Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-30-2010, 12:11 PM   #11
Whodis
Team Captain

Member Number: 6483
Default Re: Will not be tolerated… double standard

Quote:
Originally Posted by theplatypus View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationa...ct_controversy

I'm not nitpicking anything. I'm saying compare apples to freaking apples. If you don't/won't/can't see the difference between what Ben allegedly did(2x) and a fight on the field then nothing anyone does or says will help.
Apples to Apples

Do you think the punishment for the fight was fair compared to what has been happening to Harrison?

Apples to Apples

How do you rank this with the fine given to Seymor? A repeat offender who hit someone that wasn't engaged with him at the time.

Lets focus on the "double standard" and your opinion about it. I ask you, what would happen if a shady roughing the passer call costs the Jets the game against the Pats? What do you think the fallout will be? Do you think Rex Ryan will say "we need to work on tackling technique". Theres no right or wrong answer just curious what your hung up on.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:30 PM   #12
theplatypus
Team Owner

Member Number: 3329

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodis View Post
Apples to Apples

Do you think the punishment for the fight was fair compared to what has been happening to Harrison?

Apples to Apples

How do you rank this with the fine given to Seymor? A repeat offender who hit someone that wasn't engaged with him at the time.

Lets focus on the "double standard" and your opinion about it. I ask you, what would happen if a shady roughing the passer call costs the Jets the game against the Pats? What do you think the fallout will be? Do you think Rex Ryan will say "we need to work on tackling technique". Theres no right or wrong answer just curious what your hung up on.
Apparently you and I have different ideas as to what makes an apple an apple, but anyway.

I've got no problems with the penalty for the Finnegan vs what's his name fight. The NFL hasn't come out and warned everyone about fighting. A fight like we saw on Sunday isn't the norm, it's an anomaly. Unlike helmet to helmet hits which are dangerous and potentially life threatening. I think if the NFL really cared about player safety and helmet to helmet hits they would put them back in leather helmets. Doing so would put an end to it with a quickness.
I think that Seymour should have been suspended for sucker punching Ben. However, the calls against Harrison don't influence my opinion there. It's simply based on the fact he's done if before and there's no place for it in sports at any level(clearly I'm not referring to boxing, mma.....). As far as the call against Harrison on Sunday, I thought it was close. But, if they called a personal foul for that bs hit on Cambell the week before clearly the hit on Fitz was going to be called as well.

I'm not hung up on anything, simply pointing out that the OP is comparing apples to oranges. Regarding the remaining questions I'm not going to worry about mythical scenarios and what another teams coach would do about it. I don't want to see Tomlin up there during a press conference after a loss crying about the refs. Doing so would just make him/the Steelers look like sore losers. For every time a game is supposedly decided by a penalty I guarantee you can find 10 plays the losing team didn't make that would have changed their fortune.

Last edited by theplatypus; 11-30-2010 at 01:13 PM.
theplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:52 PM   #13
Whodis
Team Captain

Well said.

I don't agree with any of the punishment for hitting. The NFL promotes a violent game that invovles hard hits. I'm a huge hockey fan. The league tried to "clean up" it's image starting in the late 80's early 90's with bigger rinks and Europeans. To make a long story short...... The games sucked

The NFL doesn't care about player safety or well being. This is a knee jerk reaction to what they percieved as a hit to their image. They wing it week to week with fines. I felt the pentalty against Harrison in the Bills game was "HUGE"! I could look at that call and say "that changed the game".
Old 11-30-2010, 01:11 PM   #14
theplatypus
Team Owner

Member Number: 3329

To me the game changing play was the last holding call against Kemo(?) w/ just over a minute left. It was 3rd and 7 the Bills had no time outs left and it negated a 17 yard completion which would have ended the game. Even then there were easily 10 plays earlier in the game that if a catch was made or a tackle was made then we wouldn't have been in that position to begin with.
theplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:52 PM   #15
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Quote:
Well said.

I don't agree with any of the punishment for hitting. The NFL promotes a violent game that invovles hard hits. I'm a huge hockey fan. The league tried to "clean up" it's image starting in the late 80's early 90's with bigger rinks and Europeans. To make a long story short...... The games sucked

The NFL doesn't care about player safety or well being. This is a knee jerk reaction to what they percieved as a hit to their image. They wing it week to week with fines. I felt the pentalty against Harrison in the Bills game was "HUGE"! I could look at that call and say "that changed the game".

baseball has done the same thing (aiming for bigger scores, shorter fences for home runs, frowning on good pitching, etc....). And what an abysmal failure that has been. Nobody gives a f*** about baseball anymore. When someone says "baseball", you can hear the crickets chirping...(and that will only get worse as the younger people even care less about baseball)
The example of the 18-14 baseball game and the 66-49 football game has pretty much proven themselves overhyped, un-interesting and un-worthy. For some reason, Goodell hasn't learned this lesson.
I don't see what kind of "hit to their image" has to do with anything. Football has been just fine for years and years and has gained more popularity each year, and there's always been hard hitting (a major part of the appeal). Hit to their image??
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:25 PM   #16
Whodis
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
I don't see what kind of "hit to their image" has to do with anything. Football has been just fine for years and years and has gained more popularity each year, and there's always been hard hitting (a major part of the appeal). Hit to their image??
I agre with what your saying %100. Image was the word used when they started to come down with fines. The kid from Rutgers? got paralyzed and conncussions were the hottest topic. The NFL has Prieber Fever and they will do what it takes to protect Brady.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:33 PM   #17
BigRick
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 16392

Quote:
Apples to Apples

Apples to Apples

It should be apparent to every Steelers fan that the NFL ruling powers have it in for Harrison and the Steelers. After whwt has happened the last few weeks and the blatant unfairness of the fines. I used to take the bad calls with a grain of salt because they usually went against both teams. But this is getting out of hand. Dileberate sucker punches and fist fights get light fines because they don't play for the Steelers.
BigRick is offline   Reply With Quote