Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-29-2010, 07:47 PM   #1
NEWstevo
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 15010
Default Will not be tolerated… double standard

NFL personal conduct policy:

Engaging in violent and/or criminal activity is unacceptable and constitutes conduct detrimental to the integrity of and public confidence in the National Football League. Such conduct alienates the fans on whom the success of the League depends and has negative and sometimes tragic consequences for both the victim and the perpetrator.

The League is committed to promoting and encouraging lawful conduct and to providing a safe and professional workplace for its employees.

--------------------------

So, Ben’s off the field behavior was not tolerated, and Goodell said he was going to make an example of him. Verdict: Multi game suspension.

Harrison’s hard hits are not tolerated, and Goodell said he was going to make an example of him. Verdict: Highest fine this season for any player (I think). And, the threat of a suspension.

What about fighting? It’s not only against NFL Personal Conduct; it is punishable by local laws as Assault and Battery. Verdict: Boys will be boys, give them a fine equivalent to a speeding ticket to you and me.

Hell, even Tomlin is starting to get angry over this.

And did anyone else see the video of the ref reaching for his flag (on Harrison's hit) BEFORE he hit Fitzpatrick? It's like the Zapruder film of trigger happy refs head huntering Steeler players!

(man, i need a drink)
NEWstevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:50 PM   #2
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206
Default Re: Will not be tolerated… double standard

yeah, its truly disgusting and was a huge and sad black eye for the NFL when that fight took place and networks all over the place are showing it over and over.
Yet, you can get fined MORE and possibly suspended for hitting someone hard on the field during play. Sickening.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:28 PM   #3
SteelCityRules
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 17383

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
yeah, its truly disgusting and was a huge and sad black eye for the NFL when that fight took place and networks all over the place are showing it over and over.
Yet, you can get fined MORE and possibly suspended for hitting someone hard on the field during play. Sickening.
Nicely said. I agree. Harrison should've played in the 70's.
SteelCityRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:58 PM   #4
BigRick
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 16392

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRules View Post
Nicely said. I agree. Harrison should've played in the 70's.
That would have been awesome. Imagine a linebacking crew of Harrison, Ham, Lambert, and Russell!
BigRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:10 AM   #5
Whodis
Team Captain

Member Number: 6483

I gave this double standard thing some thought and this is what needs to happen.

What happens to the Steelers and their players week after week has to happen to a team like the Jets.

Rex Ryan would not tolerate one sided calls or phantom personal foul pentalties. He would call out the NFL in his press conference and put the pressure on them. Imagine the New York media dealing with it. So the double standard will be there until you do something about it.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:21 AM   #6
theplatypus
Team Owner

Member Number: 3329

You're comparing apples to oranges. The personal conduct policy is in regards to off field transgressions, not on field fights.
theplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:34 AM   #7
Whodis
Team Captain

Member Number: 6483

The personal condust policy is posted. However, the author states "Harrison’s hard hits are not tolerated". I am shedding light on the fact that this witch hunt is hurting our team. There was a football game Sunday against the Buffalo Bills where Harrison hit the QB in the chest after a 3rd down play. It damn near cost us the game.

I'm posting more toward the "double standard" and what I feel could be done to get them off our backs.

They couldn't suspend Johnson because that would be at an unfair advantage for Thursday nights game. Didn't mean to hijack the thread
Old 11-30-2010, 10:44 AM   #8
grward
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 7527

Quote:
Originally Posted by theplatypus View Post
You're comparing apples to oranges. The personal conduct policy is in regards to off field transgressions, not on field fights.
I must have missed the part where is says "off field". Are you seriously going to nitpick this and try to excuse what is taking place? If the policy does include "off field" somewhere in the wording I still don't think it matters? So if a player happens to moon the fans after a play, would this still not fall under personal conduct because it took place on the field? I guess I just don't see it as apples and organges is all. Personal conduct does not change because of your location at the time.
grward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:52 AM   #9
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,728 Times in 2,915 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grward View Post
I must have missed the part where is says "off field". Are you seriously going to nitpick this and try to excuse what is taking place? If the policy does include "off field" somewhere in the wording I still don't think it matters? So if a player happens to moon the fans after a play, would this still not fall under personal conduct because it took place on the field? I guess I just don't see it as apples and organges is all. Personal conduct does not change because of your location at the time.
its not nitpicking. it is what it is.

personal conduct (by definition) implies what is done on the players Personal Time i.e. time off the field.

time on the field, or in/on nfl properties, is their professional time and the time they get paid for.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:00 AM   #10
theplatypus
Team Owner

Member Number: 3329

Quote:
Originally Posted by grward View Post

Quote:
On April 10, 2007, the National Football League introduced a new conduct policy to help control off-field behavior by its players and preserve the league's public image.[1] The policy, introduced by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, implements a tougher, new personal-conduct policy, and under conditions of the previous policy handed down two of the harshest suspensions in NFL history for off-field misdeeds.[2] Each player that has been suspended must reapply for reinstatement.[3] The policy only applies to the player's personal lives and image in the public spotlight. The NFL conducts separate investigations for drug and alcohol abuse and performance enhancement.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationa...ct_controversy

I'm not nitpicking anything. I'm saying compare apples to freaking apples. If you don't/won't/can't see the difference between what Ben allegedly did(2x) and a fight on the field then nothing anyone does or says will help.
theplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote