Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 01-09-2011, 07:47 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default A Ravens-Steelers trilogy is 'poetic justice'

A Ravens-Steelers trilogy is 'poetic justice'
By James Walker
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/print?id=35505

KANSAS CITY, Mo.�-- Nothing against the AFC West champion Kansas City Chiefs, but the only team that got a rise out of the Baltimore Ravens on Sunday was the AFC North champion Pittsburgh Steelers.

Moments after Baltimore crushed and humiliated the Chiefs 30-7 at Arrowhead Stadium, you had the sense the Ravens were well prepared to field questions about their most-hated rival. Baltimore knew ahead of time that a wild-card win would set up another classic�trilogy between the Ravens and Steelers, which will be the second time it has happened in the past three seasons.

"Here we go again," Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis said with a smile on his face. "I told you guys earlier in the year, man, that it's something [special] about the journey."

"It seems like poetic justice," Ravens coach John Harbaugh said.

As Harbaugh alluded, it's only fitting that these rivals settle their differences in the playoffs with both of their seasons on the line. There has been a lot of debate all season about which division team is truly better. The teams split two regular-season meetings and each finished 12-4. Pittsburgh won the�tiebreaker and a coveted bye because it had a better�division record.

But�Saturday at Heinz Field there will be no excuses. The top division team will advance to the AFC title game and�a shot at Super Bowl XLV.

"This is the NFL at its best," Ravens Pro Bowl defensive end Terrell Suggs said. "This is what the world wants to see. They want to see Baltimore and Pittsburgh."

On Sunday, Baltimore continued its stellar run the past three seasons in the wild-card round. According to ESPN Stats & Information, Harbaugh is�the second NFL coach to win a playoff game in each of his first three seasons, joining former Dallas Cowboys coach Barry Switzer. The Ravens own convincing wild-card wins over the Miami Dolphins, New England Patriots and Kansas City in three consecutive seasons.

Baltimore also improved to 7-3 all time on the road in the playoffs and is arguably this year's most dangerous wild-card team, especially when the defense is playing at a Super Bowl level. The Ravens' defense the past two weeks forced 10 turnovers and allowed only 14 points. Kansas City had no answers for Baltimore after committing three interceptions, fumbling twice and allowing three sacks of quarterback Matt Cassel, who was battered and confused. He passed for only 70 yards, one of the worst�passing performances in playoff history.

The Ravens said they were inspired by Pro Bowl safety Ed Reed, who played with a heavy heart Sunday. His younger brother,�Brian,�was reported missing this weekend and police called off the search in Louisiana.Brian Reed apparently jumped into the Mississippi River after being confronted by a deputy sheriff� in response to a stolen car report.

"What the Reed family is going through is a big part of this victory. That's what will be remembered by our players," Harbaugh said. "The Reed family is part of the Raven family, and the Raven family is part of the Reed family. That's the way it works with our team, our organization."

Reed had four tackles, including a big hit on Chiefs receiver Dexter McCluster, and received a game ball afterward.

"Who is a better teammate than Ed Reed?" Suggs said. "He didn't have to play today, but he played. And it was the simple fact that we wanted to give him three hours of peace to just go out there and have fun with your football brothers, and we did that."

The Ravens must be at their best again next week. The Steelers are well rested and franchise quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is 8-2 in his career against Baltimore, including six straight victories. Baltimore pulled off a rare win at Heinz Field in October, but that was during the final game of Roethlisberger's four-game suspension.

But there could be good karma for the AFC North. The last time these�teams met in the playoffs was in the 2008 AFC Championship Game, and Pittsburgh advanced to win Super Bowl XLIII over the Arizona Cardinals.

The winner of this year's rivalry game will face the winner of the New York Jets and Patriots from the AFC East. Both divisional-round games involve teams that split the first two meetings in the regular season.

"It's Armageddon for all four teams, and there can only be one winner at the end," Suggs said. "What better teams than these four?"

Without a doubt, next weekend is going to be brutal in the AFC.

Perhaps the biggest question is, will any of these teams have anything left for the AFC Championship Game?

(Note If you want to read about some real American heroes check out the bottom of this thread. http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=65872 - mesa)
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:20 PM   #2
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296
Default Re: A Ravens-Steelers trilogy is 'poetic justice'

[YOUTUBE]Z1TxiVhrkZA[/YOUTUBE]
Old 01-09-2011, 08:37 PM   #3
Steel_Bus_24
Team Owner

Member Number: 2886

anyone else see Suggs after the game looking at the camera as if he were starring down the Steelers????

go ahead, try that sh**.....the Steelers will be ready

Also Known as SteelerSpartan
Steel_Bus_24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:07 AM   #4
davidtrout
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 17600

I get so fired up reading stuff like that. This game can't come soon enough for me. I've been a Steeler fan all my life (I turn 40 this year) and my family has been Steeler fans spanning 5 generations now. That's a long time and I remember great rivalries but this one is my favorite. As deep as my hatred for the rats runs, I'm grateful for them. Nothing is more fun right now than a Steelers/Ravens game. With the season on the line to boot, PERFECT!
Old 01-10-2011, 09:19 AM   #5
fer522
ACERERO

Archery 2000 Champion! Archery Champion! Galaxians Champion! Apple Shooter Champion!
Member Number: 16190
Thanked 2,051 Times in 928 Posts
My Mood: Cool

is it saturday yet?

fer522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:27 AM   #6
AndyWitmyer
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 14802

I've said it before and I'll say it again... The Ravens are the only team I absolutely LOVE to hate!!! It's not like the Patriots or Cowboys, whom I just despise and take no particular joy in doing so. The Ravens and The Steelers dynamic is arguably the most complicated rivalry in the league - the intensity and their style of play ensures a violent, well fought game by teams that are very much obsessed with one another. I always find it sort of funny in a paradoxical sort of way when you see these guys talking trash in one sentence, while in the next making sure to let everyone know how much pride they take in their mutual disrespect.

And you get the sense that their rivalry is what it is precisely because of the great lengths they will go in making sure that everyone knows how much they love hating each other. And, yeah, that's also why I love it! AFC North has been consistently looked upon one of the toughest divisions - and it's usually not because of the lowly Browns, or the bungling Bengals. Here we are in January, and the Kings of the AFC North are preparing to march once more onto the field of battle for their place a top the conference - and with any luck - a shot at the ultimate prize. Poetic justice indeed.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:51 AM   #7
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,237 Times in 551 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWitmyer View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again... The Ravens are the only team I absolutely LOVE to hate!!! It's not like the Patriots or Cowboys, whom I just despise and take no particular joy in doing so. The Ravens and The Steelers dynamic is arguably the most complicated rivalry in the league - the intensity and their style of play ensures a violent, well fought game by teams that are very much obsessed with one another. I always find it sort of funny in a paradoxical sort of way when you see these guys talking trash in one sentence, while in the next making sure to let everyone know how much pride they take in their mutual disrespect.

And you get the sense that their rivalry is what it is precisely because of the great lengths they will go in making sure that everyone knows how much they love hating each other. And, yeah, that's also why I love it! AFC North has been consistently looked upon one of the toughest divisions - and it's usually not because of the lowly Browns, or the bungling Bengals. Here we are in January, and the Kings of the AFC North are preparing to march once more onto the field of battle for their place a top the conference - and with any luck - a shot at the ultimate prize. Poetic justice indeed.

I'm with you 100% on this!

Preparing for the Patsies or any of the other teams is just about X' and O's but preparing for Baltimore is all about psyche. These two teams know each other like the backs of their hands so there's no real "game plan". It's all about who is going to be the first one to blink.

If there was ever a "Divisional Superbowl", a Steelers/Ravens game is it!

Can't wait 'til Saturday!
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:26 AM   #8
1st&Goal
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8802

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWitmyer View Post

Nicely said. At least the Ratbirds play manly football, unlike the Fagliots who cheat, whine and play bullshit pansy ass Bellicheat, quick out, use the ref as a shield, please don't touch Tom Gaydy, cheap shot poosie football.

I hate the Ratbirds, but God forbid, if they win on Saturday, I will support them the rest of the way. I can respect the Ratbirds if for no other reason than they play like and want to be like, the Steelers. I can never, will never, respect the Fagliots no matter how many records, wins or Super Bowls they win, because the are a Fag organization and they play Fag football.
1st&Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:00 AM   #9
grward
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 7527

Isn't it only Poetic Justice for Hardball and his Ratbirds IF they win??? What the hell is he going to say if/when they lose ... "oh, it's Poetic Justice". What a douchbag.
grward is offline   Reply With Quote