Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-20-2010, 10:06 PM   #11
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Re: Offense just not "clicking"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fer522 View Post
we suck ass
No,

Airhead Arians sucks ass!

I think we have the offensive personnel to win much more easily than we have been if only they were used properly. Unfortunately for us the Airhead is incapable of doing that.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:37 PM   #12
fer522
ACERERO

Archery 2000 Champion! Archery Champion! Galaxians Champion! Apple Shooter Champion!
Member Number: 16190
Thanked 2,236 Times in 992 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Quote:
No,

Airhead Arians sucks ass!

I think we have the offensive personnel to win much more easily than we have been if only they were used properly. Unfortunately for us the Airhead is incapable of doing that.

OK Arians sucks ass then
fer522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:12 AM   #13
caseyviator
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 17468

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloppbeast View Post
I think they've improved greatly. After watching the offense struggle through every game since Oakland, I was with you last week.

But in my opinion, the offense looked pretty good yesterday. The most import thing I saw was the redzone offense. Besides the last drive whicn amounted to 2 plays from 9 yard line with 9 seconds left - quite an anomoly - the redzone offense was good. In a normal game where the opponents defensive backs are not permitted to maul our WRs, the offense would probably put up at least 10 more points.

This was a close game against a playoff team that came down to the wire. It isn't a horrible loss by any stretch, and it should hardly feel at all like the downer everyone is describing. Despite what 90% of the people on this forum are sayint, the sky isn't falling.
im wit you i thought we were much improved and if the refs withstop lettin the reciever being held we win that game by 14 points....we need to play redman insted of moore big time...redman is star in waiting , reminds me of how willy had to wait 3 years b4 bein givin a shot,...redman might be a great runnin back , wont know till we play him more regularily...ps he can catch to give him a chance n cut moore..
caseyviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:33 AM   #14
FanSince72
Team Owner

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,480 Times in 662 Posts

I know that Arians is the obvious target for the lack of offensive production but there's a lot more going on than just "bad play calling"

Consider this:
  • Ben was out for the first 4 weeks and was completely isolated from the team (unlike being injured which still allows him to be "part of" things).
  • Santonio is gone and he was Ben's emerging "go to" guy.
  • The F.O. mandated "more running" and that has thrown a fairly large monkey wrench into game planning.
  • The injuries to the O-line and the lack of consistency that follows - especially when the F.O. wants "more running plays".
  • Two rookie recievers who will one day become great assets but are still finding their way and have yet to develop any real "chemistry".
  • Hines is getting older and because of the weakened O-line has to stay home to block more often.
  • The injuries to the Defense, most notably Smith, which puts more pressure on the Offense because they are allowing opposing offenses to stay on the field longer and score more often.
  • The lack of a true "Big Back" like Jerome who was sometimes more like an "Eighth Lineman" which forces the O-line to have to create larger holes for the smaller - less powerful backs we now have.

And this is just the stuff I can think of off the top of my head. So in my opinion, it's a lot more than just Arians and there are far more things at work than just bad play calling. I think that given all of this (as well as what we don't know) I'd say that we're holding our own and are making some progress - slowly as it may be.

The more this team plays together, the more chemistry it creates and that takes time. This season is more like trying to plug a dozen leaks with only enough corks for six and it's more complicated than just "Fire Arians".

I myself think that I see signs of things starting to come together but slowly and in little bits. But that's better than sensing things are falling apart and I'm hopeful that we can get things squared away enough in the coming weeks to have a realistic shot at the Super Bowl. But the only real concern is what happens in the next game and we'll have to see how that goes.

Baby steps.
FanSince72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:00 PM   #15
Whodis
Team Captain

Member Number: 6483

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post
I know that Arians is the obvious target for the lack of offensive production but there's a lot more going on than just "bad play calling"

Consider this:
  • Ben was out for the first 4 weeks and was completely isolated from the team (unlike being injured which still allows him to be "part of" things).
  • Santonio is gone and he was Ben's emerging "go to" guy.
  • The F.O. mandated "more running" and that has thrown a fairly large monkey wrench into game planning.
  • The injuries to the O-line and the lack of consistency that follows - especially when the F.O. wants "more running plays".
  • Two rookie recievers who will one day become great assets but are still finding their way and have yet to develop any real "chemistry".
  • Hines is getting older and because of the weakened O-line has to stay home to block more often.
  • The injuries to the Defense, most notably Smith, which puts more pressure on the Offense because they are allowing opposing offenses to stay on the field longer and score more often.
  • The lack of a true "Big Back" like Jerome who was sometimes more like an "Eighth Lineman" which forces the O-line to have to create larger holes for the smaller - less powerful backs we now have.

And this is just the stuff I can think of off the top of my head. So in my opinion, it's a lot more than just Arians and there are far more things at work than just bad play calling. I think that given all of this (as well as what we don't know) I'd say that we're holding our own and are making some progress - slowly as it may be.

The more this team plays together, the more chemistry it creates and that takes time. This season is more like trying to plug a dozen leaks with only enough corks for six and it's more complicated than just "Fire Arians".

I myself think that I see signs of things starting to come together but slowly and in little bits. But that's better than sensing things are falling apart and I'm hopeful that we can get things squared away enough in the coming weeks to have a realistic shot at the Super Bowl. But the only real concern is what happens in the next game and we'll have to see how that goes.

Baby steps.
i'll have 2 of what you had

Didn't Vick miss a couple games? just saying

IMO I think the run game is going to be key late in the season. When we were up by 7 against the Jets we came out and threw 3 straight incompletions. As a Steeler fan I just don't think the pass happy offense some guys or girls want to see out of Pitt. works in our division and or stadium.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:11 PM   #16
FanSince72
Team Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodis View Post
i'll have 2 of what you had

Didn't Vick miss a couple games? just saying

IMO I think the run game is going to be key late in the season. When we were up by 7 against the Jets we came out and threw 3 straight incompletions. As a Steeler fan I just don't think the pass happy offense some guys or girls want to see out of Pitt. works in our division and or stadium.
OK, let me ask you this:

If, when we were down by 7, Ben came out throwing and instead of throwing to either Wallace, Sanders, Brown or Randel-El he had Santonio Holmes - along with the chemistry that took years to build with him - do you still think that he would have thrown three straight incompletions?

Doubt it.

My point is that Ben hasn't changed all that much - the team around him has changed and given the late start and lack of a true "go to" guy, he's a bit rudderless right now.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:16 PM   #17
Whodis
Team Captain

Member Number: 6483

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post
OK, let me ask you this:

If, when we were down by 7, Ben came out throwing and instead of throwing to either Wallace, Sanders, Brown or Randel-El he had Santonio Holmes - along with the chemistry that took years to build with him - do you still think that he would have thrown three straight incompletions?

Doubt it.

My point is that Ben hasn't changed all that much - the team around him has changed and given the late start and lack of a true "go to" guy, he's a bit rudderless right now.
Don't get me wrong, I agreed with most of your post stated and the Santonio Holmes chemistry is a valid point. My question is if you have a back averaging 5.9 yards a carry would your best option be to throw with the lead?

Maybe it is chemistry and or rust. I just thought we would have blew out the cob webs by now.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:49 PM   #18
FanSince72
Team Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodis View Post
Don't get me wrong, I agreed with most of your post stated and the Santonio Holmes chemistry is a valid point. My question is if you have a back averaging 5.9 yards a carry would your best option be to throw with the lead?

Maybe it is chemistry and or rust. I just thought we would have blew out the cob webs by now.
I get what you're saying and yes, it is a bit of a head-scratcher.

All I can think of are two things:

1. Ben just likes throwing the ball and does so whether it's a good idea or not or,
2. Maybe there are more cobwebs than we think there are (or should be).

Actually I think it's a little of both. I think he might be trying to rush things along (and maybe he's missing "Tone more than he cares to admit) as well as maybe not being as "up to speed" as he may think he is.

But then we could just Fire Arians since that seems to be everyone's idea of fixing things.

Of course to me that's a little like having your car pulling to one side at highway speed and addressing the problem by unbolting the steering wheel and throwing it out the window.

That ought to do it, right?
Old 12-22-2010, 12:59 PM   #19
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Yeehaw

What the heck are they passing so much when they are playing in the snow? That is my question. You win games in the snow by pounding, pounding, and more pounding with a running game to wear the defense down by the fourth quarter. They don't really want to be there playing in the snow any way. These three and outs are just plain stupid with the talent this team has.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:19 PM   #20
FanSince72
Team Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVSteelersfan View Post
What the heck are they passing so much when they are playing in the snow? That is my question. You win games in the snow by pounding, pounding, and more pounding with a running game to wear the defense down by the fourth quarter. ....

Or you could throw for 369 yards, 2 TD's, have no interceptions and win by a score of 36-7 in 26 degree heavy snow with a 30 mph wind like New England did against the Bears.

I guess it's all in how you look at it.