Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 11:54 AM   #191
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts
Default Re: Pens Gameday Talk

Red-hot Pens head to Florida
Monday, 11.22.2010 / 10:23 AM
Sergei J. Feldman - NHL.com Staff Writer
http://www.nhl.com/ice/preview.htm?i...vid=sb:preview

PENGUINS (11-8-2) at PANTHERS (9-9-0)

TV: FS-P (HD), FS-F (HD)

Last 10: Pittsburgh 6-3-1, Florida 6-4-0.

Season series: This is the first of four meetings between the Pens and Cats. Last year, the Penguins took three of four from the Panthers, with two of those wins in overtime and one via the shootout.

Big Story: Both teams enter the game playing some of their better hockey of the season while gaining ground on other Eastern Conference foes. The Penguins will look to continue their dominance against the Panthers, while Florida will attempt to make last season's sweep look like an aberration.

Team Scope:

Penguins: Coming off a 5-4 shootout win over the Carolina Hurricanes, the Penguins have been rolling of late, going 5-1-1 in their past seven games. The biggest difference for the Pens has been the play between the pipes. Marc-Andre Fleury, after a rough start to the season, has seemingly returned to familiar form, going 4-0-1 in his past five starts. Florida will mark the first of a two-game road trip for the Penguins, who will take on Buffalo Wednesday night.

Panthers: Like the Penguins, the Panthers have been playing some of their best hockey of late. Winning four of their last six games, the Panthers will begin a three-game home stand after being on the road the previous four contests. Leading the way for the Cats is Matt Santorelli who is coming off a two-goal effort against the New York Islanders Saturday night.

"I'm just trying to improve," he said of his performance and recent strong play. "Playing with great players certainly helps."

Who’s hot: Chris Kunitz has seemingly found his place under the sun on a line with Sidney Crosby and Pascal Dupuis. Against Carolina Friday night, Kunitz collected two goals and finished nearly every check to become a physical presence on the Penguins’ top line. He’s been a plus player in five consecutive games.

For the Panthers, save for one hiccup effort against the Boston Bruins, goalie Tomas Vokoun has allowed just one goal in four of his past five games.

Injury Report: Rostislav Olesz is doubtful for the Panthers with a broken finger, while Stephen Weiss is questionable with an ankle injury. For Pittsburgh, the Penguins still await Jordan Staal to return, which won’t be the case for another four weeks. He did, however, take to the ice for the first time Friday morning.

Stat pack: Fleury enters the game with a 2.95 GAA for the year, marking the first time he’s played under 3.00 since the season opener.

Puck drop: Crosby will continue his chase to eclipse Tampa Bay’s Steven Stamkos for the most points in the League. Entering the game, Crosby trails Stamkos by one point (34 to 33).

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
Old 11-23-2010, 06:07 PM   #192
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Default Re: New Official Pens Tidbits Thread

Crosby tops vote getters in early All-Star returns
TUESDAY, 11.23.2010 / 2:15 PM / 2011 NHL ALL-STAR GAME - PRESENTED BY DISCOVER
By Dan Rosen - NHL.com Senior Writer
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=544313

Sidney Crosby is on pace for his best season ever and the fans are noticing.

Crosby leads all vote getters in the NHL All-Star Fan Balloting Presented by XM with 118,755 votes. Chicago defenseman Duncan Keith is second with 82,968. Nicklas Lidstrom (80,723), Alex Ovechkin (80,169) and Jonathan Toews (79,953) round out the top vote getters with more than 3.62 million votes already cast.

Montreal's Carey Price leads in the goalie category with 71,199 write-in votes. Flyers rookie Sergei Bobrovsky is second behind Price among netminders with 58,101 write-in votes.

Voting continues through Jan. 3. The 2011 NHL All-Star Game presented by Discover will take place Jan. 30 in Raleigh, N.C., and the three forwards, two defensemen and one goalie with the most votes in their respective categories will be named the first All-Stars. The NHL Hockey Operations Department will select the remaining 36 players for the game.

Fans have taken the liberty to go off the ballot and cast their own vote. Price and Bobrovsky are proof of that.

Approximately 33 percent of the 150 vote-getters have come from write-ins, including 26 percent of the forwards, 24 percent of the defensemen and 28 percent of the goaltenders.

Philadelphia right wing Claude Giroux leads the write-in campaign for forwards with 54,215 votes. That's 11th in the forwards category. Pittsburgh's Kris Letang leads defensemen in write-in votes with 50,123, which is good for eighth among blue-liners. Other than Price and Bobrovsky, Detroit goalie Jimmy Howard has also received support with 31,537 write-in votes.

While Crosby, Ovechkin, Toews, Keith, Lidstrom and Price would as of today be the six players automatically selected to play in the All-Star Game, the races are tight.

Steven Stamkos is pushing the forwards with 78,833 votes, which is only 1,120 behind Toews. Chris Pronger trails Lidstrom by just 2,720 votes. Price, though, is currently leading by a landslide with 13,098 more votes than Bobrovsky. Tim Thomas is third with 47,646 and Jaroslav Halak has 47,483.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
Old 11-23-2010, 06:11 PM   #193
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Penguins 3, Panthers 2
Monday, 11.22.2010 / 11:52 PM Associated Press
http://www.nhl.com/ice/recap.htm?id=...navid=sb:recap

SUNRISE, Fla. (AP) -Sidney Crosby had another big night for the Pittsburgh Penguins, but it was little-known Chris Conner who netted the late-game winner.

Conner scored his first goal of the season with 7:04 remaining to lift the Penguins to a 3-2 victory over the Florida Panthers on Monday night.

Conner, playing in his sixth game after being recalled from the minors, one-timed Mark Letestu's pass past Tomas Vokoun on the blocker side for the only goal of the third period.

"I was trying to get it off quick," Conner said. "It was in tight, so I figured I'd just surprise him, and it was good."

Kris Letang and Crosby had power-play goals for the Penguins, who came in with the NHL's 25th-ranked power play.

Crosby, who also had an assist, extended his career-best point streak to nine games. He has at least two points in eight of 11 games. With 35 points, Crosby is tied for the NHL scoring lead with Tampa Bay's Steven Stamkos.

Crosby and Stamkos tied with a league-best 51 goals last season.

Cory Stillman and Bryan McCabe scored for the Panthers (9-10), who missed a chance to get over the .500 mark for the first time this season. Vokoun finished with 23 saves.

Marc-Andre Fleury made 27 saves for Pittsburgh, which improved to 5-0-1 in its last six games.

"I was totally relaxed, and the guys played good for me," Fleury said.

The Panthers went 0 for 5 on the power play, making them 0 for 25 over the last six games.

"The power play cost us the game again," McCabe said. "They get two, we get zero, had a bunch of opportunities. It's got to win us a game at some point. Right now, it's costing us games."

The Panthers were playing at home for the first time since ending a four-game road trip.

Pittsburgh (12-8-2) dominated play early, taking a 2-0 lead in the first and outshooting Florida 13-6 at one point.

"That was nice," Crosby said. "It was one of those things where you start well, draw a few penalties, and make them pay. We had a few chances after that, but great start."

Stillman sliced the lead in half with 35 seconds left in the period. After Fleury gave up a high rebound off Jason Garrison's shot, Stillman moved his stick forward, and the puck bounced in off his glove. The goal was upheld after a video review.

"That was a big goal at the end of the period, and we started to play our game in the second and third," Panthers coach Pete DeBoer said. "We were worried about a little post-trip hangover first game back, and we saw it in the first period. It would have been better if we could have weathered the storm a little bit. It's a big hole against a team like that."

After McCabe tied it in the second period, both teams had shots bounce off the post.

Matt Cooke almost converted a wrister while Pittsburgh was short-handed in the second, and Florida's Chris Higgins was just off in the third.

"Our second wasn't great," Crosby said. "They probably played better. The third was probably 50-50. ... A big goal from Conner, and (Fleury) made some big saves. It wasn't going to be pretty, but we found a way."

NOTES: Florida played without F Steve Reinprecht (groin) and F Rostislav Olesz (broken finger). ... The Panthers remained the only team in the league without an overtime game this season. ... The game was part of the Penguins' annual "Dad's Trip," which also includes Wednesday's game at Buffalo.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:11 AM   #194
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Pens will be in Buffalo tonight @ 7pm. We'll see a familiar face in Jordan Leopold tonight. Fleury should be in goal again and despite some key injuries (Niedermayer, Stafford, Connolly, Miller) and a rough start to the season, the Sabres are playing pretty good hockey right now. Should be a fun game!

Quote:
11:03 AM:
According to the Sabres official website, Ryan Miller and Tim Connolly will not play tonight. Lalime is still on the ice for Buffalo, an indication that 22-year-old Jhonas Enroth may start against the Pens tonight.
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.ht...id=DL|PIT|home

Old 11-24-2010, 10:14 AM   #195
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Default Re: New Official Pens Tidbits Thread

Penguins' Bylsma stayed calm under fire
By Rob Rossi, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, November 24, 2010
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...rce=rss&feed=8

SUNRISE, Fla. — It would be easy to credit coach Dan Bylsma with the Penguins' recent turnaround: He has steered the team to a 5-0-1 run since a home loss two weeks ago described by this media outlet as "rock bottom."

Not only is it easy, but it is also well-deserved. He is as responsible for this change in fortune — the Penguins had lost five of seven in regulation — as goalie Marc-Andre Fleury (.920 save percentage), centers Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin (eight goals, 22 points combined) and the penalty-kill units (24 for 25).

Look not at any adjustments Bylsma made strategically, but rather at the one he resisted making after the Penguins blew a two-goal lead in the third period of a home loss to Boston, a loss that featured five unanswered goals by the Bruins over the last 20 minutes.

Calm, cool and, surprisingly, with an occasional grin, Bylsma fielded questions from a ready-to-pounce media that night at Consol Energy Center. His critics weren't given any ammunition in the form of harsh words for them or Penguins players, and Bylsma carefully avoided any statements from which negativity could be extracted.

Privately, he was fuming over the Penguins' continued penchant for poor team defense, an inept power play and selfish, careless turnovers by players.

He never fumed publicly, though, and there is no indication he raised his voice behind closed doors.

Bylsma stayed true to his vow never to go negative. By persistently sticking to that vow during the rough start to this month, he showed growth as a coach, gained a greater measure of respect from players, and reaffirmed the belief that general manager Ray Shero has in him.

That stay-true-to-yourself quality is one Shero likes best about Bylsma, whose job was never in danger and won't be this season.

It is also a quality that meshes well with Crosby, who, like Bylsma, is fiercely competitive but stays on message — 99 percent of the time, it moves discussion forward — when everybody not employed by the Penguins is screaming for somebody to scream about something.

Shero once said the easiest thing to do in tough times is to get negative, to make some noise.

His coach wasn't interested in that easy option two weeks ago, and that is a big reason why the Penguins are better today.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:13 PM   #196
Shea
Head Coach

Member Number: 5066

Yayers! Another win tonight.

And Fleury has rebounded, even got a shutout!

Next two games have funky times which I hate since daytime is so busy for me, but it won't be for these games.

Screw everything else. I'll be watching. Go Pens!
Old 11-24-2010, 10:36 PM   #197
Shea
Head Coach

Member Number: 5066

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post
Yeah, I watch everything online (or download it later...I have a torrent site for football games and for hockey games). We don't have cable (anymore) and live so far in the woods that we don't get reception either. That's why we pay out the ass for the highest speed internet we can get and have like 3 terrabyte external drives to store stuff on lol.
Mom, any chance you'll be able to find a link to get the HBO specials about the 24/7 documented series leading up and thru the Winter Classic online?

I don't get that channel yet I'd LOVE to watch the episodes. That's something right up my alley.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:05 AM   #198
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

I love that the Pens won last night, and that Fleury got a shut out...but that was the most boring game so far this year. I don't always need to see tons of points scored or anything, but there was just very little action at all. I couldn't even pay attention for most of it lol.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:06 AM   #199
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea View Post
Mom, any chance you'll be able to find a link to get the HBO specials about the 24/7 documented series leading up and thru the Winter Classic online?

I don't get that channel yet I'd LOVE to watch the episodes. That's something right up my alley.
I'll definitely be checking for something live...but more likely than not, I'll end up having to download the torrents from NHL torrents (which I'll probably do either way).

If they don't have any live streams, I'll be sure to e-mail you the files for it.

