Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-19-2010, 07:20 PM   #11
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148
Default Re: Is It LeBeau ? Or is it Troy ?

BTW when will our Offense finally come and WIN a game!!!
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:20 PM   #12
Raw Steel
Team Captain

Member Number: 15349
My Mood: Tired

The Steelers are 5-7 without Polamalu now. Enough said.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:24 PM   #13
truesteelerfan
Team Captain

Member Number: 11218
My Mood: Yeehaw

The D was fine I think....Mundy filled in just fine for what he has to offer. Better to rest Troy IMO and have him healthy for 1st round of PO
truesteelerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:42 PM   #14
Chadmagic
Banned

Member Number: 17433

You are right the D didn't cost us the game. Special teams cost us the game on the opening play!
Chadmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:58 PM   #15
steelerjim58
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14701

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raw Steel View Post
The Steelers are 5-7 without Polamalu now. Enough said.
I would bet that in most if not all of those games, if the o puts up at least 24 points they win at least 10 of them.
steelerjim58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:18 PM   #16
FanSince72
Team Owner

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,529 Times in 678 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerEmpire View Post
I know our Offense scratches and claws most every game... so I'll leave that gripe for another post. However, 1) when Troy is playing the Defense usually excels. When Troy is not there AND LeBeau IS there, the defense is average at best. 2) It seems every time Troy makes a big play, he took it upon HIMSELF to gamble as opposed to credit of a play call. And 3) When LeBeau made Woodley the roaming player for the earlier part of the year (and Troy was forced to follow play routes) we just stopped getting turnovers and there was a big difference in game changing plays. When Troy was put back as the roamer, he makes a big play each game and gets talk as defensive MVP. Maybe Troy P. is a better D Coordinator ? Should he be getting the credit and praise that LeBeau gets instead ? Just my thoughts...

Polamalu's absence is crucial and I won't argue that, but just as the defense could have used Troy, the offense could have used Miller because he's just as important to them as Troy is to the defense.

Because Miller was out, Hines was often neutralized by having to stay in and block (we lose a receiver) so Tomlin basically had an offense AND a defense that was operating at 80% or less overall. If he had played Miller, Hines may have been freed up and the play calling would have changed and maybe they could have lit things up more, but I think Tomlin chose the future over the present in terms of not risking key players if he didn't have to.

All of this put the defense in a position of not having any cush to work with and without Troy, they were more vulnerable to begin with and they were pressing too much because they didn't have any lead to work with (and let's not forget the opening kickoff which sure as hell didn't help).

Tomlin gambled on leaving Miller out because he wants him at 100% going forward. I think that because he knows he's going to the playoffs, he was willing to risk a loss not just to allow Miller and others to get healthier but also to get guys like Johnson and Spaeth more real-time reps as well as leaning more on Wallace and the rooks to gain more knowledge of routes and reads.

I hate this loss just as much as you do (maybe more because I live in Jets territory and have to put up with their insufferable BS) but I think it was a good call by Tomlin to lean towards getting things set up for the post season rather than risking more injuries that he can't afford.
FanSince72 is online now   Reply With Quote