Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-04-2010, 08:19 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Behind the Ravens-Steelers rivalry, plus 10 things to watch for Sunday

Behind the Ravens-Steelers rivalry, plus 10 things to watch for Sunday
Peter King GAME PLAN
SI.com

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ers/index.html

When the Steelers and Ravens met in Pittsburgh for the AFC Championship two years ago, I covered the game for Sports Illustrated, and I saw Phil Simms taking a break from his CBS broadcast duties at halftime of what had been one of the most violent games in any sport that I'd ever seen. Simms, it seems, agreed.

"Is there some hitting out there today OR WHAT!'' Simms said with a dazed look on his face, as if to say, Boy, I sure am glad I'm not playing in this one.

There's something about this rivalry. It's almost medieval. Though it wasn't football justice that the Steelers came away from Buffalo with a gift win last Sunday when Steve Johnson dropped what would have been the winning touchdown pass in overtime, I have to admit I was thinking when Pittsburgh survived: Good. Now the Pittsburgh-Baltimore game this week's going to be bigger. With both teams winning last week, this game now matches 8-3 Pittsburgh at 8-3 Baltimore, with the AFC North title and a playoff bye very much in play when they meet Sunday night on NBC.

I wanted to try to capture what the rivalry was like -- not the anger of town versus town, but what it's like on the field to play in this game. So I asked Pittsburgh safety Ryan Clark, whose hit on Willis McGahee in the open field of the AFC title game 23 months ago still rings as one of the biggest Steeler hits ever.

"After a game against the Ravens, you wake up Monday morning, and it's just different,'' he said. "These two teams have been built that way. If there's another team in football that's been built like us, like a physical team that takes pride in never being out-hit, it's Baltimore. I can guarantee you Sunday that on any play you look at, there'll be 22 guys on the field, and not a single one of them will be soft. Our attitude is, even if we lose, we can't let the other team be more physical, and I can guarantee you we won't. Even the players who you don't think of as playing physical position -- Derrick Mason, Hines Ward, Willis McGahee, Ray Rice, Rashard Mendenhall, all our guys -- come into this game attacking.''

Clark says photos from his hit of McGahee two years ago make up about 80 percent of the pictures he signs when he autographs for Steeler fans. In the title game, Pittsburgh led 23-14 in the fourth quarter, and the Ravens were driving, trying to get back in the game. McGahee took a short pass from Joe Flacco and turned upfield when Clark launched himself into McGahee, cracking into his helmet. Both men fell to the turf, and McGahee, severely concussed, lay motionless for several minutes until taken off the field on a cart. "I may live on in Steeler lore because of that one play,'' Clark said. "The sad thing is he got hurt, and I regretted that, obviously. But it's the kind of play you get in this rivalry.''

It's the kind of play, now, that will get a $50,000 fine from the NFL, most likely. And the recent crackdown by the NFL on helmet-to-helmet hits on receivers, which have left the Steelers feeling like the league office is targeting them, has actually changed the way Clark plays -- to a degree. "I try to place my aiming point lower than the head,'' Clark said. "I'll play hard, fast and physical, and deal with the rest later.''

He'll join the club then. One other point: I find it interesting that even though these two teams are as nasty to each other on the field as any two that I've seen in 26 years covering the NFL, there's a sort of warriors' code at play here. The two communities won't feel this way, but when the two teams walk off the field close to midnight Sunday, there will be a nodding sort of respect between them.

Clark acknowledged that respect. Take what he's about to say the right way, Pittsburgh.

"Hatred is a strong word,'' Clark said. "I don't particularly hate them. In fact, the ultimate respect I can give them is if I couldn't play for Pittsburgh, I'd want to play for Baltimore.''

He paused for a second, then laughed. "Now make sure you say I don't want to play for them -- I hope I play for Pittsburgh the rest of my career. I love the Steelers. I love being a Steeler. I love Steeler Nation. But here's what I mean: We play football like it's supposed to be played. So do they.''

In the safe new world of the NFL, I hope the collisions are loud Sunday. And legal. And not including the head. Because this is the game I look forward to like no other.

8. Big Ben's Big Foot. Broken, unbroken, it hurts. But that's not going to matter much Sunday night. Wouldn't be surprised to see Roethlisberger flexing the foot and limping on national TV Sunday night, but he won't be leaving the game against the Ravens barring halftime amputation. In any case, I think this is more of a Rashard Mendenhall game anyway.

(The rest of the article is not about the Steelers - mesa)
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote