Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 01-10-2011, 06:13 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default It's Steelers-Ravens Saturday in Round 3

It's Steelers-Ravens Saturday in Round 3
Steelers know what to expect in their divisional playoff game -- a tough, physical battle vs. Ravens
Monday, January 10, 2011
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11010/1116874-66.stm

The Steelers defense watched tape of the Kansas City Chiefs offense Sunday morning, just to familiarize themselves with the Chiefs in case they would be coming to Heinz Field Saturday for an AFC divisional playoff game.

They didn't have to do that with the Baltimore Ravens. They already are familiar with their division opponent.

"We know what that is," inside linebacker James Farrior said, referring to the Ravens.

For the second time in three years, the AFC North Division rivals will meet for the third time in the same season after the Ravens beat the Chiefs, 30-7, Sunday in a wild-card playoff game at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City, Mo.

When they met in the postseason in 2008, the Steelers defeated the Ravens, 24-13, in the AFC championship at Heinz Field -- a game that sent them to Super Bowl XLIII and an unprecedented sixth Vince Lombardi Trophy. This time, it will be for the right to advance to the conference championship -- one step shy of the Super Bowl.

The Steelers have never lost a playoff game to the Ravens, also beating them in a 2001 divisional playoff game, 27-10, at Heinz Field. What's more, they are 8-1 in their past nine wild-card or divisional playoff games at home, including 4-1 at Heinz Field.

"They run the ball and they [have] a good defense -- that's a good formula to have, especially in the playoffs," said Farrior, leader of a defense that ranked No. 1 against the rush and No. 2 overall in the NFL. "That's why our games are so close, we feel we do the same thing."

Indeed, five of the past six regular-season games between the Steelers and Ravens have been decided by three points, including both this season. The other was decided by four.

The Steelers split their season series with the Ravens, losing Oct. 3, 17-14, at Heinz Field when Joe Flacco threw an 18-yard touchdown pass to T.J. Houshmandzadeh with 36 seconds remaining.

They won the Dec. 5 rematch, 13-10, at M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore when Troy Polamalu stripped the ball from Flacco to set up Isaac Redman's 9-yard catch-and-run from Ben Roethlisberger for the winning touchdown with 2:51 remaining. That game gave the Steelers control of the AFC North and eventually the No. 2 seed in the AFC playoffs, even though both teams finished the regular season with 12-4 records.

"It's just ultimate confusion when we play -- they're trying to confuse us and we're trying to confuse them," said Roethlisberger, who did not throw an interception in his final 158 attempts of the regular season. "Their defense is all over the place. Guys are here, guys are there, all of a sudden this guy is over here and 20 guys are blitzing.

"That's the biggest thing with Baltimore. Then you add the physical stuff. I don't mind that ... I can take hits. It's tough."

The Ravens have had good success with road playoff games, posting a 3-1 record since Flacco became the quarterback in 2008. His only defeat was in the 2008 AFC title game when the Steelers sacked him three times and had three interceptions.

Flacco passed for 265 yards and the Ravens rushed 40 times for 142 yards Sunday against the Chiefs.
Bettis up for Hall

Former running back Jerome Bettis was among the 17 finalists named Sunday for induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2011. Bettis, who is eligible for the first time, joins former Steelers center Dermontti Dawson as one of the finalists.

This is the third consecutive year Dawson, a six-time All-Pro, has been a finalist.
Practice tips

After a two-day break, the Steelers held a one-hour practice Sunday. The players are off today and will resume practice Tuesday.

Running back Mewelde Moore (knee) returned to practice after sitting out last week and should play against the Ravens. Moore was injured in the season finale in Cleveland.

Rookie outside linebacker Jason Worilds (knee), who also was injured against the Browns, worked lightly but did not participate in team drills. His status is unknown.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11010...#ixzz1AdMIDAKE
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:58 AM   #2
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,309 Times in 584 Posts
Default Re: It's Steelers-Ravens Saturday in Round 3

The Steelers at home against the Ravens in a divisional playoff game.

Would it really be any fun at all if it wasn't that way?

As far as watching tape of the Kansas City offense goes, "Where's Waldo?" comes to mind. So if LeBeau or BA is looking for some kind of edge -- good luck with that! I figure the only "trend" they could find would be that KC gets the ball, then counts to three and gives it back to Baltimore.

Seems simple enough.

That was the first time in memory that I actually turned off a playoff game in the third quarter to watch something else.
FanSince72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:49 AM   #3
Third Rail
Team Captain

Member Number: 16177

I keep seeing all of these articles about how "this is what the fans want" and how excited everyone is for this game.

I don't know, I personally wanted to avoid this match-up.

It's not because I don't think the Steelers can win. I think they absolutely can, and will.

My problem is that I'm so SICK of having to watch the Ravens. I hate them and I hate their purple-clad, arrogant, degenerate fans so much that I wish I never had to endure another game against them. But of course, like a boil on the ass of the Steelers that won't go away, we have to play them. In the playoffs. AGAIN.

And so, again, it's likely that we will incur injuries, because Baltimore can't play Pittsburgh without trying to take some of our guys out (though they can always avoid being penalized for it!). And I'm sure that we'll get some phantom PI call that will give the Ravens a first down on the 1 yard line so they can keep the score close (I have seen this happen in at least half the games I've watched the Ratbirds play).

So in that case, the hell with it. The hell with the close games, the injuries on our side, and the "proof" that these two clubs are evenly matched. I'm sick of it.

I want Ben to go all 2007 on their asses and throw 5 TDs in the first half. And then throw another 5 in the second half. I want Troy to intercept Flacco 6 times and turn every pick into a pick 6. I want Maurkice Pouncey to clock Haloti Ngata in the face and break his f***ing nose, along with his jaw for good measure, I want Mendenhall to break Ray Lewis' shoulder. i want Hines Ward to jack up Terrell Suggs AND Ed Reed on the same play. I want Heath Miller to give Jameel McClain a concussion. And I want Ray Rice to get held to negative 12 total yards.

To hell with being "better" than that. The Ravens are the dirtiest piece of shit team in the league, and it's about time they had their due. Maybe Tomlin could even get away with punching John Harbaugh when no one is looking.

Steelers 208
Ravens 3
Third Rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:54 AM   #4
grward
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 7527

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Rail View Post
I keep seeing all of these articles about how "this is what the fans want" and how excited everyone is for this game.

I don't know, I personally wanted to avoid this match-up.

It's not because I don't think the Steelers can win. I think they absolutely can, and will.

My problem is that I'm so SICK of having to watch the Ravens. I hate them and I hate their purple-clad, arrogant, degenerate fans so much that I wish I never had to endure another game against them. But of course, like a boil on the ass of the Steelers that won't go away, we have to play them. In the playoffs. AGAIN.

And so, again, it's likely that we will incur injuries, because Baltimore can't play Pittsburgh without trying to take some of our guys out (though they can always avoid being penalized for it!). And I'm sure that we'll get some phantom PI call that will give the Ravens a first down on the 1 yard line so they can keep the score close (I have seen this happen in at least half the games I've watched the Ratbirds play).

So in that case, the hell with it. The hell with the close games, the injuries on our side, and the "proof" that these two clubs are evenly matched. I'm sick of it.

I want Ben to go all 2007 on their asses and throw 5 TDs in the first half. And then throw another 5 in the second half. I want Troy to intercept Flacco 6 times and turn every pick into a pick 6. I want Maurkice Pouncey to clock Haloti Ngata in the face and break his f***ing nose, along with jaw for good measure, I want Mendenhall to break Ray Lewis' shoulder. i want Hines Ward to jack up Terrell Suggs AND Ed Reed on the same play. I want Heath Miller to give Jameel McClain a concussion. And I want Ray Rice to get held to negative 12 total yards.

To hell with being "better" than that. The Ravens are the dirtiest piece of shit team in the league, and it's about time they had their due. Maybe Tomlin could even get away with punching John Harbaugh when no one is looking.

Steelers 144
Ravens 3
YEAH! What he said!!
grward is offline   Reply With Quote