Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 04-01-2006, 04:05 PM   #1
DIESELMAN
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1031
Default Bruschi tries to look ahead as friends move on

FOXBORO -- Tedy Bruschi can be honest and diplomatic at the same time. It's one of his gifts. Ask him about the Patriots' offseason so far -- with the loss of friends Willie McGinest, Adam Vinatieri and David Givens -- and the veteran linebacker will give you both sides in one statement.

"It's been discouraging at times, to tell you the truth," Bruschi said yesterday after a morning workout at Gillette Stadium. "To see Willie go, especially, and to see Adam go, too. I've been with Willie and Adam for a long time. I spoke with both and wished them well. But the bottom line is this: Move on. We're going to miss them, but they're not going to help us win any football games so I can't focus on who's not here."

Expect that to be the theme all offseason as Pats players are asked to put the departures in perspective. Any disappointment will be lessened in the knowledge that the Pats always do business their way.

"Bill (Belichick) has said it since he got here: He's going to do what's best for the team," said Bruschi. "And what's best for the team sometimes hurts your feelings because you see guys leave. Sometimes what you think is best for the team is keeping all your buddies around. That's what you want. They have to look at it without emotion -- and I think they do a good job of that."

Defensive end Ty Warren and guard Stephen Neal also met with the media, with Warren saying that McGinest dropped hints about leaving soon after the playoff loss in Denver and Neal acknowledging that the Pats' offer (four years, $10 million, $3.5 million bonus) was competitive with the others he received on the open market. It's all about the business of free agency, something Bruschi still fights.

"I see and I know the business aspect, but I still don't want to look at that because I don't think this is a real job, to tell you the truth," he said. "All we're doing is playing football. There are a lot of financial implications, but come on, I haven't had a real job since I stacked Budweiser back in college. My neighbor teaches Kindergarten. That's a real job. This is just having fun if you ask me."

Bruschi is among a group of Patriots players (including Tom Brady, Mike Vrabel, Jarvis Green and Matt Light) who decided to re- sign with the team well before hitting the open market, thereby leaving some money on the table. Bruschi said he has absolutely no regrets, especially given the mild stroke he suffered last February.

"My free agent year would have been last year. My wife and I always get together and look back at decisions and we realize that was a good one. Because, come on, being a free agent after a stroke? I don't know how much I would have got," he said. "So I think it worked out best of us."

As for Bruschi's health now, he said he feels great and that he's back doing everything he's done previously at this time of year. Bruschi said he "took inventory" of his health after the Denver loss and determined, along with his family, that he wanted to play "a lot more football."

He'll just have to do it without some of his former teammates

March 31, 2006
Boston Herald

BOW DOWN TO THE BLACK AND GOLD!!!!!
DIESELMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 04:21 PM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,469 Times in 3,939 Posts
Default Re: Bruschi tries to look ahead as friends move on

in the perfect world the steelers would forgo their ring ceremony and and donate them all to t. bruschi. this would only be a drop in the bucket of what he is actually worth.

infact, i think all players should have induced strokes to become better players and people. from what i hear, next year the players union will propose that the teams and nfl foot the medical bill for this procedure for ALL players in the future.

in other news: gene upshaw has already announced retirement as soon as t. bruschi decides to hang it up. common though is that wont be for another 12 years. until then he will keep the seat warm for bruschi.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 09:01 PM   #3
3 to be 4
Team Owner

Member Number: 992

not sure your point, Tony? the article is not saying how great Bruschi is, just talking about how he and Brown are the last holdovers from the '96 SB team and how he'll miss Vinatieri and McGinest. And how it was a good thing for him he didnt wait for free agency.

Coming from a fan base that just witnessed the ridiculous over the top media fawning over Saint Bettis I wouldnt be making too much of any credit Bruschi gets. IMHO.
3 to be 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 09:27 PM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,469 Times in 3,939 Posts

over the top? has bruschi ever played a sb game in his hometown? does anyone even know where his hometown is?

anyways, my bad, i am a little trigger happy, and any time i see a bruschi article i assume it is a "bruschi is great" article.

i admit buckethead is good when hes not suffering or recovering from an injury....

sorry...this response is probably better reserved for the blast furnace
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 09:29 AM   #5
3 to be 4
Team Owner

Member Number: 992

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
over the top? has bruschi ever played a sb game in his hometown? does anyone even know where his hometown is?

anyways, my bad, i am a little trigger happy, and any time i see a bruschi article i assume it is a "bruschi is great" article.

i admit buckethead is good when hes not suffering or recovering from an injury....

sorry...this response is probably better reserved for the blast furnace
i guess we didnt know Bruschi's hometown because the Super Bowls werent all about him.
3 to be 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 10:16 AM   #6
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 to be 4
i guess we didnt know Bruschi's hometown because the Super Bowls werent all about him.
Superbowls...plural you say?

Wow this guy has been a major factor in how many of the last 5 SB's?

How come we haven't heard so much more about him..sounds kinda underrated to me.
NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.

Last edited by Livinginthe past; 04-02-2006 at 10:27 AM.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 06:28 PM   #7
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

Well, it's true, all they can do is move on. It's a cycle in the NFL. NE has had theres.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote