Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 04-01-2006, 07:29 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,159 Times in 3,479 Posts
Default s. mcnair- 23 mil. against the cap this year

unbelievable. bye bye steve. no player is worth that and i cant undersand how a contract like that can even be written let alone signed.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 07:37 PM   #2
Koopa
Living Legend

Member Number: 508
Default Re: s. mcnair- 23 mil. against the cap this year

he ain't leaving, he already restructured his deal from a 3 year deal to a one year deal
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 07:52 PM   #3
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa
he ain't leaving, he already restructured his deal from a 3 year deal to a one year deal
so you think the titans are willing to take that cap hit with volek sitting right behind him, with leinart, young, or cutler as potential draftpicks? thats 23.5 million american dollars.
Old 04-01-2006, 07:56 PM   #4
Koopa
Living Legend

Member Number: 508

well why would they have bothered restructuring his deal if they just gonna cut him??

EDIT: oops, haven't been following the nfl offseason much cause it's spurs time for me, and i just went on prosportsdaily.com and read what you are talking about.

if they draft matt they'll be safe with cutting him, but if they take the ticket saler they'll need him for at least one year to mentor vince

Last edited by Koopa; 04-01-2006 at 07:59 PM.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 08:03 PM   #5
tony hipchest

although you checked it out heres another tidbit: http://titansradio.com/cgi-bin/blurb...urb=news659715
Based on the email volume and tenor of the last two weeks, many Titans fans are in an uproar concerning Steve McNair's future.

Obviously, when you are considering a player drafted in 1995, the issue of ''future'' does reflect concerns about times sooner rather than later.

However, to this observer, the frenzy seems largely ''fire in the theater'' hype. So, let's try to separate fact from fiction.

FACT: McNair's contract contains an OPTION bonus of $50 million that would EXTEND his contract three more years.

FICTION: McNair is not under contract for 2006.

If the Titans exercise the option and pay McNair $50 million, his contract would run 2006, 2007, 2008, and 2009.

The Titans are not going to pay the option, meaning his contract ends after the 2006 season. The issue is not keeping McNair under contract for the upcoming campaign.

FACT: McNair's salary cap value will increase because the Titans will not pay the $50 million bonus.

FICTION: McNair's salary stands at $15 million in 2006 and he's not worth it.

Remember, salary cap value does not equal salary. Salary cap value includes a player's base salary, bonus money earned, and the proration of signing bonuses.

McNair's salary for 2006 stands at about $9 million.

The pro-ration of bonuses, from his original six-year deal signed in 2001, as well as the three-year extension signed in 2004, stands somewhere between $3 and $4 million. The numbers are not exact because we do not know all of the bonuses McNair has achieved from his on-field performance.

That would produce a current salary cap NUMBER for Steve McNair (what McNair counts against the cap) between $12 and $13 million. Let's use $12.5 million as a good estimate.

If the Titans paid the $50 million bonus, his salary cap number would increase to somewhere between $26 and $27 million.

As already stated by General Manager Floyd Reese, that will not happen.

So, the final three years of McNair's 2004 contract extension (2007, 2008, 2009) will be voided. That means the signing bonus with that contract, which was originally pro-rated over six years (04,05,06,07,08,09) now must be ACCOUNTED for in 2006. That's roughly $3 million.

The Titans also reworked McNair's deal in 2005 in an effort to get below the salary cap, using a common practice of converting salary to signing bonus. That signing bonus was pro-rated across five seasons. With the final three years voided, a $5.3 million cap hit comes into play.

Thus, when the Titans officially do not pay the $50 million bonus, McNair will count roughly $20.8 million against the cap in 2006 ($9 million contract, $3.5 million in original pro-ration, $3 million in acceleration of 2004 bonus, $5.3 million in 2005 bonus acceleration).

Keep in mind, if you cut McNair today, you would still be responsible for an almost $11 million cap hit (all the acceleration -- you would only be minus the salary).

The Tennessean reports the $1 million penalty/fee due McNair for voiding the final three years is not due until September, according to McNair's agent Bus Cook. That means the $1 million would not count against the cap until then.

That brings us to the most important fact/fiction part of this story.

FACT: The Titans have time to deal with this issue.

FICTION: The Titans have to make their decision March 3 as to McNair's future.

Unlike so many salary cap issues, this one has very little to do with the start of the NFL fiscal year March 3.

''This is not going to happen in the next day or two or week or two,'' Reese said last week. ''It's going to take time. We'll continue to talk on a daily, weekly basis and see if we can't make progress.''

Reese's position is not a smoke-screen. The Titans have time to work on this issue. Reese told Titans Radio last week the team has slotted the $20-$21 million salary cap number in its plans for 2006.

Even though we believe the team sits over the 2006 salary cap today, Reese said the team can begin the fiscal year with McNair's number in place. There are other moves the team can make to get below the salary cap.

And Reese's ''long-drawn out process'' comment which has been read by many as a sign of contention, unpleasantness seems to have much more to do with the fact the Titans do not have to move tomorrow on this.

FACT: The Titans can approach the draft with the mindset of getting the best player possible.

FICTION: The Titans need to know what they are going to do with McNair to know what their #3 draft move needs to be.

I believe the Titans hold the cards. Reese, Jeff Fisher, and the Titans Front Office can go into the draft with the knowledge that they certainly can play with McNair in 2006 -- even at his current salary cap number. They have a starting quarterback for 2006 in place.

If the quarterback the Titans really like is available at number three, take him. If the Titans believe any of the three top candidates can be a franchise quarterback, take him.

If the Titans do not like any of the three (none of us knows how the Titans feel), wait for a trade offer or take a player at another position of need or take one of the quarterbacks and trade him. Options, the key to good draft day performance.

If you come out of the draft with the quarterback you want, you have the ability to define the immediate future (2006) and the short-term future (2007) the way you want to. If you want to have McNair as your starter in 2006 with the idea that your young quarterback would be ready in 2007, keep McNair at his current cap value.

Not only does it give you time to groom your young quarterback, it would leave you with no dead money in 2007 if you decide to part ways with McNair at the end of the 2006 season.

You could also work on a new two-year deal with McNair that reduces his $9 million salary in 2006.

If you do not get a quarterback at number three but maybe you get a prospect in round two or three, Reese and Fisher can approach the issue with a more short-term approach. Restructure McNair's contract with an extension into 2007 and 2008 that would not put you in cap distress if your prospect can go in 2008.

This all leads to the final fact/fiction.

FACT: This is business.

FICTION: Bus Cook and Steve McNair are not being loyal to the franchise that gave McNair a chance.

Bus Cook represents Steve McNair. He wants to get McNair the best deal he can, that allows McNair the chance to set his own terms for when, how, from where he retires. That's the agent's job.

So when Cook talks about ''once they don't exercise that option, their cap number is out the roof,'' and ''there's no way he's going to take a paycut,'' Cook is being honest and upfront about his position. He is ALSO posturing for his client.

No doubt, Cook knows the Titans are driving this relationship. McNair's under contract for 2006. The Titans can live with his cap number if they have to. They are considering drafting the next franchise quarterback.

No one should disrespect Cook for trying to do what's best for a great quarterback and a great part of this franchise's history.

''I'm confident that we'll get things worked out with Steve,'' Fisher said. ''I've said that all along. We've got some paperwork to do and we've got some time to do it. I've said this and I'll continue to say this - he can still play at a high level in this league and I expect it to be with us.''
Old 04-02-2006, 04:02 AM   #6
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
although you checked it out heres another tidbit: http://titansradio.com/cgi-bin/blurb...urb=news659715
Based on the email volume and tenor of the last two weeks, many Titans fans are in an uproar concerning Steve McNair's future.

Obviously, when you are considering a player drafted in 1995, the issue of ''future'' does reflect concerns about times sooner rather than later.

However, to this observer, the frenzy seems largely ''fire in the theater'' hype. So, let's try to separate fact from fiction.

FACT: McNair's contract contains an OPTION bonus of $50 million that would EXTEND his contract three more years.

FICTION: McNair is not under contract for 2006.

If the Titans exercise the option and pay McNair $50 million, his contract would run 2006, 2007, 2008, and 2009.

The Titans are not going to pay the option, meaning his contract ends after the 2006 season. The issue is not keeping McNair under contract for the upcoming campaign.

FACT: McNair's salary cap value will increase because the Titans will not pay the $50 million bonus.

FICTION: McNair's salary stands at $15 million in 2006 and he's not worth it.

Remember, salary cap value does not equal salary. Salary cap value includes a player's base salary, bonus money earned, and the proration of signing bonuses.

McNair's salary for 2006 stands at about $9 million.

The pro-ration of bonuses, from his original six-year deal signed in 2001, as well as the three-year extension signed in 2004, stands somewhere between $3 and $4 million. The numbers are not exact because we do not know all of the bonuses McNair has achieved from his on-field performance.

That would produce a current salary cap NUMBER for Steve McNair (what McNair counts against the cap) between $12 and $13 million. Let's use $12.5 million as a good estimate.

If the Titans paid the $50 million bonus, his salary cap number would increase to somewhere between $26 and $27 million.

As already stated by General Manager Floyd Reese, that will not happen.

So, the final three years of McNair's 2004 contract extension (2007, 2008, 2009) will be voided. That means the signing bonus with that contract, which was originally pro-rated over six years (04,05,06,07,08,09) now must be ACCOUNTED for in 2006. That's roughly $3 million.

The Titans also reworked McNair's deal in 2005 in an effort to get below the salary cap, using a common practice of converting salary to signing bonus. That signing bonus was pro-rated across five seasons. With the final three years voided, a $5.3 million cap hit comes into play.

Thus, when the Titans officially do not pay the $50 million bonus, McNair will count roughly $20.8 million against the cap in 2006 ($9 million contract, $3.5 million in original pro-ration, $3 million in acceleration of 2004 bonus, $5.3 million in 2005 bonus acceleration).

