Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-01-2011, 01:35 PM   #11
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206
Default Re: Jared Veldheer: The OT Who Should Have Been the Steelers’ 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
next year when someone out bids the steelers for lamarr woodley , you guys will be glad they took worilds.
THAT...my friend...is EXACTLY what is going to happen. Even though i feel we've missed the boat the last few years on drafting good O-Linemen, i like the Worilds pick...i think he's going to be a good one.
On the Woodley front, we will easily be outbid and although i think we'll thrown in an offer, i don't think we'll pursue that much. We're paying Troy, Ben and Harrison armored car money i don't think we can add Woodley to that trio.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:55 PM   #12
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497
Thanked 1,026 Times in 412 Posts

I expect Woodley to come back. They'll probably franchise him and see what happens the year after.
SH-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:08 PM   #13
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH-Rock View Post
I expect Woodley to come back. They'll probably franchise him and see what happens the year after.
THIS^

and we will still have bad tackles.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:56 PM   #14
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

I don't think its about taking Woirlds over Valdheer or this guy over that guy: its the fact that such a well run organization, especially when it comes to drafting has ignored their biggest achilles heel each year when they have a franchise QB!!!! Ben will lose years off his career. I'm aware he hangs onto the ball too long and runs around a lot BUT he also get demolished immediately quite a bit.

Its is truly mind boggling how blatant it has become, that we just over look the OLine every draft. I'm just venting, I have absolutely no idea what to do to move forward except to say that we are in a bad spot with the OG/OT positions on this team. Gotta think they'll address it this year even though I don't see anything changing with the FO.
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 03:24 PM   #15
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,276 Times in 2,880 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinfrench76 View Post
I don't think its about taking Woirlds over Valdheer or this guy over that guy: its the fact that such a well run organization, especially when it comes to drafting has ignored their biggest achilles heel each year when they have a franchise QB!!!! Ben will lose years off his career. I'm aware he hangs onto the ball too long and runs around a lot BUT he also get demolished immediately quite a bit.

Its is truly mind boggling how blatant it has become, that we just over look the OLine every draft. I'm just venting, I have absolutely no idea what to do to move forward except to say that we are in a bad spot with the OG/OT positions on this team. Gotta think they'll address it this year even though I don't see anything changing with the FO.
Ummm .. the Steelers drafted Pouncey in the first round this year

In 2009 the Steelers had needs on the OL and DL; they drafted Hood in the first round in part because four (4) OT and 2 centers had been drafted by the time the Steelers picked at #32 - maybe the Steelers should have traded up to the Bengals pick that year and selected Andre Smith

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009

When you reach to fill a need it can blow up (see, e.g. - Jermaine Stephens in 1996)

You cannot plug every hole in a league dedicated to seeking parity , especially when you are the second most successful team in the league over the past decade and usually draft at the bottom of the first round

I agree the OL is a mess but overall believe Colbert has done OK
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 03:52 PM   #16
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,527 Times in 1,532 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
And next year or even this year after Ben gets sacked for the umpteenth time, Mendy is downed for a loss in the backfield, and we still can't score from the red zone, I 'll remember that we don't have good tackles.
well you gotta pick your poison ... the defense has been the straw that stirs the steelers drink for decades . they put high priority in maintaining linebackers that fit the system. the difference between a quality 3-4 D and a not so good one ( see sanfran ) is having good OLBers that can pressure the qb.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:08 PM   #17
dunkuntou
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 4780

You know hindsight is always 20/20. I have a draft blog and have written for publications on the draft in the past but calling some of this picks obvious mishaps is careless.

Many teams liked Bruce Davis (hence why he is still in the NFL) and he had a very productive college career. Taking him was definitely worth the gamble.

In 2001, most people thought Casey Hampton was a second round talent. Colbert took him in Round 1.

In 2002, most people thought Larry Foote was too slow to play in the NFL. Colbert took him in Round 4. Also, that year Colbert took Brett Keisel with pick 242. 19 picks from the bottom of the draft. Not to mention James Harrison was an undrafted free agent that year.

In 2003, he traded up to get Troy Polamalu, who also didn't have the most glowing scouting report. In Round 4 he took Ike Taylor. If he took Taylor in Round 2 instead of Jackson would everyone be happy?

I can do this for every year in the draft. The reason this team is good every year is because of the way they draft so don't forget it.

As far as Veldheer goes. Yes, he is a nice prospect and yes no one thought he would be anything more than a backup this year but you already have him annointed as a franchise left tackle. As of right now he is no better than Jonathan Scott. Lets wait and see where he is in 4 years.
dunkuntou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:48 AM   #18
pittguy578
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 15975

I think the linebacker "greatness" on the Steelers is produced by the system and not necessarily by the players themselves. Everyone in the draft is going to be nearly the same in terms of physical abilities. It's sort of like the running back situation in Denver during the nineties. The o-line was so good the Broncos could put my grandma in and get 1500 yards a season. It's not the same with an O lineman,. Either they have the ability to block the best athletes on the other side of the ball or they don't.
pittguy578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:02 AM   #19
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkuntou View Post
You know hindsight is always 20/20. I have a draft blog and have written for publications on the draft in the past but calling some of this picks obvious mishaps is careless.

Many teams liked Bruce Davis (hence why he is still in the NFL) and he had a very productive college career. Taking him was definitely worth the gamble.

In 2001, most people thought Casey Hampton was a second round talent. Colbert took him in Round 1.

In 2002, most people thought Larry Foote was too slow to play in the NFL. Colbert took him in Round 4. Also, that year Colbert took Brett Keisel with pick 242. 19 picks from the bottom of the draft. Not to mention James Harrison was an undrafted free agent that year.

In 2003, he traded up to get Troy Polamalu, who also didn't have the most glowing scouting report. In Round 4 he took Ike Taylor. If he took Taylor in Round 2 instead of Jackson would everyone be happy?

I can do this for every year in the draft. The reason this team is good every year is because of the way they draft so don't forget it.

As far as Veldheer goes. Yes, he is a nice prospect and yes no one thought he would be anything more than a backup this year but you already have him annointed as a franchise left tackle. As of right now he is no better than Jonathan Scott. Lets wait and see where he is in 4 years.
Veldheer isnt in the same catagory as Scott. he is a much better player and will only get better. Scott will never even be a good player
Old 01-02-2011, 08:31 AM   #20
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

This is all good and fine and we have drafted some pretty good other players, but the fact remains that the Steelers have largely ignored the OL for the most part while other teams have stacked themselves up. It shows painfully when our QB is scrambling for his life (and the game) on nearly every play while other plenty of other QB's have the luxury of standing back there for a ridiculous amount of time.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote