Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 08:41 PM   #391
Shea
Head Coach

Member Number: 5066
Default Re: New Official Pens Tidbits Thread

It's a shame that this happened to Sid. He was on pace for a MVP season.

Who knows when he will be back but worse yet I worry for when he gets the next concussion. I just hope that this isn't something that cuts his career short. Look at Savard. Everytime he goes down now he has to be helped off the ice.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:00 PM   #392
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,393 Times in 1,121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea View Post
It's a shame that this happened to Sid. He was on pace for a MVP season.

Who knows when he will be back but worse yet I worry for when he gets the next concussion. I just hope that this isn't something that cuts his career short. Look at Savard. Everytime he goes down now he has to be helped off the ice.
Yeah...I had a feeling it was more serious than they were letting on. Hopefully he'll be back after the All Star break and back to scoring!

Not going to say anything conclusive yet, but Geno has very little chance of playing in the All Star game as well. So doubt he'll be back before then.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
Old 01-26-2011, 12:25 PM   #393
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Bylsma says Malkin won't play in NHL All-Star Game
By Josh Yohe, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, January 26, 2011

• The Penguins revealed a poorly kept secret Tuesday when coach Dan Bylsma announced that Evgeni Malkin will not play in Sunday's NHL All-Star Game in Raleigh, N.C. Malkin missed his third consecutive game when he was unable to play against the Islanders. The center has been dealing with a knee injury and a sinus infection. Bylsma said that the sinus infection is the biggest reason Malkin is out of the lineup, perhaps a sign that the knee injury isn't serious. "The symptoms from the sinus infection and pressure in his head are preventing him from going on the ice right now," Bylsma said.

• Given that Malkin and Sidney Crosby (lingering concussion symptoms) are both dealing with nontraditional injuries, judging when they will return is difficult. The Penguins will have a week off during the all-star break and return to action next Tuesday against the Rangers at Madison Square Garden. Whether Malkin or Crosby will be back on the ice by then is a mystery. "Evgeni is not healthy enough to return to the ice right now," Bylsma said. "He needs to get healthy before we can move forward with that. Is that during the break, or is that after the break? We don't know that. We hope it's soon, maybe within the next week or so he can think about getting back on the ice again when he's healthy and the pressure in his head subsides."

• Left wing Matt Cooke missed the morning skate for personal reasons but played against the Islanders.

• Right wing Eric Godard continued to practice with a protective mask covering his face.

• Defenseman Deryk Engelland was a healthy scratch last night.

Read more: Bylsma says Malkin won't play in NHL All-Star Game - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...#ixzz1CAQOTjro

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
Old 01-26-2011, 12:26 PM   #394
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Fleury shines again as Penguins shut out Islanders
By Josh Yohe, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The Penguins have adopted a conservative, low-scoring style with Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin out of the lineup.

If Marc-Andre Fleury keeps playing like this, any style will do.

The Flower continued to bloom Tuesday against the Islanders, his early-season struggles a thing of the past. Fleury stopped 29 shots while earning his 18th career shutout, and Craig Adams scored the game's only goal in a 1-0 victory over the Islanders.

The Penguins don't play again until next Tuesday because of the all-star break. Fleury's recent surge figures to stop Crosby and Malkin from rushing back into the lineup, given that the Penguins appear capable of beating anyone because of their goaltender's current play.

"He's been good all year," said defenseman Brooks Orpik, who suggested that Fleury's early slump received more attention than it deserved.

"Those first 10 games, we had a lot of new guys in the lineup. We made mistakes in front of him. He was kind of hung out to dry."

Although the Penguins played a sound defensive game, Fleury was forced to make a couple of spectacular saves. Late in the first period, he brought the crowd to its feet with a kick save against Islanders' forward Frans Nielsen.

Fleury had stopped a shot from a bad angle, but the rebound squirted to a wide open Nielsen. But Fleury was there to make an athletic save.

"We did make some mistakes," coach Dan Bylsma said. "And he was there every time. He deserved the shutout going into the All-Star Game."

Although the easy storyline is that Fleury is enhancing his game out of necessity because Crosby and Malkin are absent, the goaltender suggests otherwise. And the fact is, since early November, his play has been stellar.

"I don't try to play better because we're lacking some scoring (right now)," Fleury said. "I just try to do my job like I usually do."

At the moment, it could be argued that there isn't a better goalie in the NHL. Fleury has held the opposition to two or fewer goals in 22 of the team's past 30 games and has allowed more than three goals only once since October.

"He's as consistent right now as he's been in his whole career," Orpik said.

Given that the Penguins are adopting a more conservative style, goals have been hard to muster. Max Talbot and Arron Asham were both particularly effective offensively but were unable to break the ice, as Islanders' goalie Kevin Poulin matched Fleury through two periods.

Finally, at the 8:35 mark of the third, Adams gave the Penguins the only goal they needed. Ben Lovejoy fired a shot from the point, Asham registered a shot on the rebound, and ultimately, the puck found Adams' stick. He made no mistake, even if he had no game plan.

"It was on my stick, and I just whacked at it," Adams said.

The Penguins are 31-15-4 (66 points) and in the No. 4 spot in the Eastern Conference, trailing Philadelphia by five points for the Atlantic Division lead.

With Crosby and Malkin out for an undetermined time, Fleury's impressive play must continue. The Penguins are confident in their goalie.

"He's been our backbone," Bylsma said.

Read more: Fleury shines again as Penguins shut out Islanders - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...#ixzz1CAQcYY1a

Old 01-28-2011, 08:10 PM   #395
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Crosby cleared for light workouts
Friday, January 28, 2011
By Shelly Anderson, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

RALEIGH, N.C. -- The normally quiet NHL All-Star break has produced some good news for Penguins fans. Center and captain Sidney Crosby, who has been out since Jan. 5 because of a concussion, has been cleared for light workouts.

