Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 04-01-2006, 04:06 PM   #11
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,469 Times in 3,939 Posts
Default Re: You know its happened before...overconfidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosca
IMO the leaders on the Steelers are set for years to come: Polamalu and Roethlisberger.

Tom
both will be incredibly expensive in the next few years. personally i dont want polamalu to carry any burdon of being a team leader. he needs to just go out there and quietly do what he does and that is good enough. as far as safety play goes, he is already leading the NFL and the steelers by example.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 04:30 PM   #12
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

Quote:
Last year was not easy by any means,we struggled throughout the season and had to pull a run just to make the playoffs.Then the unbeliveable run through the playoffs and winning XL,that was one of the greatest feats in the history of the NFL.Because nothing was handed to us last year and the players had to overcome a lot of adversity I believe they will remember how close they came to having just another so so season.
Thats the perspective we need the players to have.. remember how tough training camp was, how everybody had us listed 3rd in the division finishing just above the clowns. How hard it was when Ben got hurt, Duce stayed hurt, Hines contact issues, Willie's ups n downs.. the Defensive players ups n downs, the whole 9 yards. We keep that perspective, and play tough, there's no reason we cant be successfull again this year.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 05:41 PM   #13
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,469 Times in 3,939 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity
Thats the perspective we need the players to have.. remember how tough training camp was, how everybody had us listed 3rd in the division finishing just above the clowns. How hard it was when Ben got hurt, Duce stayed hurt, Hines contact issues, Willie's ups n downs.. the Defensive players ups n downs, the whole 9 yards. We keep that perspective, and play tough, there's no reason we cant be successfull again this year.
year in and year out the steelers have been the top dogs who are either favorites or gunned after. the fact that the steelers have reached the champ game nearly 50% of the time during the cowher era speaks volumes. the steelers players cant be blamed for being a little ****y or arrogant, even the rookies. despite the teams shortcomings, cowher has been able to keep that in perspective, and for the most part his teams have produced. i think cowher will be the first to admit that his best coaching has yet to be seen and if there is any other coach who is more of a leader on the field i ask anyone to name him.

i will say the steelers have 4 potential head coaches lining up next year:

cowher
grimm
whiz
lebeau
(darren perry will be a damn good coordinator before we know it)

leadership is set ESPECIALLY when you count all the leaders on the field
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 05:55 PM   #14
Midnightwriter1
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2182

Lebeau isnt going anywhere... He is staying with the Steelers until he retires from coaching. The man is around 70 already. i definately think Grmm and Whiz will be gone.
Midnightwriter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 11:03 AM   #15
BlacknGold Bleeder
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1254

IMO
Leadership is provided by coaching staff then it is up to players to lead by example on the field. Troy exemplifies this, so did Jerome. The old adage left over from the Noll era "Whatever it takes" is what the Steelers are all about. Cowher is just trying to keep his players as level headed as possible. We will be fine. Next target XLI !!!
Old 04-03-2006, 10:21 AM   #16
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

I thinks its more for vmotivation, although trying to repeat should be enough motivation
Old 04-03-2006, 10:58 AM   #17
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Leadership wise, I'm more concerned with Jerome gone than Kimo, Hope or Randle El. Actually, I never considered Hope or Randle El "leaders" to begin with. We still have Ward for leadership and Ben is filling in the leadership role nicely. Leadership is an area I'm not concerned about when dealing with this team. I think with having Ben, Ward, Porter, both Smith's, Faneca and Bill Cowher at the helm, they will stay grounded.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 04-03-2006 at 11:17 AM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote