Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 12-27-2010, 10:40 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers consider adding 4,000 seats to Heinz Field

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...nt_715546.html

Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Steelers consider adding 4,000 seats to Heinz Field

By Scott Brown and Bill Vidonic
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, December 27, 2010

The Steelers are considering adding as many as 4,000 seats in Heinz Field.

The Steelers said Monday that construction could begin in 2012 if the team moves forward with the expansion project in the North Shore stadium, which seats 65,050.

Mary Conturo, executive director of the Stadium Authority and the Sports & Exhibition Authority, said the seats would be in the south end of the stadium, under the scoreboard, and would not change the overall footprint of the stadium.

"They're just beginning to look at whether this is feasible or not," Conturo said. "Financially, more seats generate more revenue for the city and the authority. If it's feasible, it's certainly worth considering."

Conturo said Art Rooney II, the Steelers president and co-owner, briefed Stadium Authority board members individually about the expansion plans before the authority's public meeting yesterday. Rooney could not be reached for comment.

The Steelers said a decision on whether to expand seating by between 2,500 and 4,000 seats wouldn't be made for another year.

Steelers spokesman Dave Lockett said that it was "too preliminary for us" for discussions on who would pay for the expansion.

The Steelers contributed about $76.5 million and state and county taxpayers paid $281 million for the stadium that opened in 2001.

The team said a preview of what the expansion might look like will occur Saturday, as temporary stands were built for Saturday's NHL Winter Classic hockey game. More than 67,000 fans are expected for the game between the Penguins and the Washington Capitals.

The temporary stands in the stadium's south plaza will remain in place for any playoff games that the Steelers host.

If the Steelers beat the Cleveland Browns on Sunday, they are guaranteed at least one playoff game.

The Steelers said they wanted to alert the authority to the expansion plans because of the effect the additional fans at football games and other events would have on parking.

The authority, which oversees development of the land between Heinz Field and PNC Park, agreed to spend $20,000 to study parking on the North Shore.

Images and text copyright 2010 by Trib Total Media, Inc.
Reproduction or reuse prohibit
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:04 AM   #2
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 3447
Default Re: Steelers consider adding 4,000 seats to Heinz Field

First, it's between 2,500 and 4,000 seats so what's the big deal?
Second, if I look at the number of empty seats during home games, I wonder why we need more seats. Can't we improve the system and sell the empty seats to people in standby outside the stadium, like for a flight?
There must be a way to know what seat hasn't been checked-in for a game, no?
Third, if I was serious about expanding the capacity, I'd look at the North End cause that's where more seats could be added, while improving the overall comfort of the spectators.
plenewken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:30 AM   #3
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792

Quote:
Originally Posted by plenewken View Post
First, it's between 2,500 and 4,000 seats so what's the big deal?
Second, if I look at the number of empty seats during home games, I wonder why we need more seats. Can't we improve the system and sell the empty seats to people in standby outside the stadium, like for a flight?
There must be a way to know what seat hasn't been checked-in for a game, no?
Third, if I was serious about expanding the capacity, I'd look at the North End cause that's where more seats could be added, while improving the overall comfort of the spectators.
They can't do this. People always show up late due to traffic, weather, parking, etc. Heinz is always sold out, you can't sell the same seat twice just because someone is late. I was at the game this week and the announced attendance was 61,700, meaning more than 3k people were a no show.

The North end is the closed end and it would take a lot of work to put more seats in the corners. The South end makes more sense.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 01:05 PM   #4
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerchad View Post
They can't do this. People always show up late due to traffic, weather, parking, etc. Heinz is always sold out, you can't sell the same seat twice just because someone is late. I was at the game this week and the announced attendance was 61,700, meaning more than 3k people were a no show.

The North end is the closed end and it would take a lot of work to put more seats in the corners. The South end makes more sense.
The South end makes more sense if they don't want to spend much, for sure, but a max of 4,000 additional seats is not going to make a big difference.
I'd like to see HF's capacity expanded by at least 10,000 seats. That'd be great. HF is one of the smallest stadiums in the NFL (26th) but the Steelers have one of the largest and most loyal fan base. I don't get it.

Last edited by plenewken; 12-28-2010 at 02:05 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:34 AM   #5
WeegiesWarriors
Banned

Member Number: 13183

Quote:
The South end makes more sense if they don't want to spend much, for sure, but a max of 4,000 additional seats is not going to make a big difference.
I'd like to see HF's capacity expanded by at least 10,000 seats. That'd be great. HF is one of the smallest stadiums in the NFL (26th) but the Steelers have one of the largest and most loyal fan base. I don't get it.
Speak for yourself. I've been on the waiting list since 98. If they are sold as season tickets then I might finally have a chance at a couple PSL's.
WeegiesWarriors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 06:53 AM   #6
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

i never understood why teams with large fan bases like the steelers didnt build 100,000 seat stadiums like some of the european and south american soccer stadiums. i understand the problems with not selling out during rebuilding years but more then not the games would always be sold out
Old 12-29-2010, 07:23 AM   #7
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
i never understood why teams with large fan bases like the steelers didnt build 100,000 seat stadiums like some of the european and south american soccer stadiums. i understand the problems with not selling out during rebuilding years but more then not the games would always be sold out
Maracana in Rio de Janeiro was the largest soccer stadium in the world with 200,000 seats. The largest official attendance in 1950 was 199,854 paying spectators.

You just have to look at some College Football stadiums, PennState for example. How can they have 105,000 seats when the Steelers have 40,000 less? State College doesn't have a population of more than 50,000, including the students, yet it's sold out every home game.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:43 AM   #8
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792

Quote:
Maracana in Rio de Janeiro was the largest soccer stadium in the world with 200,000 seats. The largest official attendance in 1950 was 199,854 paying spectators.

You just have to look at some College Football stadiums, PennState for example. How can they have 105,000 seats when the Steelers have 40,000 less? State College doesn't have a population of more than 50,000, including the students, yet it's sold out every home game.
Penn St draws the entire state and even regionally into Maryland. You have very few Steeler fans in Philly, but most of them are PSU fans.
70k seems about the right number for Pittsburgh. Parking and traffic need to be considered as well.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:05 AM   #9
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

one of the problems with existing designs is that stadiums with upwards of 100K seats are WAY less nice and even butt ugly.
Design and character go into the process as well.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:15 AM   #10
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Yes, parking and traffic can be an issue but hopefully, when the North Shore connector is completed, some people will use it instead of driving and parking all the way to the stadium.
10,000 more seats to bring the total capacity around 75,000 would be great. It pisses me off that we have the smallest stadium in the AFC North and one of the crappiest field of the entire NFL and it pisses me off even more to know that my taxes paid for it.

As for design and character, don't get me started. HF looks cheap and feels cheap. I could care less about looking at the City skyline when I'm at the stadium. Close the damn South end. More seats, less wind, less cold. These are all great pluses.
I miss 3 Rivers, seriously.