Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 01-10-2011, 04:49 PM   #1
Heeeeeeeath
Water Boy

Member Number: 17172
Default Asking for help

I need someone who is EXTREMELY knowledgeable about the X's and O's, the intricacies of the game to answer some questions I have. Any takers?
Heeeeeeeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 04:54 PM   #2
fer522
ACERERO

Archery 2000 Champion! Archery Champion! Galaxians Champion! Apple Shooter Champion!
Member Number: 16190
Thanked 2,050 Times in 928 Posts
My Mood: Cool
Default Re: Asking for help

bring it on they call me coach Arians for a reason
fer522 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:12 PM   #3
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,362 Times in 566 Posts

Give it a shot, I've played all my life and look to be in the coaching ranks soon.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:13 PM   #4
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911

[YOUTUBE]Rplwk3p85jg[/YOUTUBE]
Old 01-10-2011, 05:16 PM   #5
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

I graduated from Madden 101 school....does that count?
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:16 PM   #6
davidtrout
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 17600

You're kidding right? This is an internet forum. In other words we are all extremely knowledgeable and experts on, well, everything.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:24 PM   #7
Heeeeeeeath
Water Boy

Member Number: 17172

I need to know the feasibility of switching from Arians' such.... wide open shotgun 4 WR offense into I-Formation 3 WR set as a base offense. Here's why I think it would be better:

-3 WR pretty much forces the other team to play Nickel, correct? If I'm right, then adding a fullback back into the offense on a regular basis would allow the Steelers' running game to gain yards more consistently, especially short yard situations. a Defense running the nickel package can't really stack the box, can they?

- For the sake of the OL (and as a result, Ben), we need to stop this Shotgun 4 WR crap all the time. It's a waste of Mendenhall's talent, gasses the OL(our OL is built to maul people in the run game, we have the wrong personnel to drop back to pass 35 times a game, agreed?) and puts Ben in some vulnerable positions. There's virtually no threat of a running game out of the Shotgun, so these pass rushers are teeing off on our guys. I figure from a set like I Form. 3 WR(I think it's more commonly called the Three-Wide I), it's still slightly pass-heavy, but still very much offers the threat of the run.

Anyone think I have any idea what I'm talking about and/or if this is something the Steelers could actually do?

The reason I ask is because I know this is what makes the Pats so good. I don't think individually they have the best players on defense, but they are so well coached, and so well prepared to face almost any offense it seems. They rely so much on scouting/watching film of other teams and getting their players ready to combat it. Could we pull something like I said and totally throw them off, being that they have no film on it?

Matt Flynn (a solid backup, but a backup nonetheless) had a pretty good game against them... why? They had no film on him, thus, they didn't know how to prepare for him.

I hope I'm making sense and that someone can answer my questions.
Heeeeeeeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:28 PM   #8
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,376 Times in 2,716 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heeeeeeeath View Post
I need someone who is EXTREMELY knowledgeable about the X's and O's, the intricacies of the game to answer some questions I have. Any takers?
what's the matter bruce, you run out of ideas?

i keed lol :P
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:41 PM   #9
davidtrout
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 17600

Couple of problems.

1. We are 5 days away from our first playoff game and about to face (hopefully) 2 of the best teams in the NFL. Now is not the time to be implementing new schemes and experimenting with formations and plays we haven't run all year. If this were week one maybe they could start working toward something like this, but it's way too late for this year.

2. Personnel. Who's the FB? Redman? Legursky? Neither is prepared to read and react to blocking assignments from the FB spot and that's not something a player can do with consistency in a week or two.

Also, lining up in the I w/ 3 wide does not necessarily force a defense into the nickel.

I don't think your ideas are bad. Just a little unrealistic right now.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:10 PM   #10
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,362 Times in 566 Posts

Quote:
3 WR pretty much forces the other team to play Nickel, correct? If I'm right, then adding a fullback back into the offense on a regular basis would allow the Steelers' running game to gain yards more consistently, especially short yard situations. a Defense running the nickel package can't really stack the box, can they?
That's not necessarily true. In most case's in football, the offense dictates what they do in what the defense shows them, not the other way around. All players have a set standard and a set responsibility. Once the offense comes out in their packages, the defensive personal will adjust to that and will lock in on their self keys. It is then the offense's call to attack and determine what the defense is doing.

A Nickel is built more of off speed and has 5 defensive backs in the game to counter-act a way to what the offense might attack them but if a team comes out in a fullback set and shows running play the defensive backs will line up closer to the line of scrimmage as well as shifting lineman and the set linebackers to a shade/strong-side since a Nickel defense isn't well equipped to stop the run but defensive players stay home and work inside out in the interior. Football sometimes is more simple than people think.

Quote:
For the sake of the OL (and as a result, Ben), we need to stop this Shotgun 4 WR crap all the time. It's a waste of Mendenhall's talent, gasses the OL(our OL is built to maul people in the run game, we have the wrong personnel to drop back to pass 35 times a game, agreed?) and puts Ben in some vulnerable positions. There's virtually no threat of a running game out of the Shotgun, so these pass rushers are teeing off on our guys. I figure from a set like I Form. 3 WR(I think it's more commonly called the Three-Wide I), it's still slightly pass-heavy, but still very much offers the threat of the run
What the Steelers do so well is in-cooperate a very well and balanced offensive attack. They do it all. Bunch formations, spread, double tight end sets, empty, the whole shebang. It's very tough for a team to dictate on what the Steelers are going to do because they have it all. They have an explosive back in the backfield who can keep the backers at the line of scrimmage and we have the speed on the outside's to take advantage of adjusting to what the defense is showing.

We have a quarterback who can play a tough style of ball to the point of allowing him to take control of things such as 3WR sets and keeping the safeties and backers at bay and playing tight because of his elusiveness out of the pocket. The Shotgun formation is a straight passing personal but that doesn't necessarily mean you can't run the ball out of it. Peyton Manning and the Colts offense use that play action draw to a TEE because they run the ball well in the shotgun formation (only because they go down-field SO well that the defense is on it's heels to the point of looking for draw is a secondary thing and that's a good way to dictate a defense) so being able to use play action is monumental since it gives the backers a split second to stay in concrete, which is all the offense needs.

The game of football is built off of disguising and never ending possibilities with formations and how the offense attacks an adjusting defense but when it's all said and done, when the ball is snapped there's only so many things occurring.

N.E may be well coached and do many good things in their sub-packages, but so do we.