Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 11-17-2010, 09:04 PM   #11
MattsMe
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2044
Default Re: It's Official: Goodell hates the Steelers

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeegiesWarriors View Post
Actually it does. They called it incomplete through replay review which means Ward was a defenseless receiver at the time of the hit. Had they called it a fumble then that would mean that he would have made the catch, turned up field, and became a ball carrier and helmet to helmet is no longer a penalty or fine-able offense.

The NFL dropped it here. They ruled on the field that it was incomplete. A 15 yard penalty should have been thrown number 1. Number 2 a fine should be given to the defender. He hit helmet to helmet what was determined to be a defenseless receiver. He clearly led with the helmet
Pretty hard to argue when it's put like that. Well said.
MattsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:19 PM   #12
fer522
ACERERO

Archery 2000 Champion! Archery Champion! Galaxians Champion! Apple Shooter Champion!
Member Number: 16190
Thanked 2,151 Times in 960 Posts
My Mood: Cool

that hit pissed me of but what really pissed me off was the fact that he could not go back in the game when you could clearly see that he was ready to go in but because of another stupid nfl rule he was not allowed back in the game
i fu****g hate Goodell
fer522 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:21 PM   #13
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4spd View Post
Sorry, but there is no way Chung should be punished in any way, shape, or form for that hit whether the result was a concussion or not. Just because some of the other punishments he has imposed on players around the league, James Harrison included, may have seemed a little over the top doesn't automatically mean that Chung deserves a fine here.

You're right. Chung shouldn't be fined. But neither should Harrison have been fined.
So in other words, let me get this straight :
You can punish/fine one player for a helmet to helmet (accident, on-purpose, momentum, whatever the reason), but you're not going to fine another one? You're going to "pick-and-choose" who you fine and who you don't??
Thats some absolute BS and the main reason i hate this new "rule". They're not being fair and consistent with the punishments.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 07:09 AM   #14
Need4spd
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1707

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
You're right. Chung shouldn't be fined. But neither should Harrison have been fined.
So in other words, let me get this straight :
You can punish/fine one player for a helmet to helmet (accident, on-purpose, momentum, whatever the reason), but you're not going to fine another one? You're going to "pick-and-choose" who you fine and who you don't??
Thats some absolute BS and the main reason i hate this new "rule". They're not being fair and consistent with the punishments.
That was basically my point. I guess two wrongs don't make a right, that's all I'm saying. Whether or not Goodell is being consistent with the punishments he is handing out is certainly a fair argument. It is such a fine line it's not even funny, and many of these hits are very subjective. This is exactly why I agree with what Polamalu suggested a few weeks ago. There should definitely be an independent panel of "judges" if you will, who rule of these kinds of issues.
"The nature of a man who has a competitive spirit will be to inevitably live a life which involves that man overcoming obstacles. But the sport of football is too physically and emotionally difficult to play simply for money or success. Personally, I have been inspired by God."

- Troy Polamalu, Media Day at Super Bowl XL
Need4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 07:54 AM   #15
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 3447

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeegiesWarriors View Post
Actually it does. They called it incomplete through replay review which means Ward was a defenseless receiver at the time of the hit. Had they called it a fumble then that would mean that he would have made the catch, turned up field, and became a ball carrier and helmet to helmet is no longer a penalty or fine-able offense.

The NFL dropped it here. They ruled on the field that it was incomplete. A 15 yard penalty should have been thrown number 1. Number 2 a fine should be given to the defender. He hit helmet to helmet what was determined to be a defenseless receiver. He clearly led with the helmet

I'm far from a conspiracy theorist, but even I'm wondering what the deal is with Goodell and the Steelers. Something isn't right here.
Ward wasn't defenseless when he let the ball slip off his hands. He didn't maintain possession when going down and I don't think the helmet to helmet contact had anything to do with it.
This being said, there are lot of inconsistencies in the way fines are levied. Like you said, something's not right here.
plenewken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:54 AM   #16
DoubleYoi
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15474

The sad reality of the situation is that we're reduced to arguing what is or isn't a fine-able offense which has taken away from the game considerably. Goodell and his cronies are levying these penalties, fines and suspensions basically as a CYA to prevent the NFL from getting sued into bankruptcy in the future, IMO. No way he can say he's doing it to protect the players but then propose an 18-game season in the next breath.

As for saying Goodell hates the Steelers.....that kind of talk is strictly reserved for Ravens fans. They have a copyright on "the refs, Goodell and the NFL hates us" talk.
DoubleYoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:35 AM   #17
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

you have to wonder how much these new rules are affecting the Steelers on D. Although Harrison is seemingly playing very well, you can see he's about 1/2 step behind where he should be.....like he's ever-so-slightly hesitant (i don't blame him one bit either....)
This past Monday night game where the Eagles scored 59 is EXACTLY the football Goodell wants.
Wow...thats a fabulous idea. Even though no one gives two flying F's about baseball anymore, lets try to model our league after crappy baseball.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:25 PM   #18
DoubleYoi
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15474

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
you have to wonder how much these new rules are affecting the Steelers on D. Although Harrison is seemingly playing very well, you can see he's about 1/2 step behind where he should be.....like he's ever-so-slightly hesitant (i don't blame him one bit either....)
This past Monday night game where the Eagles scored 59 is EXACTLY the football Goodell wants.
Wow...thats a fabulous idea. Even though no one gives two flying F's about baseball anymore, lets try to model our league after crappy baseball.
Not one bit. At the start of the season, the Steelers had an average to below-average secondary. Their Run-D was the bread and butter and now that it took a huge hit with A. Smith and Kiesel going down, teams are exploiting the secondary even more. We're not losing games because of missed tackles caused by hesitant defenders. Had there been multiple cases of guys breaking huge runs after initial contact, you may have a point. That just hasn't been the case though.
DoubleYoi is offline   Reply With Quote