Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 12-22-2010, 06:32 PM   #1
SteelKnight
Team President

Member Number: 16119
Default Steelers Debate NFL Network

Charles Davis: I think the Steelers can definitely compete with the best in the AFC. The reason why is the play of their defense.

When Troy Polamalu is on the field, the Steelers defense is as good as there is out there. It's a defense that keeps them in ballgames, can score points for them and sets up the offense with solid field position.

People have been talking about what the Steelers are missing offensively. But anytime you have Ben Roethlisberger, you know he's done it time and time again. He can throw it in bad weather, and we know Rashard Mendenhall can get it done in the elements as well.

I think the Steelers can compete with anyone, and the defense is the constant. It wouldn't shock me to see them beat anyone, and although the Patriots are the hot team right now, I think the AFC is evenly matched. But I don't think anyone is out of reach in the NFL this year.

Marshall Faulk
: I don't know that the Steelers are adept to winning on the road. If they're forced to go Baltimore or New England in a playoff atmosphere and win, I don't know that they can do it.

Except perhaps in Kansas City, winning on the road could be a problem for the Steelers.

But at home in the playoffs, with Troy Polamalu, the Steelers are capable. We saw last week that Ben Roethlisberger is healthy. I'm not saying he was pulling the wool over our eyes, but to see him back and scrambling like he's capable of doing, he's healthy.

There's not a lot to dislike about the Steelers, but they get away from the run too often. Polamalu is the most instinctive player I've seen play the game, and the defense creates matchup problems and is a handful for any opponent. It's not an easy game when you play the Steelers. The Steelers are dangerous, but I'm not quite sure they're what they used to be, as far as going on the road and winning playoff games.

So who's right?
Old 12-22-2010, 06:37 PM   #2
SteelKnight
Team President

Default Re: Steelers Debate NFL Network

I think Both have points but Davis is more one the money. About Marshal's road thing, it really doesn't bother me. I'm not really afraid of being on the road.

The only team I'm afraid of on the road is the Pats. I'd still be scared but hopeful at home but I am less confident about going into Foxborough and pulling off the upset. I do know this, if we are going to do that, our offense better be clicking. We will need 30+ points. It won't be one where we can just hope the defense can keep it low scoring and make one good offensive play.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:52 PM   #3
Whodis
Team Captain

Member Number: 6483

Marshall Faulk: I don't know that the Steelers are adept to winning on the road. If they're forced to go Baltimore or New England in a playoff atmosphere and win, I don't know that they can do it.

What does he mean by that? We lost 3 home games right?

I think some of us wonder if anyone can beat the patriots anywhere
Old 12-22-2010, 07:22 PM   #4
Third Rail
Team Captain

Member Number: 16177

Yeah, they both make good points but I don't understand Faulk's road thing. Why couldn't we win on the road? We've only lost one road game this season, right? I know there's the "playoff atmosphere" but we're not a team that chokes in the first round too often.
Third Rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:51 PM   #5
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438

Quote:
There's not a lot to dislike about the Steelers, but they get away from the run too often,
I think we the talent to compete with any in the AFC but I don't Airhead Arians will use it correctly.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:15 PM   #6
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
I think we the talent to compete with any in the AFC but I don't Airhead Arians will use it correctly.
I think that getting away from the run is overplayed. It was true last year but this year I think we've been committed to the run. If fact, I think we've run too many times on second down and long forcing a third "all or none" passing down. Next thing you know we are punting.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:39 PM   #7
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,213 Times in 3,236 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelKnight View Post
[B]

Marshall Faulk
: I don't know that the Steelers are adept to winning on the road. If they're forced to go Baltimore or New England in a playoff atmosphere and win, I don't know that they can do it.

Except perhaps in Kansas City, winning on the road could be a problem for the Steelers.

So who's right?
Faulk's argument is flawed and based on his comments over this past season Faulk has issues with the Steelers - do not know whether it goes back to when he lost in the playoffs to the Steelers when he was with the Colts but he has issues

Winning on the road in the playoffs is tough for any team - even the sainted Patriots lost on the road at Denver in 2005 and Indy in 2006

But as far as being unable to win at Baltimore in "a playoff atmosphere" the 2008 December game in Baltimore was for a first round bye and the December 2010 game in Baltimore probably was for a bye as well - games in Baltimore do not bother the Steelers

As for New England, Steelers have trouble with that team anywhere

But I actually think road games in January are to the Steelers benefit because their team speed on defense is impaired by playing at Heinz Cow Pasture
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:51 PM   #8
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,439 Times in 2,737 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

what the faulk is he talking about? lol

steelers are 4-3 at home, 6-1 on the road. TBH i like my chances on the road
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:05 PM   #9
fer522
ACERERO

Archery 2000 Champion! Archery Champion! Galaxians Champion! Apple Shooter Champion!
Member Number: 16190
Thanked 2,058 Times in 931 Posts
My Mood: Cool

Quote:
The Steelers are dangerous, but I'm not quite sure they're what they used to be, as far as going on the road and winning playoff games
Quote:
There's not a lot to dislike about the Steelers, but they get away from the run too often
he's right on the money
fer522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:06 PM   #10
fer522
ACERERO

Archery 2000 Champion! Archery Champion! Galaxians Champion! Apple Shooter Champion!
Member Number: 16190
Thanked 2,058 Times in 931 Posts
My Mood: Cool

Quote:
what the faulk is he talking about? lol
fer522 is offline   Reply With Quote