Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 01-24-2011, 03:17 PM   #1
thumper
Banned

Member Number: 13415
Default I don't know big D that well....

...but for whatever it is worth, it's like one, big
confusing highway that endlessly circles and
circles with a bevy of restaurants in strip malls.

Even when I am with people who live there, they
seem to get lost and miss exists, etc. The city
seems to lack character. It's big, if being big was
the only trait that made a city. Unlike Pgh, it simply
doesn't have characteristics that jump out and
offer an identity.

Unlike other quality Super Bowl city hosts, there
doesn't seem to be one large partying area for
fans to hang out. And if there were, it sure as shit
ain't any where near the stadium, which is way out
of town in the middle of no where.

The NFL should choose the handful of cities that
really do make for great Super Bowls, as far as
fan activity and proximity, and just rotate from there.

New Orleans, Miami, etc. are the only quality SB towns.
I don't think Dallas qualifies, and certainly no cold-weather
city does, like NY, either. I think it's total BS that NY got a
Super Bowl. Who wants to hang out in NY in Feb? That
is totally retarded. The SB should always be in a climate
where fans feel like is a vacation, with sunshine and warm
weather.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:24 PM   #2
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts
Default Re: I don't know big D that well....

Caseydog has a thread for people visiting Dallas and has offered up some good suggestions of place for people to go.

Many thanks again for his help.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=67760

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:29 PM   #3
Football Chef
Water Boy

Member Number: 17919

Big D does have a lot of bars in one place downtown. Check out the Westside District which is an old warehouse district converted into many bars and resturants. I have not seen the stadium, but it is something to see. Have fun!
Football Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:38 PM   #4
caseydog
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1361

Having lived in Dallas since 1979, I can tell you that a Super Bowl in Dallas is not going to be like a Super Bowl in Miami, especially if you don't have tickets to the game.

In Miami, you can find a poolside bar, and watch the game in shorts, a t-shirt and a pair of flip-flops. Not in Dallas.

If I were coming to Dallas for the Super Bowl, I'd probably stay in Arlington, which I agree, is a big suburb full of strip malls, big box stores, cookie-cutter housing and chain restaurants.

Downtown, and surrounding neighborhoods have changed a ton since I first moved here. There are some good places to go to eat, drink and cheer on the Steelers. Is it Miami? No, but there is a downtown life these days.

Is it New Orleans? Not in the tourist attraction and nightlife respect, but it is a whole lot safer.

If you do have tickets to the game, it won't really matter what city the game is held in. You will be at the game. And, Cowboys Stadium is a pretty impressive facility.

On this thread, http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=67760, I will try to answer questions from people coming to Dallas for the game -- with or without game tickets.

However, I'm not going to blow smoke up anyone's shorts, Dallas is not a vacation paradise.

Enjoy the game, wherever you are!

CD
Old 01-24-2011, 03:39 PM   #5
caseydog
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1361

Quote:
Originally Posted by Football Chef View Post
Big D does have a lot of bars in one place downtown. Check out the Westside District which is an old warehouse district converted into many bars and resturants. I have not seen the stadium, but it is something to see. Have fun!
I cover some of the neighborhoods in this thread http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=67760
Old 01-24-2011, 03:57 PM   #6
dez09231
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 11142

I was in Dallas for the first time in 06. The freeway system loops around Dallas, Irving, Fort Worth, and pretty much everywhere else around the metropolis.

It's a maze. If you miss an exit, you will easily end up in not only the wrong place, but the wrong city even.

Bring a guide or take a cab.
dez09231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:21 PM   #7
wnyBob
Water Boy

Member Number: 17493

Quote:
Originally Posted by dez09231 View Post
I was in Dallas for the first time in 06. The freeway system loops around Dallas, Irving, Fort Worth, and pretty much everywhere else around the metropolis.

It's a maze. If you miss an exit, you will easily end up in not only the wrong place, but the wrong city even.

Bring a guide or take a cab.
I lived there for 12 years and posted on casseydog's welcome wagon thread that I'd try and give tips too if anyone wanted them

But yes, the traffic and highway system is NUTS, just nuts. And that's in normal traffic. Mon thru Fri if it's between 4 and 7 pm and you're going someplace wait, and if you're someplace and want to go back, wait. lol And a fender bender on any given highway brings it to an all stop for miles and there is at least one on any given day.

But the good news is Ft Worth isn't nearly as bad as Dallas. Oh the rush can be bad M - F but you can get around without white knuclkes on the steering wheel and you're feeling like you're pleading for your life. And if you get lost in Ft. Worth you can get out eventually. If you get lost in Dallas, see ya in the Spring. lol

But someone posted somewhere the development. which is true also. Arlington is between Dallas and Ft. Worth. But there's no distinction of ever leaving one city and entering another. Aside from the tall buildings that one would typically say makes a City in Dallas and Ft. Worth after you leave that it is just literally hundreds of sq miles of development, malls intermingled with houseing developments.
wnyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:07 PM   #8
FrancoForever
Water Boy

Member Number: 17930

The major parties and events are going to be really spread out this year. Dallas is a good distance from Fort Worth and Arlington. There are a number of events happening in the downtown Dallas area so that will be really convenient. The Playboy party is at the Aloft Hotel in Dallas which is by the Dallas Convention Center.

I have been doing a lot of research on the web and need to find some more resources. A good website is www.supersundayhq.com. Other than had, do your research.
FrancoForever is offline   Reply With Quote