Old 11-26-2010, 05:55 PM   #200
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Aftermath: Penguins 2, Senators 1
Friday, 11.26.2010 / 4:22 PM / Features
By Sam Kasan
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=544585&navid=DL|PIT|home

Photos | Podcasts
News
Photo Gallery
Aftermath
Boxscore
Game Blog

There are a lot of factors that have allowed the Penguins to go unbeaten in their last eight games, 7-0-1. Special teams and goaltending have been arguably the biggest catalyst to the team’s success, and that was the case again in its 2-1 victory over Ottawa at CONSOL Energy Center.

The Penguins scored twice on the man-advantage and held the Senators’ PP off the board on three opportunities en route to netting two points in the standings. Pittsburgh’s two power-play goals were the result of some great work in front of the Ottawa net.

Marc-Andre Fleury was awesome between the pipes for the Penguins, stopping 43 shots in the game – including 20 in the first period. Fleury, who has started every game of Pittsburgh’s 7-0-1 streak, made the save of the year with a sliding, split glove save on Chris Kelly in the first period.

The Penguins staved off a final-minute surge by Ottawa to preserve the 2-1 win.

Marc-Andre Fleury no doubt was the biggest reason the Penguins picked up a victory against Ottawa. But Tyler Kennedy was an unsung hero for Pittsburgh.

Kennedy had a strong game and was flying all over the ice. He was rewarded with some time on the power play. Kennedy, in turn, rewarded his coaches by assisting on both Penguins’ goals on the power play (and in the game).

Kenney was part of a scramble above the crease when Evgeni Malkin swooped in to snap a shot into the net for Pittsburgh’s first goal. Kennedy provided the perfect screen, blocking Ottawa goaltender Pascal Leclaire’s view, as Alex Goligoski scored the Penguins’ second goal.

Kennedy finished the game with two assists, six shots, two hits and 11:22 minutes of ice time.

The Penguins received a four-minute double-minor power play when Chris Kelly was called for hooking and holding 2:47 into the third period. Ottawa killed off the first leg of the penalty. The Senators were two more minutes away from escaping unscathed and with a gust of momentum behind them.

But the game turned 18 seconds into the second penalty. Mike Fisher fell down in the high slot, allowing Alex Goligoski to skate the puck deep into the far circle. With Tyler Kennedy providing a screen, Goligoski lifted a perfect shot off the post and into the net.

(AP) - Marc-Andre Fleury made 43 saves, Alex Goligoski scored the winning goal and the Pittsburgh Penguins beat the Ottawa Senators 2-1 for their fifth consecutive game Friday.

Fleury lost six of his first seven decisions and temporarily lost his starting job, but as he has played better, so have the Penguins. Pittsburgh and Fleury are 7-0-1 with a 1.60 goals-against average in their past eight.

Evgeni Malkin also scored with Sidney Crosby assisting on the play for the Penguins. Crosby extended his points streak to 11 games, third-longest of his career and tied for the longest in the NHL this season.

• With one assist, Crosby extended his season-long scoring streak to 11 games, the longest in the NHL this season and third longest of his career. Crosby has 22 points (9G-13A) during the streak.

Marc-Andre Fleury made 43 saves against Ottawa and 30 saves at Buffalo Wednesday night to record his first shutout of the season and 17th of his career. That’s 73 saves in the last 120 minutes of play. Fleury has recorded at least 27 saves in his last five starts.

• Fleury even got involved with Ottawa’s Chris Neil, a noted troublemaker. The two got into the battle after Neil crashed the net hard. Neil even removed Fleury’s helmet during the encounter. Fleury was fired up and really elevated his play following the scuffle.

• The Penguins penalty killers went a perfect 3-for-3 on the afternoon. Pittsburgh hasn’t allowed a power-play goal in 11 of the last 13 contests. The PK unit has killed off 50 of the last 52 penalties (96.2 percent), including 25 straight kills.

• The Senators took 21 shots in the first period, the most by the team in one period this season. The 21 shots allowed by the Penguins in the first was also the most the Penguins have allowed in one frame this season. The Penguins countered with 20 shots in the second period, the most by Pittsburgh in a period this season. Both teams combined for 84 (Ott - 44, Pit - 40).

Closed Thread