Crosby was held out of any physical activity while he had concussion symptoms, which included headaches. He will have to remain symptom-free for his workouts to accelerate or for him to join his teammates at practice.

The Penguins don't resume practice until Monday and don't play again until Tuesday against the Rangers in New York. It's not known how long it might take Crosby to get back into game shape even if there are no setbacks.

The progress Crosby has made came too late for him to participate in the All-Star Game being held here Sunday. On Monday, he withdrew from the weekend events.

Crosby has missed nine games. He was leading the NHL in scoring with 67 points in 41 games when he got hurt but has been overtaken by Tampa Bay's Steven Stamkos, who has 67 point in 51 games.

First published on January 28, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11028...#ixzz1CO0Tq4nU

Old 02-01-2011, 09:02 AM   #396
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Couple of little tidbits to report....

-Malkin is traveling to NY with the team. He's practicing, but won't play tonight against the Rangers

Read more here...http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...rce=rss&feed=8

-Crosby's rehab includes no workouts, and there is no timetable for his return.

Read more here...http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...rce=rss&feed=8

-New moustache boy is Michalek

More updates and reports from yesterdays practice here...http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.ht...id=DL|PIT|home

Old 02-01-2011, 08:00 PM   #397
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911

Philthadelphia trails 3-0 mid-way thru the 2nd in Tampa, who are bringing-out new uniforms for the 2011-2012 season, and were shown to the public yesterday

Old 02-01-2011, 08:21 PM   #398
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Games pretty good so far, all things considered.

Started out 2-0 Rangers. Pens eventually went up 3-2, and the Staal (who I don't think I've ever been really pissed at before tonight) took a really stupid match penalty (which carries 5 minutes of major penalty time) by punching Prust in the face with a gloved hand.

Rangers scored to tie it up on the major with about :20 left in the 2nd.

Still no Sid and Geno (obviously), Letestu got hurt in practice today and is out indefinitely, Asham got hurt early in the game and won't be back, and the Stall pulls a stupid. Shit just keeps getting worse lol.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:40 PM   #399
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Pens win in the shootout tonight, with the winning goal coming from Jefferey.

Great showing by all the guys tonight...a lot of people stepped up.

Hopefully Geno can play tomorrow, and Staal should be back in the game too...unless he gets some kind of BS suspension. Hurry back Sid, Asham and Letestu!

Old 02-02-2011, 11:46 AM   #400
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Quote:
Malkin's return to lineup could come tonight against Islanders
By Denis Gorman, FOR THE TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, February 2, 2011

NEW YORK — Lacking their two superstar centers for almost two weeks, the Penguins are close to having one return to the lineup for the stretch run.

Following the early skate at Madison Square Garden, Dan Bylsma hinted that Evgeni Malkin may dress against the Islanders tonight.

"It's not out of the question," Bylsma said when asked if Malkin could play against the Islanders. Bylsma added that he "had no timetable" for the center's return but it was "hopefully sooner rather than later."

Malkin, who has not played since a 4-1 win over Detroit on Jan. 18 because of a knee injury and sinus infection, skated with the team yesterday. He's looking forward to playing but does not feel burdened to come back.

"No pressure to play tomorrow, but (if) I feel all right tonight, then tomorrow morning skate and we'll see. Maybe," Malkin said. "We have a great team. I'm not pressured. Sid, too, we just wait (until he) feels 100 percent. When we come back to the lineup, we'll play the rest of the season and playoffs."

Malkin was adamant that it was his sinus infection keeping him from playing.

"It's my head. (It's been) sore a couple days," Malkin said. "It's new for me because I've never had (the) symptom before. My knee is 100 percent ready. It's not sore."

Malkin has 15 goals and 37 points in 42 games this season.

Letestu injured

As the Penguins prepare to get one center back, another one went down.

Mark Letestu injured his knee while taking laps around the Madison Square Garden ice surface during the early skate. He was helped off the ice and was on crutches in the training room.

None of the Penguins saw what happened. Bylsma suggested that Letestu "hit a rut" on the ice and announced he was going to return "to Pittsburgh for further evaluation."

Dustin Jeffrey was promoted to the top line, between Pascal Dupuis and Chris Kunitz, and centered the first power-play unit.

"He's a guy who has had a good seven games for us," Bylsma said of Jeffrey. "He's going to get a real opportunity, both with the players he's playing with and the ice time.

"I know he's very excited about playing and showing what he can do at this level. Hopefully it turns into a bigger opportunity for him."

Bylsma noted that the organization would not have to rush someone up from AHL Wilkes-Barre, because Eric Godard was inserted into the lineup.

Read more: Malkin's return to lineup could come tonight against Islanders - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...#ixzz1CpBP636w
Only four players were at the optional skate this morning, with Malkin and Lovejoy doing some heavy conditioning work. Tangradi was also another one of the players. Love that they have guys like him waiting in Wilkes-Barre, ready to step up.

And seriously, I thought the Pens had it bad on the injury front...the Isles already struggling defense is about as depleted (for pretty much the rest of the season) as you can get.

D Mark Eaton, hip surgery (will miss remainder of season)
RW Trent Hunter, torn left MCL (indefinitely)
G Nathan Lawson, strained MCL (early February)
D Milan Jurcina, upper-body (up to four weeks)
D Mike Mottau, hip surgery (will miss remainder of the season)
D Mark Streit, torn left labrum and rotator cuff (up to six months)
C Doug Weight, back spasms (indefinitely)

Closed Thread