Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 12-24-2010, 02:48 PM   #51
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850
Default Re: Should Rooney fire Tomlin and Arians and bring back Bill Cowher?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moedap View Post
I have no problem with Tomlins/Arians philosophy of attacking defenses through the air. I may have a problem with how they execute that philosophy but the philosophy itself is sound. Take a look at this list of the last 13 Superbowl participants(winner listed first):

1998 Denver Broncos vs. Green Bay Packers
1999 Denver Broncos vs. Atlanta Falcons
2000 St. Louis Rams vs. Tennessee Titans
2001 Baltimore Ravens vs. New York Giants
2002 New England Patriots vs. St. Louis Rams
2003 Tampa Bay Bucs vs. Oakland Raiders
2004 New England vs. Carolina Panthers
2005 New England vs. Philadelphia Eagles
2006 Steelers vs. Seattle
2007 Indy Colts vs. Chicago Bears
2008 New York Giants vs. New England Patriots
2009 Steelers vs. Cardinals
2010 NO Saints vs. Indy Colts

The entries in bold face are the only SB winners that had a team with a run-first philosophy and I believe they only won because of superior defenses. The SB win from our Steelers in 2006 was only accomplished due to the passing game plans the Steelers used in the AFC playoffs. This is a passing league heck even the losers of most of these SB's had pass first mentalities.

I believe Tomlin is keeping Arians around because he ,Arians, is trying to accomplish what Tomlin wants to see "chunk" plays. Again I too have problems with how they are executing their philosophy but running the ball 80% of the time killed us when Cowher faced those pass first teams.
Spot on... Both the Ravens and Bucs passed more than usually do in the playoffs also. Running the ball wont win games against supperior teams, you have to pass atleast half the time.
Broncos did beat greenbay on the ground, even Elway had a big run. But in the playoffs Elway had a couple big comeback drives to get them to the superbowl.
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 04:05 PM   #52
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by moedap View Post
I have no problem with Tomlins/Arians philosophy of attacking defenses through the air. I may have a problem with how they execute that philosophy but the philosophy itself is sound. Take a look at this list of the last 13 Superbowl participants(winner listed first):

1998 Denver Broncos vs. Green Bay Packers
1999 Denver Broncos vs. Atlanta Falcons
2000 St. Louis Rams vs. Tennessee Titans
2001 Baltimore Ravens vs. New York Giants
2002 New England Patriots vs. St. Louis Rams
2003 Tampa Bay Bucs vs. Oakland Raiders
2004 New England vs. Carolina Panthers
2005 New England vs. Philadelphia Eagles
2006 Steelers vs. Seattle
2007 Indy Colts vs. Chicago Bears
2008 New York Giants vs. New England Patriots
2009 Steelers vs. Cardinals
2010 NO Saints vs. Indy Colts

The entries in bold face are the only SB winners that had a team with a run-first philosophy and I believe they only won because of superior defenses. The SB win from our Steelers in 2006 was only accomplished due to the passing game plans the Steelers used in the AFC playoffs. This is a passing league heck even the losers of most of these SB's had pass first mentalities.

I believe Tomlin is keeping Arians around because he ,Arians, is trying to accomplish what Tomlin wants to see "chunk" plays. Again I too have problems with how they are executing their philosophy but running the ball 80% of the time killed us when Cowher faced those pass first teams.
I'm not as convinced. The other way to look at this list is to see how many of the eventual Super Bowl winners had studs at running back. Elway never did squat until Terrell Davis showed up. Warner won with Marshall Faulk, but not a lot without him. The Ravens had Jamal Lewis in his record-setting prime. Manning had Edge, we had Bettis, Parker and Mendenhall, etc.

New England is, if anything, the exception that proves the rule: you need to be able to run the ball whenever you need to run the ball. TB and the Giants may not have had studs, but they were league leaders in rushing with committee backfields. You might want to look the stats over again... all of the stats, not just the ones Arians would like for you to be reading.
Old 12-24-2010, 04:10 PM   #53
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
I'm not as convinced. The other way to look at this list is to see how many of the eventual Super Bowl winners had studs at running back. Elway never did squat until Terrell Davis showed up. Warner won with Marshall Faulk, but not a lot without him. The Ravens had Jamal Lewis in his record-setting prime. Manning had Edge, we had Bettis, Parker and Mendenhall, etc.

New England is, if anything, the exception that proves the rule: you need to be able to run the ball whenever you need to run the ball. TB and the Giants may not have had studs, but they were league leaders in rushing with committee backfields. You might want to look the stats over again... all of the stats, not just the ones Arians would like for you to be reading.

It's not about either/or it's about BALANCE and the Airhead is UNBALANCED!
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 04:37 PM   #54
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
I do not drink and I am quite serious. I will no longer give Moron Mike a pass for Airhead Arians incompetence. I hold Tomlin to same standards that I am held to. I supervise 5 junior engineers. If they screw up and I do nothing then I am responsible. If they screw up and I seal the plans then not only would I be fired but I would be sued and quite possibly lose my license to practice engineering.
But to make your analogy accurate, your department of 5 junior engineers would have had to have just won some national award for being the best engineering team in the world in 2008, and been a department with consistently strong performance metrics.

"Moron Mike" has a career record of 45-22, a Superbowl win in year 2, what is looking to be 3 Division TItles out of 4 years, and never had record worse than 9-7. And you want to fire him just because our offense doesn't look the way you personally want it to?

Quote:
We have the personnel to run the ball and have a balanced innovative attack. Airhead chooses not to run and is incapable of designing an intelligent game plan. Instead he uses his same old, oh so predictable, pass happy offense.
Well, to be fair, that "oh so predictable offense" performed pretty darn well in 2007, when Ben was third in the league behind Brady and Manning, Parker was leading the NFL in yardage, and Ward was having a career season. They did pretty well in 2009 too, with 2 1000 yard receivers, a 1000-yard rusher at 4.6 YPC, and a 4000 yard QB.

Quote:
We have won in spite of our offense not because of them. When ever our wide receivers say we are passing to much then something is seriously wrong with our game plan. If Tomlin doesn't fix it then he is responsible.
Responsible, yes, but a "moron", no. But despite that, we are gonna be 12-4, AFC North Champs, and in prime position to win another SB.

Quote:
Arians will get us bounced from the playoffs and it will be Tomlin's fault. Belicheat will be licking his chops game planning against Arians.
You need to give credit where it is due. Belicheat is licking his chops gameplanning against Lebeau, not Arians. In case you didn't notice, our untouchable defense is what lost us that game to the Pats.

You can argue that our team is great, but MAYBE COULD BE BETTER if we had a different offensive coordinator. But to say we should just scrap everything, fire all of our championship coaches, and go back to the drawing board-- comes off as a bit irrational, ill-planned, and speaking frankly, kinda childish.

Whomever it was that said Steelers fans are some of the most spoiled sports fans in the world, was absolutely right....