Keep in mind, if you cut McNair today, you would still be responsible for an almost $11 million cap hit (all the acceleration -- you would only be minus the salary).

The Tennessean reports the $1 million penalty/fee due McNair for voiding the final three years is not due until September, according to McNair's agent Bus Cook. That means the $1 million would not count against the cap until then.

That brings us to the most important fact/fiction part of this story.

FACT: The Titans have time to deal with this issue.

FICTION: The Titans have to make their decision March 3 as to McNair's future.

Unlike so many salary cap issues, this one has very little to do with the start of the NFL fiscal year March 3.

''This is not going to happen in the next day or two or week or two,'' Reese said last week. ''It's going to take time. We'll continue to talk on a daily, weekly basis and see if we can't make progress.''

Reese's position is not a smoke-screen. The Titans have time to work on this issue. Reese told Titans Radio last week the team has slotted the $20-$21 million salary cap number in its plans for 2006.

Even though we believe the team sits over the 2006 salary cap today, Reese said the team can begin the fiscal year with McNair's number in place. There are other moves the team can make to get below the salary cap.

And Reese's ''long-drawn out process'' comment which has been read by many as a sign of contention, unpleasantness seems to have much more to do with the fact the Titans do not have to move tomorrow on this.

FACT: The Titans can approach the draft with the mindset of getting the best player possible.

FICTION: The Titans need to know what they are going to do with McNair to know what their #3 draft move needs to be.

I believe the Titans hold the cards. Reese, Jeff Fisher, and the Titans Front Office can go into the draft with the knowledge that they certainly can play with McNair in 2006 -- even at his current salary cap number. They have a starting quarterback for 2006 in place.

If the quarterback the Titans really like is available at number three, take him. If the Titans believe any of the three top candidates can be a franchise quarterback, take him.

If the Titans do not like any of the three (none of us knows how the Titans feel), wait for a trade offer or take a player at another position of need or take one of the quarterbacks and trade him. Options, the key to good draft day performance.

If you come out of the draft with the quarterback you want, you have the ability to define the immediate future (2006) and the short-term future (2007) the way you want to. If you want to have McNair as your starter in 2006 with the idea that your young quarterback would be ready in 2007, keep McNair at his current cap value.

Not only does it give you time to groom your young quarterback, it would leave you with no dead money in 2007 if you decide to part ways with McNair at the end of the 2006 season.

You could also work on a new two-year deal with McNair that reduces his $9 million salary in 2006.

If you do not get a quarterback at number three but maybe you get a prospect in round two or three, Reese and Fisher can approach the issue with a more short-term approach. Restructure McNair's contract with an extension into 2007 and 2008 that would not put you in cap distress if your prospect can go in 2008.

This all leads to the final fact/fiction.

FACT: This is business.

FICTION: Bus Cook and Steve McNair are not being loyal to the franchise that gave McNair a chance.

Bus Cook represents Steve McNair. He wants to get McNair the best deal he can, that allows McNair the chance to set his own terms for when, how, from where he retires. That's the agent's job.

So when Cook talks about ''once they don't exercise that option, their cap number is out the roof,'' and ''there's no way he's going to take a paycut,'' Cook is being honest and upfront about his position. He is ALSO posturing for his client.

No doubt, Cook knows the Titans are driving this relationship. McNair's under contract for 2006. The Titans can live with his cap number if they have to. They are considering drafting the next franchise quarterback.

No one should disrespect Cook for trying to do what's best for a great quarterback and a great part of this franchise's history.

''I'm confident that we'll get things worked out with Steve,'' Fisher said. ''I've said that all along. We've got some paperwork to do and we've got some time to do it. I've said this and I'll continue to say this - he can still play at a high level in this league and I expect it to be with us.''

Somewhere in all that did it mention that McNair hasn't signed his restructered deal??
Ambridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 06:27 PM   #7
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

Fact: The Titans Stink!

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 11:45 PM   #8
Petesburgh66
Team Captain

Member Number: 1988

Quote:
Titans to McNair: 1 year

NASHVILLE - The Titans decided they will pay a $1-million fee to keep quarterback Steve McNair this season but allow him to become a free agent after 2006.

The move means Tennessee won't have to pay a $50-million option that would have extended McNair's contract through 2009, the quarterback's agent said. Still, agent Bus Cook estimated McNair will take up more than a quarter of the team's salary cap space.

The future of the NFL's 2003 co-MVP had been in doubt with the Titans facing pressure to get under the salary cap.

"What this amounts to is they decided to pay $1-million and not add three years to his contract, so this is his last year. At the end of this year, Steve will be a free agent," Cook said.

General manager Floyd Reese said the team will keep trying to negotiate a deal with McNair that gives it more room under the salary cap.

The Titans also declined options on backup quarterback Billy Volek and linebacker Peter Sirmon. Volek is signed through 2007. Sirmon's deal runs through this season.
http://www.sptimes.com/2006/03/03/Bu...B_King_s.shtml

This is the only reason why the Titans went out on the free agency market in 2006.
Petesburgh66 is offline   Reply With Quote