Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-13-2006, 04:47 PM   #21
Midnightwriter1
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2182
Default Re: Parker trying to get new deal

concerning Willie, his success will be determined by our O Line. We have seen what happens to our RB and most in NFL when you line isnt giving you any holes at all to get your motor running. Ben will be Ben, I think a few games this year he will take over when we get down, but i dont see us changing our run patten a whole lot EXCEPT..... we may come out throwing in games since it worked so well, but Cowher is who he is and it is what it is, he loves that hard hitting smash mouth football and i cant see him changing that unless we end up being behind in alot of games. I know everyone thinks that we dont need another RB, but i think we will be taking one in first two rounds because Staley is GOING to be running alot. After much thought on this, Parker does go in spurts and there will be days like last year that Parker just couldnt go anywhere.. Thats when Staley will take over and some games Parker and Staley have even have even split caries (hence this is why we need another RB) Haynes is nice to have as 3rd down back and all but he is not answer. Plus no reason not to for the future of this team. So if our RB situation doesnt work out, then i will agree that ben could HAVE to throw alot more this year which i dont know if that will be a good thing. I kinda like Ben throwing when we want him to throw, not because he has to. We seem to be better as a team when that happens. Look for us to go OL or RB first pick pending on who is there.
Midnightwriter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 04:59 PM   #22
pecantanman
Water Boy

Location: Orginally from Arizona, now in Delaware, looking forward to moving back to Arizona
Member Number: 2257

I agree also, if you give him the incentives deal. I think Willie will perform better. He is small like Zeroue, and hopefully can take more and stay healthy. I hope he breaks off some long runs like this past year!! However, I do think we need to go after a big back for future grooming. We all know Duce is injury prone, and may not remain healthy for us all year, as seen in the past 2 years.
pecantanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 05:47 PM   #23
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
i think a commitment to willie would be a round about way of showing commitment to bens passing capabilities. as opposed to drafting a rb in the 1st round which would show me the steelers were committed to 60-40 run/ pass ratio. a this ratio, though it has worked, needs to be leveled of a bit as ben continues to grow and develop.
I dont think that the Steelers ned to move too far away from the 60/40 ratio as it is pretty succesful.

The big problem in the past has been a lack of options in the passing game, or an unwillingness by the coaches to let the QB throw the ball in key situations - now that Ben has developed so well I think that the Steelers coaches can rely on him to produce the goods when needed.

I dont think that the Steleers will go RB in the 1st round either - I think D-line may be the best option and probably the best value.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 06:07 PM   #24
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,088 Times in 2,618 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past
I dont think that the Steelers ned to move too far away from the 60/40 ratio as it is pretty succesful.

The big problem in the past has been a lack of options in the passing game, or an unwillingness by the coaches to let the QB throw the ball in key situations - now that Ben has developed so well I think that the Steelers coaches can rely on him to produce the goods when needed.

I dont think that the Steleers will go RB in the 1st round either - I think D-line may be the best option and probably the best value.

NM
agreed. by leveled off a bit im talking about loosening the reigns on ben and continuing to throw to set up the run. hes not yet "there" and is still a young developing qb with room for improvement and alot of upside. i like 57-43 or maybe even 55-45 run to throw ratio. usually though when ben is allowed to pass alot in the 1st quarter they build up sizeable leads and shut ben down, especially against the poorer teams. this will always impact his numbers. this can be seen in cowhers recore when leading by 10 pts. something like 100 wins, 1 loss and tie. a wr in the 1st round tells me that theyre trying to move in a 50-50 direction which is why i dont think we need a wr in the 1st. more passing to duce, willie and miller could easilly supplant randle els numbers, and depth at wr could be found later.

i like the idea of staying true and going with the d. i would love coming away with a d marcus ware, l tatupu, or s. merriman type player in next years draft, even if we have to sit on him for a year like with troy.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 06:58 PM   #25
dbish33
Water Boy

Member Number: 2259

Willie is making just under $500,000 and I highly doubt the Steelers will give him anything more than an incentive laden contract, considering they just re-upped with Haynes and Duce is still here. If Duce is healthy, and Haynes continues to be as reliable as he has been, I dont foresee Willie being here after next year. They will draft a RB now probably in the second round and groom him for the role. Now if Willie has a huge year, the Steelers might try to resign him and give him his money but I foresee Duce playing a larger role this season, if healthy, (fingers crossed) especially catching balls out of the backfield.
dbish33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 07:09 PM   #26
Midnightwriter1
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2182

i dont think so, i think they will try to sign Willie now. Of course not a huge contract but i think they like what he can do for us and that is despite what we do in draft as far as RB situation goes. Willie has a good chance to be a Staley type player ( hopefully minus the injuries ) They are going to bulk him up some, and even if we did draft a diff RB, Willie will still be used in our offense for that home run threat he brings and a speed guy to the outside. Is Staley who will be gone within 2 years not Parker.

We are paying about 3 million for our 3 running backs right now minus any performance bonuses they might incurr after the season. We will be smart and bump him up to 1.5 million a year at the most for 3 -4 years with some incentives and add a RB in draft and picking at 32 means we wont be paying out the ass for one in any round we took one in. Duce will be gone as soon as we get our next back in place but Willie isnt going anywhere. They love the kid.
Midnightwriter1 is offline   Reply With Quote