Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 11-11-2010, 11:22 AM   #1
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 2292
Default Ray Anderson responds to Troy

I just read this article today and couldn't stop laughing. I would like to see what everyone has to say about this rebuttal.

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...medium=twitter

NFL: 'Conflict of interest' prevents players from participating in discipline process

Pittsburgh Steelers S Troy Polamalu has now been rebuffed by two high-ranking NFL officials.

NFL VP of football operations Ray Anderson joined Roger Goodell on Wednesday in dismissing Polamalu's repeated suggestion that current players and coaches get input into the process of disciplining players for on-field infractions.

"The notion of current players and coaches being involved presents a conflict of interest that the competition committee has not been favorable to," Anderson said on the NFL Network. "We think we have a fair, objective process with former players like Merton Hanks (now the NFL's director of football operations) and folks who have been around football involved in looking at these plays and making determinations, so we're comfortable with the process, which by the way is done in conjunction with the players' association participation."

Polamalu has spoken up at least three times in the past two weeks and said that Goodell has too much power over the players. Because of the severity of the punishments being doled out, he argued current players need more input into the process.

"I think that current players and front-office people and some former players should be part of the process," Polamalu told Dan Patrick's show. "You can have former players, maybe one offensive and defensive player from each team. ... Maybe coaches involved."

Goodell rebuffed him on Monday.

Five players have been fined at least $50,000 since the NFL announced enhanced discipline for players who violate the league's policy against illegal hits in October.

-- Sean Leahy
markymarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:31 AM   #2
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,667 Times in 2,620 Posts
Default Re: Ray Anderson responds to Troy

Ray Anderson has carefully thought it over and concluded the policy for which he apparently is primarily responsible is just fine thank you

How about going to someone outside the league office Ray Ray?

When the assistant DA indicts you your case then is heard by an outside court, not by the District Attorney who supervises the assistant DA.

If anyone believes the first time Goodell was involved in this process was when Goodell heard an appeal from a fine Anderson handed down, I assume you also believe in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny

What a crock
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:05 PM   #3
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

Anderson is just as big of an ass as Goodell.. they both need to go.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:19 PM   #4
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792

I'm not saying I'm in favor of the fines and possible suspensions that are being handed down for these now "flagrant" hits. But, I have to agree that having current players involved in the decision making is certainly a conflict of interest. What would you do, have the NFLPA rep (Charlie Batch for us) put in a vote on each offense. I have to say I would hate allowing other teams players a chance to vote on whether or not James Harrison gets suspended for his next big hit.
The vote may get swung depending on where we are in the standings.

I'm all for safety, but it seems to me the same exact hit can be deemed legal or illegal based simply on 1 determining factor. Whether or not the player who received the hit got injured. That makes this whole thing a joke.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:39 PM   #5
scsteeler
Team Captain

Member Number: 8491

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpro11 View Post
Anderson is just as big of an ass as Goodell.. they both need to go.
scsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:46 PM   #6
Stu Pidasso
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Every time I see that guy on screen my bullshit meter PEGS. He gets ZERO credibility and respect from me.
Stu Pidasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:36 PM   #7
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,037 Times in 545 Posts

I agree the commish should have full power of fining players. However, I want the current commish to be vanquished from the NFL. He is a disgrace and a joke.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 05:16 PM   #8
BengalDestroyer
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 16598

Did anyone see Ray Anderson on the NFL Network? Every time a specific question was asked his answer was exactly the same as the previous, not as specific question. Also I could not stop laughing due to the fact he sounds exactly like SNL's The Ladies Man!!!!!! HAHAHA What a Dbag, just like Goodell, no good answers just the same old dictating BS...
BengalDestroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 05:47 PM   #9
SteelKnight
Team President

Member Number: 16119

I'm in favor of safety and the fines. The only thing I have a disagreement with is I think if there was no flag on the field, there should be no fine. If the refs didn't see it, they should just give out warnings. They need to train the refs to see the things they are concerned about.

It is extremely corny to fine a player for a play where there was no flag.

I think it is fine not to have any current players. I agree with the league. They should make an attempt to have more recently retired players though.

Some of these idiots have not learned no helmet to helmet means just that. They will learn though. By next year, they will not be using their helmets as part of a missile.

I wish Troy would back off. It is bad for business. That's why they fine coaches for complaining about officials. The NFL is a business. He should handle these things out of the media.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:52 PM   #10
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 2292

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerchad View Post
But, I have to agree that having current players involved in the decision making is certainly a conflict of interest.
I couldn't disagree more. You have to understand that right now current NFL players don't have a voice in these fines and possible suspensions that may happen down the road.

Do you know which former player is currently helping make decisions on the NFL committee? Believe it or not it's Merton Hanks...former 49ers safety. Now do you have 100% percent belief Merton Hanks is making the right decisions for all of the current NFL players? Also, don't you think any former player or coach on this NFL committee isn't a "yes" man for Roger Goodell?

And speaking of conflict of interest. Are you telling me that Roger Goodell and Ray Anderson having complete control of fines/suspensions being handed out and even making the final decision when a player appeals it is not a conflict of interest.

Ray Anderson and Roger Goodell can deny it all they want, but Troy stated it perfectly with his resolution. That is the only way you can resolve this dictatorship Roger is currently running.
markymarc is offline   Reply With Quote