Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 11-29-2010, 07:48 PM   #21
mikegrimey
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15679
Default Re: Greetings from a Broncos fan

McDaniels has obviously tried too hard to be an auteur and put his own stamp on running things as a HC at Denver and it has been at the expense of his team.

Going for a complete overhaul and openly feuding with your star players isn't a successful blueprint for any coach.

He's made some inexplicable personnel moves ( Kyle Orton for Jay Cutler, trading numerous draft picks just to get Tebow, Peyton Hillis for Brady Quinn, insisting on using Knowshon Moreno on short yardage situations).

He's trying too hard to be Belichik but maybe he doesn't remember that Belichik didn't start out as a great coach.

He had everyone believing the hype after 6-0 in 2009 but that proved to be a run of luck at throwing darts behind your back blindly, ever since then they've been an atroscity.
mikegrimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:55 PM   #22
mikegrimey
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15679

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acerinox View Post
I take the McDaniels disaster as an encouraging parallel for what's happened to the Steelers.

Mike Shanahan left a wonderful little template for victory in Denver. The Broncos were in contention pretty much every year, even without top talent at the marquee positions - as it seemed you could mostly slot any old RB into the system and have them rack up 1000 yards; or put any ragtag QB in there and have him do a job.

But it was clear from the start that McDaniels wanted to trash the template and do it his way - and in doing so basically smashed up the place and turned Denver into a basket case. You know your franchise is in trouble when it starts making a million trades and throwing future draft picks around like confetti.

This is exactly what Mike Tomlin did not do when he arrived to pick up the legacy of another big name here in Pittsburgh. He could easily have decided to do it "his way"; throw out LeBeau and the 34 for his preferred 43; take our offence more West Coast as he, again, could easily have done given the offensive talent we had at that time (and didn't have in running game/O Line terms). But instead he stuck with the principles of Cowher's heyday - and had his success, and still does.
It's one of the reasons I never understand why people knock Tomlin for "just piggybacking on Cowher's success". Great! I'm glad he did that! Long may that continue!
You make an interesting and valid point.

One of the biggest things that commentators and others observed about Tomlin in his first 2 seasons with us was how much soaking of the job he did as opposed to doing it the McDaniel's way and trying to pull a full overhaul of the system.

I can see why people criticize Tomlin for not having much of his "stamp" on the team all the time but it is a far better alternative than what happened in Denver.
mikegrimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:58 PM   #23
MexicanBillBacker
Water Boy

Member Number: 17357

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
I knew McDaniels was a loser the moment he drafted Knowshon. Mind you, Moreno will probably be a stud for years to come, but the real point was that he had just spent millions of Bowlen's money on a full backfield, only to draft another back. I lost track, too... are any of them even still with the team? I'm sure there were numerous needs he could have addressed instead of RB right there, especially considering the Broncos were 29th in defense the year before.

He's a complete moron, if you ask me.

How about us?

We drafted that ****er Maybin instead of Orakpo
MexicanBillBacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:10 PM   #24
theplatypus
Team Owner

Member Number: 3329

Strange, I was just reading the following post over on Broncos message board. I'm still baffled by his drafting of tt in the 1st round.
Quote:
**Why the team was DOOMED from the start with Josh McDaniel's**
First of all, let's get some facts cleared up.

The 2008 Denver Broncos finished the season with an offense that could fly up and down the field (who had troubles scoring), along with a powder puff defense coached by Bob Slowick.

The final rankings of the offense / defense:

Offense:

2008 offensive yards/game: 395.8

2008 offensive points/game: 23.1

2008 offensive ranking: #2 Overall

Defense:

2008 defense yards/game: 374.6

2008 points/game given up: 28.0

2008 final ranking of defense: #29 overall

Right from those specific statistics, which side of the ball needed more work? It's not calculus, or rocket science. It's not even a hard question. It's a simple answer: the defense.

The defense? It's CLEAR that the #29th ranked defense needed a MAJOR makeover.

Out goes Shanahan. A lot of people tend to forget that one of the MAIN reasons Shanahan was let go as our coach was because he didn't want to get rid of one of the weakest parts of the defense, the defensive coordinator of the #29th ranked defense: Bob Slowick.

Quote:
Three league sources said Tuesday afternoon that in a short meeting, Bowlen had wanted Shanahan to make changes on the team's coaching staff, particularly with defensive coordinator Bob Slowik, and that Shanahan had refused. http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...ree-part-ways/
Bowlen wanted a new coordinator, Shanahan didn't want to make the change. In the end, with the epic ending failure of 2008 season along with this notion, Shanahan was fired.

In comes McDaniel's as the Broncos next head coach. Here is this young coach who helped coach the Patriots to the Super Bowl, with a history breaking offense.

Some people said, why not grab a defensive minded coach? There were guys like Steve Spagnuolo and Leslie Frazier out there who even came in for an interview.

But Bowlen didn't want them, he wanted McDaniel's because he was a young and intriguing coach to him. He hired him on the notion that he was coming from a team who he helped coordinate offensively to the Super Bowl, but he also hired him on the notion that he had a job to do; fix the defense. This is Pat Bowlen, one of the most classiest, trusted, and friendliest GMs to his players. Don't even believe for one second that he had any idea of what McDaniel's was going to do to the offense, and to #6 when he hired him...

Quote:
"I looked at the possibility (of hiring a defensive-oriented coach), but the chance to get this young man was very intriguing to me. I think he's going to be a great head coach. I think he'll fix our defense." -- Bowlen, after announcing the hiring of 32-year-old New England Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels as Broncos head coach, Jan. 12, 2009.
So, McD is now the head coach of the #2 offense and the #29 ranked defense. Right from his very FIRST press conference, McD spoke highly of that offense (specifically Cutler) and what he wanted to accomplish with him:

Quote:
I think Jay is going to enjoy playing in this system, this offense. It is very quarterback-friendly once you get to the point where you can use all the tools that it gives the quarterback. Obviously, he is a very important part of our success going forward and I can't wait to get started working with him." -- McDaniel's, addressing a question about Cuter in his introductory press conference, Jan. 12, 2009.
Cutler, was also on board with McDaniel's shortly after meeting him for the first time:

Quote:
"It went really well," Cutler said. "We talked about a lot of stuff. He's very energetic. When I got off the phone, I was excited. I really was. . . . Just talked to him about the importance of our relationship."
Good work coach. I was STOKED at this stage of the game. New young head coach sought out his star 25 year old QB, and established a great relationship.

There was only ONE thing to do next, and that was FIX the #29th ranked defense.

Instead, we all know what happened. Josh McDaniel's decided to toy with his #2 offense, and put out Jay Cutler on the trading block when he heard Matt Cassel was available. The trade attempt failed, and McD lied and covered it up with the press/fan friendly response:
Quote:
"He is our quarterback."
We all know what happens next, so let's talk about the present day.

Has Josh McDaniel's upgraded the team since 2008? No he hasn't.

Let's go back to the team offensive/defensive statistics:

Quote:
2008 offensive yards/game: 395.8
2010 offensive yards/game: 359.5

2008 offensive points/game: 23.1
2010 offensive points/game: 21.7

2008 offensive ranking: #2 Overall
2010 current ranking: #11 Overall
Quote:
2008 defense yards/game: 374.6
2010 defense yards/game: 375.6

2008 points/game given up: 28.0
2010 points/game given up: 28.7

2008 final ranking of defense: #29 overall
2010 current ranking of defense: #26 overall
As you can see, the #2 overall offense has slipped to the #11 overall offense. A downgrade. 2010 offense is averaging less yards/game along with fewer points. One will say there isn't a BIG difference, but there is a difference none the less.... It's a downgrade.

How about that defense? Take a look... Josh McDaniel's has upgraded the #29th ranked defense to #26!!! Woohoo! Oh wait, take a closer look.... The 2010 defense has given up more yards/game with more points/game than the 2008 defense. This could be either good or bad... There are some games left, but seeing how the Rams could put up 431 yards and 36 points... Those numbers could actually increase (while the overall ranking could fall).

So here we are. Sitting at 3-8; 5-16 since the first six weeks of 2009.

Josh McDaniel's had ONE job to do when he arrived, and that was to fix the 2008 #29th ranked defense.

But oh no... he had to start with the 25 year old QB and the #2 offense.

So here we are today. Judging by our current recorded we have gotten worse. Judging by our offense, it has been downgraded significantly. Judging our defense? Well... I guess you could say we are either equal/worse than 2008.

We were doomed from the start.
theplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:50 PM   #25
GMU Steeler
Living Legend

Member Number: 16173

Quote:
Originally Posted by theplatypus View Post
Strange, I was just reading the following post over on Broncos message board. I'm still baffled by his drafting of tt in the 1st round.
And don't forget he traded two third round picks for a 2nd round pick tight end who has yet to catch a pass in the NFL in Richard Quinn. We used one of those picks to pick a guy named Mike Wallace :). I know Urbik's since been cut and Lewis is strictly special teams at the moment but it was a good draft day trade.
GMU Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:02 PM   #26
BigRick
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 16392

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOFCitySteelers View Post
His dad was my high school coach. I will say, the McDaniels family knows the game of football. I would be more than happy to see him calling plays in Pittsburgh over Ariens.
Just because his dad could coach, doesn' mean he can. Brian Griese was a great QB, but his son sucks, same for Phil Simms. Junior can't always walk in daddy's shoes.
BigRick is offline   Reply With Quote