Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 11-24-2010, 08:19 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default The 'conspiracy' against the Steelers

The 'conspiracy' against the Steelers
http://communityvoices.sites.post-ga...t-the-steelers
Wednesday, November 24, 2010 12:15 AM
Written by Bob Smizik

Are the National Football League and commissioner Roger Goodell out to get the Steelers?

There are a lot of fans who believe as much. Letís talk about it.

A lot of this talk began with Goodell's decision to suspend Roethlisberger at the start of the season. This was highly unusual since Roethlisberger had not only not been convicted of a crime, he had not be charged with a crime.

So when he went down for four games, Goodell became Public Enemy No. 1 to Steelers fans. Commissioners are easy to hate (Bud Selig, Gary Bettman) and Goodell only added to his tarnish with his perceived ill-treatment of Roethlisberger.

What we donít know is the full story on Roethlisberger. We know a lot of it. Weíve read the transcripts and all the stories. But we donít know what Goodellís investigators found and we donít know what Roethlisberger told Goodell.

It is important to note that no one -- not Roethlisberger, not his agent, not his lawyers, not the Steelers -- made any significant attempt to appeal his suspension. That says a lot. It says to me that Roethlisberger got what he deserved.

The NFL is not in the habit of casually suspending big-time stars who play for flagship franchises owned by one of the most revered families in sports.

Next came the crack down on James Harrison. Goodell and his associates were tough on the Steelers fearsome linebacker. But if the NFL were really out to get the Steelers, it would have suspended Harrison. It did not.

So what we have is a quarterback who was a bad boy and a linebacker who plays the game at, perhaps, too high a level of intensity.

That hardly sets the Steelers apart from many other teams in the league that have players with character issues.

I do not have access to all the players who have been fined by the NFL in regard to the leagueís crackdown on safety issues. What ever the number of Steelers who have been fined -- and they are not the only team that has players who have been fined -- these monetary penalties in no way have affected the Steelers ability to win on the field.

The outcry that came from Sundayís game was legitimate. The refs stunk. But they did not cost the Steelers the game. They did not come close to costing the Steelers the game.

The refs could have cost the Steelers in the game against the Miami Dolphins, but did not.

Does that sound like a league out ``to get'' the Steelers?

Furthermore, the logistics of trying ``to getíí a team are so impossible that half the world would know about it if it were true.

The whole thing is ridiculous and itís hard to imagine anyone with any common sense thinking the NFL, a billion-dollar industry, would take a chance on destroying its credibility by trying ``to getíí one franchise.

As to the other ``conspiracy theory,íí that Goodell is trying to turn the NFL into a flag football league and in the process destroy the Steelers' identity: Why would he do that?

What would he endanger the most popular sport in the country?

Yes, he is attempting to make changes in the way the game is played in terms of player safety. Some people think this will turn the league into a sissy sport.

I can only speak for myself, but Iíve seen little to support that theory. It's true, the refs were totally out of kilter Sunday and made some outlandish calls against the Steelers. I donít think weíll see many more calls like that.

The league has done a poor job in communicating with the players, officials and fans the new rules. But in time there will be more consistency and the game will remain ferocious and brutal.

The NFL is not going to become flag football and the Steelers, at 7-3, are not being targeted by Goodell.

End of story.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:02 AM   #2
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792
Default Re: The 'conspiracy' against the Steelers

I don't think there out to get us. But these changes affect physical teams more than others and the Steelers are consistently the most physical team in the league. I think the Steelers made a statement against Oakland that they won't change their tough, physical play based on the risk of a few flags or fines.
I think what we all want is some consistency and that I think has been lacking.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:00 AM   #3
Third Rail
Team Captain

Member Number: 16177

Hmmm. Okay, here's the abridged version of this article.

Written by Bob Smizik

Steelers fans are paranoid idiots who think that the NFL is out to get them.

Roger Goodell's team of expert detectives (Columbo, Batman and Sherlock Holmes) uncovered details that other private investigators and police could not: Ben Roethlisberger is guilty of rape, murder, extortion, grand theft auto, credit card fraud, embezzlement and excessive parking tickets and absolutely deserved his suspension.

James Harrison attempts to kill people when he hits them and therefore he deserves every fine he gets.

Other teams have also been fined and I don't hear them whining. I didn't attempt to do any research to see if any teams have been fined more than the Steelers this season, but even if there haven't been any, these claims are still absurd because I say so.

The officiating didn't cost the Steelers the game last Sunday, so people should stop complaining. Even though poor officiating might have cost Pittsbugh the game against a better team, tough shit. After all, WE ALL KNOW THE OFFICIALS HANDED PITTSBURGH THE GAME IN MIAMI SO THEY DESERVED TO GET SCREWED.

Roger Goodell is never wrong and should never be questioned. He is only trying to make the league a safer place. Plus, he's really good in bed. Ask my wife.
Third Rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:28 AM   #4
SoCalFan
Head Coach

Member Number: 14860
My Mood: Blah

What a Bull $hit article,an excuse and reason for everything???Its funny how non Steeler fans views are distorted!
Old 11-24-2010, 11:04 AM   #5
Steel_Bus_24
Team Owner

Member Number: 2886
Thanked 1,251 Times in 610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Rail View Post
Hmmm. Okay, here's the abridged version of this article.

Written by Bob Smizik

Steelers fans are paranoid idiots who think that the NFL is out to get them.

Roger Goodell's team of expert detectives (Columbo, Batman and Sherlock Holmes) uncovered details that other private investigators and police could not: Ben Roethlisberger is guilty of rape, murder, extortion, grand theft auto, credit card fraud, embezzlement and excessive parking tickets and absolutely deserved his suspension.

James Harrison attempts to kill people when he hits them and therefore he deserves every fine he gets.

Other teams have also been fined and I don't hear them whining. I didn't attempt to do any research to see if any teams have been fined more than the Steelers this season, but even if there haven't been any, these claims are still absurd because I say so.

The officiating didn't cost the Steelers the game last Sunday, so people should stop complaining. Even though poor officiating might have cost Pittsbugh the game against a better team, tough shit. After all, WE ALL KNOW THE OFFICIALS HANDED PITTSBURGH THE GAME IN MIAMI SO THEY DESERVED TO GET SCREWED.

Roger Goodell is never wrong and should never be questioned. He is only trying to make the league a safer place. Plus, he's really good in bed. Ask my wife.
lol,,,that was perfect

F*** Goodell and F**** this loser who apparently licks his FatHead of Goodell every night before bed

Also Known as SteelerSpartan
Steel_Bus_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:08 AM   #6
Third Rail
Team Captain

Member Number: 16177

Thanks. And I agree, Goodell needs to go. I hate that man and what he's doing to the NFL disgusts me. He's such a hypocrite. "We want to ensure player safety! Yet we're going to extend the season to make more money and allow more chances for players to be injured!"
Third Rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:13 PM   #7
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

Smizzickizk, or whatever his name is, can BE low me. This guys off.
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:43 PM   #8
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Rail View Post
Thanks. And I agree, Goodell needs to go. I hate that man and what he's doing to the NFL disgusts me. He's such a hypocrite. "We want to ensure player safety! Yet we're going to extend the season to make more money and allow more chances for players to be injured!"
Lets just call the kettle black.....Goodell is a off

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:19 PM   #9
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

this Smizik is a complete douche-bag.
First of all, the reason Goodell suspended Ben is because it was the 2nd incident (even though neither proved and Ben could just be a target for attention/money grubbing bar ho's.....) and they chose to suspend him because of "misconduct" and putting himself in situations and places where he could become a target and be accused of things.
Second, Harrison's fines have been extremely stiff and above and beyond what others are getting (don't give me that "numerous offense" BS, these were clean plays......Why didn't other players get fined the same amount for the same offense? A good example is the Merriweather hit. Now THAT hit was a purpose head shot, no question, yet he was fined 25K LESS..
and third, do i even have to mention the officiating Sunday? Ryan Clark penalized for a phantom helmet-to-helmet hit that never was.
Yes, other players are getting fined.(well.......not all........2 different times Hines Ward gets helmet-to-helmeted and where are those fines?) But the fines and penalties are not coming as fast, as consistent, or as harsh as they're coming at Pittsburgh. Even countless journalists in other cities have been reporting on this throughout the week.
This guy sounds like he has something personal against Ben. I usually like the articles written by most area journalists but consistently, this guy sucks. Is he a Browns fan in disguise or something?
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:24 PM   #10
Whodis
Team Captain

Member Number: 6483

Some of these local reporters are like White House reporters giving us political updates. Telling us all is fair and well. The argument isn't about Ben, the Miami game or if the calls cost us a game Sunday. It's been the clearity of the rule change and the fairness it's been levied out.

As I said in another post "What if it were Manning, Brees or Brady that had gotten punched?"

Answer this fairly and you will have my objection.