Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 06-14-2005, 02:21 PM   #1
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 328
Default Ravens switch to 46 defense

Quote:
OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- No one is happier to be a part of the Baltimore Ravens' new 46 defense than middle linebacker Ray Lewis, who can't wait to again experience the freedom of hunting down running backs without the hassle of shaking off bothersome offensive linemen.

The scheme was originally devised by Buddy Ryan for the 1986 Chicago Bears, who won a Super Bowl behind the standout play of middle linebacker Mike Singletary. Ryan is the father of Ravens first-year defensive coordinator Rex Ryan, who has installed the high-pressure alignment in part to allow Lewis to attack the football without having to take on the kind of isolation blocks that at times limited his effectiveness last season.

"That's like telling your premier running back that you're going to make sure he's not going to be touched in a football game,'' Lewis said Monday after the opening session of a four-day mandatory minicamp. "To come into camp and have my defensive coordinator tell me I'm not going to be touched, I'm like a little kid all over again.''
I don't like the sound of that......The 46 will make it really tough to run against them, especially between the Tackles. We are really gonna need someone to stretch the field against them, and play-action is a great way to attack the 46. I also think this could hurt what Ed Reed was able to do for them. I dont know, but I dont like the change. Hopefully it takes them a few years to perfect it.
Old 06-14-2005, 04:19 PM   #2
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370
Default Re: Ravens switch to 46 defense

There is a reason the 46 defense is rarely (if at all) used.It became easy to defeat.Play action pass,stretch the field somewhat and it's useless.

The only reason they are using it is because Gay-Ray was bitching about taking on blockers.He proved he's not as good as people say when he started bitching about not being able to take on blockers.Now he can rome sideline-to-sideline and jump on piles more often and get recorded with the tackle.

I cant wait to see Kreider and The Bus run him the fuck over.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 10:11 PM   #3
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70
Default Re: Ravens switch to 46 defense

Well they tried the 3-4, then the 4-3, and still cant match our defense, now its the 46.. whats next, the 69 defense !!!
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote