Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-24-2011, 08:36 AM   #31
ETL
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14528
Default Re: CNNSI Article-Ben got an A?

Just saying that national media like Mike Greenberg called Ben the "best player on the field" yesterday.

I agree as previously stated. If the goal in the game is to rack up passing yards (a la Peyton manning) then Ben did poorly but it is not surprising that Ben is 10-2 in playoffs and Peyton is .500 and sitting at home.
ETL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:55 AM   #32
sharkweek
Head Coach

Member Number: 14205

Listening to Mike & Mike and then First Take 1st and 10 both had nothing but praise for Ben and how he had terrible looking stats but an amazingly well played game. Mike Mike Greenberg (the Jets fan) was convinced Ben was the best player in the game despite his stat line. Skip gave him A, the other guy gave him an A+. The talking heads are starting to realize that even though he doesn't put up gaudy numbers, Ben can make plays to help his team win that no other player can.

The media is finally starting to recognize Ben as an elite QB in his own unique way. Heck, I'm starting to see and hear other QBs being compared to Ben. Some article talked about some of the plays Sanchez made in the second half as "Roethlisberger-esque"

This certainly wasn't his best game, but you have to consider several factors on why it was still a very good performance:

A - the vast majority of his 10 completions were very important, and his last two were as clutch as can be in that they were third down conversions rolling out of the pocket ala vintage Roethlisberger on the game clinching drive.

B - he had several absolute key rushes/scrambles for first downs and of course a TD, including a 3rd and 12.

C - several of his throws and scrambles were classic Ben extending and improvising the play and making something positive happen such as his lateral to Mendenhall where the refs picked up flag thrown for illegal man down field because it was a lateral after a broken pass play - seriously, you can't get much more improvisationally clutch than that.

D - his first interception should have been caught by Mendy but instead Mendy tips it into the waiting hands of a defender (I still contend a there should be an asterisked INT stat category for tipped balls like that)
sharkweek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:09 AM   #33
ETL
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14528

The importance of first downs that Ben got cannot be understated. That is why I think Ben played so well yesterday. These first downs are equivalent to avoiding turnovers. They give our defense more rest and keeps the ball out of the Jets offense.

Y'all know how good Aaron smith is but national media can't understand it because he doesn't have the sack numbers. But he blows up running plays like no other lineman. His team mates universally call him the best 3-4 DL.

I know that in that locker room, those Steeler players would not trade Ben for Brady or Mannings stats. They know that Ben handed off when needed and made the clutch plays when needed.

Again, i believe this was his best game this year.
ETL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:34 AM   #34
cubanstogie
Head Coach

Member Number: 3082

Yesterday was vintage Ben. The guy can have a bad day throwing then all of a sudden when we need to move the chains he comes through. He has a short memory. You take the good with the bad. Jets D played much better than the Ravens did. They are tough to throw on, thank god we ran successfully yesterday. The second interception was horrible especially considering it was only second down on their 35, if it were 3rd I could care less. Remember the Jets were 13-5, and beat some good teams including us 5 weeks ago. A win is a win. One more is all we ask.
cubanstogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:38 AM   #35
cubanstogie
Head Coach

Member Number: 3082

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETL View Post
The importance of first downs that Ben got cannot be understated. That is why I think Ben played so well yesterday. These first downs are equivalent to avoiding turnovers. They give our defense more rest and keeps the ball out of the Jets offense.

Y'all know how good Aaron smith is but national media can't understand it because he doesn't have the sack numbers. But he blows up running plays like no other lineman. His team mates universally call him the best 3-4 DL.

I know that in that locker room, those Steeler players would not trade Ben for Brady or Mannings stats. They know that Ben handed off when needed and made the clutch plays when needed.

Again, i believe this was his best game this year.
Hard to argue your point. He did have some bad throws and decisions but also had some excellent runs and clutch tough throws at the end. Those were not wide open receivers and Ben had to scramble in order for them to get open. Really the second pic and the miss throw to a wide open Miller were his biggest errors IMO. Ben is a tough winner, perfect for the Steelers. Side note, Sanchez may be for real I was impressed with the way they came back. Not happy but impressed
cubanstogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:45 AM   #36
HAWK
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12888

I predicted a Steelers-Packers SB. And for the last few weeks I wasn't sure if we could beat them. After seeing the Pack struggle against the Bears mediocre defense (by playoff standards) I now think we can take them. Not to mention that we have the SB experience and not one of their players has ever been close to a SB.

I think it will be close but we'll pull it out in the end. And much of it will have to do with this worthless QB we have under center.

(That was sarcasm in case anyone missed it.)
Old 01-24-2011, 10:57 AM   #37
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 3447

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWK View Post
I predicted a Steelers-Packers SB. And for the last few weeks I wasn't sure if we could beat them. After seeing the Pack struggle against the Bears mediocre defense (by playoff standards) I now think we can take them. Not to mention that we have the SB experience and not one of their players has ever been close to a SB.

I think it will be close but we'll pull it out in the end. And much of it will have to do with this worthless QB we have under center.

(That was sarcasm in case anyone missed it.)
The Packers are a dangerous team. We barely beat them last year in Heinz Field. What worries me is Rodgers' mobility. We'll play indoor on carpet which should favor him over Ben. The unknown is his nerves in key games and Ben's mental toughness and experience at this level is definitely a big plus for us.

Advantage Ben & Steelers but it'll be a close game.
plenewken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:07 AM   #38
LambertIsGod58
Team President

Member Number: 410

Trust me when I say I've been there.....feeling that way about Ben. Putting his off the field issues aside, he finds a way to win games. Bottom line. He's 28 and on his way to his 3rd Super Bowl. He's doing something right.

"Life is a journey and you never arrive" Chuck Noll 1969-91
LambertIsGod58 is offline   Reply With Quote