really bad) for the game.

the only argument i'm seeing on the other side is about "cheap shots", blah, blah, blah, blah....
I don't have a problem with someone getting fined for a cheap shot either. a CHEAP shot. Not normal, regular, physical tackling and hits.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:14 AM   #14
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,140 Times in 2,404 Posts

It also probably is coming to this

[A]t the University of North Carolina, researchers and athletic trainers are using innovative tools to identify and alert players who deliver too many blows with the top of their heads. Accelerometers inside players’ helmets capture the force and location of every impact to their heads. The university began using the program six years ago to alert sideline personnel to particularly hard hits in real time. It has also used it the past few seasons to pinpoint players whose brains are absorbing more impacts than normal — suggesting that they are using their heads in the worst of ways.

Several colleges and high schools have players in helmets equipped with accelerometers, known as the Head Impact Telemetry (HIT) system. But North Carolina may be alone in using it to identify dangerous techniques — which most everyone in football agrees are rampant at every level — and to teach safer play. ...

the video that almost all serious programs employ should allow coaches to pinpoint unsafe players as carefully as those who blow assignments. “When you have proof, whether it’s the accelerometers or the video, it really empowers you to get the message across,” he said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/06/sp...elmets.html?hp

Big Brother on Park Avenue presumably will soon be using this data as well as a metric for the size of the fine to impose
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote