Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 01-25-2011, 06:16 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Kings of the NFL!

Kings of the NFL!
Tuesday, January 25, 2011 01:00 AM
Written by Bob Smizik
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11025/1120436-87.stm

The always-popular 5-S (Several Selected Short Steelers Subjects) column:

In recent years, Iíve have taken to calling the Steelers a member of the NFL aristocracy. Thatís no longer true. The Steelers are not among the aristocracy (Dukes, Earls, Counts, etc) of the NFL. They're pure royalty.

Since coming of age in 1974 with their first Super Bowl appearance -- a win, of course -- the Steelers will have appeared in eight of the past 37 NFL championship games. That once every four or five years. Thatís sick. There are teams that have never played in the game and the Steelers are in it as often as some teams merely make the playoffs.

As for their 15 appearances in the AFC title game, thatís even sicker. Since 1974, thatís an appearance once every two or three years. Imagine that! The Steelers are in the conference title game more often than a lot of teams are in the playoffs.

I have to believe The Chief is smiling down on all of this. He never got it right -- too nice a guy -- but he set the stage for all this with his son and now his grandson. Itís good that Dan is still around to pass along some of his wisdom to Art II, but any worries that the grandson was not a chip off the old block have been destroyed.

I've been defending Bruce Arians here for a long time and that probably leaves some people to believe Iím infatuated with him as an offensive coordinator. Thatís not so.

I defend Arians against what I feel are unfair charges of poor play-calling. I have long maintained that most of us simply donít have enough information to evaluate play calls. Too many people work on the theory if it doesnít work, it was a bad play call. Thatís not necessarily so.

Iím not suggesting he doesnít make bad calls. All play-callers do.

But as far as Arians' overall body of work, Iím not too proud to say I simply donít know. I have no idea what he is doing, what Mike Tomlin is doing, what is the other offensive coaches are doing, what the players are doing.

The fact the team was middle of the pack in offensive statistics doesnít necessarily mean heís doing a poor job. They played all season with a makeshift offensive line and most of the season with a guy who couldnít start for Buffalo manning the all-important left tackle position.

Anyone who thinks they can fully evaluate Ariansí work, must be sitting in on the teamís offensive meetings.

The draft-day trade made by the Steelers for cornerback Bryant McFadden wasnít all that exciting. After all, how good could McFadden be if the Cardinals were giving up on him after one year, following a big-money free-agent signing, and were getting only a fifth-round draft choice in return?

Good enough to start for a team going to the Super Bowl.

The trade has figured large in the Steelers' success. McFadden is not a Pro Bowl-caliber player. But he solidified the secondary, which was pretty awful for much of 2009. This isn't the 1970s and a team can't have all-star quality players at almost every position like the Steelers once did. Things are different in the salary-cap era.

With McFadden playing an important role, the Steelers defense gave up the fewest points in the NFL. Arizona, the team that didnít want or need McFadden, was 30th in points allowed.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:00 AM   #2
Matt91
Water Boy

Member Number: 17785
Default Re: Kings of the NFL!

Always thought BMac was the right guy, we missed him a lot last season, another player that, for me, is fantastic, is Ryan Clark, great Free Safety, always been happy about his coverage, and great hitter, nonetheless
Matt91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:30 AM   #3
wutchy
Banned

Member Number: 17595

The only problem i have with ariens is that he doesn't understand that Bens strength is rolling out and buying extra time. He should have designed roll outs and waggles for Ben to execute, and the O-linemen would better be able to block for it if its by design, instead of improvised.

B MAC's game is physical corner, they can get beat, but the throw has to be damn near perfect. All corners get beat at times. I like B MAC's game. Corner is the hardest job in sports.
wutchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:39 AM   #4
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,095 Times in 569 Posts

I do not like these Lebron type labels when the final game isnt finished. Steelers need to win one more game this year to be the Kings. The past is the past, they win on Feb 6th, then you can call them Kings. 7 Super Bowl's sound much better then 6.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote