Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 01-25-2011, 02:06 PM   #1
ManhattanJet
Water Boy

Member Number: 17948
Default 9/11 comments to Jets fans uncalled for

I'm a Jets fan who attended the game in Pittsburgh and just wanted to make some comments about my experience at the game. I'm not on here to cause trouble or anything.

I understand that going on the road in the playoffs is risky and that some comments should be expected. I've been to many Jets away games and have never experienced a more hostile crowd in my life. I wanted to have a good experience, so in addition to box seats, I purchased 45 yard line lowers on the Jets side. I wore a Jets hat, along with 3 friends who had the same attire. Even at Jets games I've never heard the amount of vulgar things that people said in front of women and children and surely have never been physically threatened as much as I was. After halftime we went up to the box as it was clear that we would be assaulted if we stayed.

Walking to our seats my friend was shoved from behind, just for wearing a Jets hat. I can take the comments, but it crosses the line when it gets physical.

Had that been the only bad thing to happen I wouldn't be here on this board. What was the most troubling is the insults about 9/11. A friend of mine was in a bar bathroom the night before the game and on the wall he saw a picture of a plane crashing into the WTC with "Let's take the Jets down like they took down the towers" underneath it.

Walking into the stadium there were also shouts of, "There's a reason 9/11 happened in NY."

I understand that this doesn't represent the majority of Steelers fans and I'm not going to say that an opposing fan in NY won't get their share of insults. Hearing things like this permanently put a bad taste in my mouth about Pittsburgh and I will make it a point to never return and spend money here again. Jets fans came here and infused some much needed cash flow into this city, and to be hear jokes about a terrorist attack is completely sickening.

I was under the impression that we're all Americans, regardless of what colors we wear to an NFL football game. Comments like those hit home when a lot of us lost friends and neighbors that day and even though it didn't have an impact on Pittsburgh I thought people would have some sympathy.

Anyway, good game and good luck in SB!
ManhattanJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:11 PM   #2
El Nino
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17899
Default Re: 9/11 comments to Jets fans uncalled for

i'm surprised you never expected any hostility during an afc championship game.

what did you expect a welcome wagon?
El Nino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:18 PM   #3
Aussie Steeler
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 17896

.....ok.

Did you really not know that there are some nasty people in this great big world? Not everything is rainbows and butterflies. I don't know what you expect from this thread. You're begging an apology from the wrong people.
Aussie Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:19 PM   #4
finesward
Team Captain

Member Number: 14448

Your from NYC and a little shoving frightens you? The same NYC where muggings are about as common as blowing your nose when you have a cold?

I would take a guess that if a PGH fan of middle eastern descent attended a game in new jersey he would be called a terrorist and much worse things because of 9/11. Goes both ways, don't let the door hit your upturned nose on the way out of pittsburgh...
finesward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:20 PM   #5
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850

Americans aren't the most pleasent people, it doesn't matter what team they root for.

"To win a game, first you have to not lose the game" - John Madden
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:20 PM   #6
UF-Steeler
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 12845

Hate to be a cynical bastard, but welcome to the real world. There are a lot of people out there who say nonsensical and hurtful things. It looks bad on them, but to generalize it to a population of a whole city during a pretty heated football game is also ignorant.

If you weren't trying to start drama, why come here and post something like this on a Pittsburgh Steelers board? Do we need to make a public service announcement? lol
UF-Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:21 PM   #7
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManhattanJet View Post
I'm a Jets fan who attended the game in Pittsburgh and just wanted to make some comments about my experience at the game. I'm not on here to cause trouble or anything.

I understand that going on the road in the playoffs is risky and that some comments should be expected. I've been to many Jets away games and have never experienced a more hostile crowd in my life. I wanted to have a good experience, so in addition to box seats, I purchased 45 yard line lowers on the Jets side. I wore a Jets hat, along with 3 friends who had the same attire. Even at Jets games I've never heard the amount of vulgar things that people said in front of women and children and surely have never been physically threatened as much as I was. After halftime we went up to the box as it was clear that we would be assaulted if we stayed.

Walking to our seats my friend was shoved from behind, just for wearing a Jets hat. I can take the comments, but it crosses the line when it gets physical.

Had that been the only bad thing to happen I wouldn't be here on this board. What was the most troubling is the insults about 9/11. A friend of mine was in a bar bathroom the night before the game and on the wall he saw a picture of a plane crashing into the WTC with "Let's take the Jets down like they took down the towers" underneath it.

Walking into the stadium there were also shouts of, "There's a reason 9/11 happened in NY."

I understand that this doesn't represent the majority of Steelers fans and I'm not going to say that an opposing fan in NY won't get their share of insults. Hearing things like this permanently put a bad taste in my mouth about Pittsburgh and I will make it a point to never return and spend money here again. Jets fans came here and infused some much needed cash flow into this city, and to be hear jokes about a terrorist attack is completely sickening.

I was under the impression that we're all Americans, regardless of what colors we wear to an NFL football game. Comments like those hit home when a lot of us lost friends and neighbors that day and even though it didn't have an impact on Pittsburgh I thought people would have some sympathy.

Anyway, good game and good luck in SB!
I agree with ya on the 911 shit....thats just not called for!. I bet those involved with that comment never had anything that horrible happen to them in life....If they did they'd be more mature person.

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:21 PM   #8
WickedSteel
Banned

Member Number: 17099

While the 9/11 jokes are uncalled for and inappropriate and the physical confrontation is over the line, I would be willing to bet that this is the norm for opposing fans coming on the road. I don't know what you would expect with a large group of drunk numbskulls when they see someone in opposing team colors. I wore an Indians jersey to PNC Park one time and I got ripped up one side and down the other but I expected it.

Pittsburghers are generally very friendly and helpful. I'm sure that if you weren't at a stadium full of overly drunk loudmouths you would have seen that.
WickedSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:22 PM   #9
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

"Had that been the only bad thing to happen I wouldn't be here on this board. What was the most troubling is the insults about 9/11. A friend of mine was in a bar bathroom the night before the game and on the wall he saw a picture of a plane crashing into the WTC with "Let's take the Jets down like they took down the towers" underneath it."

In this day an age, of cell phones and cameras...is there a photo of this?
Old 01-25-2011, 02:23 PM   #10
ManhattanJet
Water Boy

Member Number: 17948

Not sure why I even bothered posting this here. Just wanted to make you aware, not looking for anyone to say sorry.
ManhattanJet is offline   Reply With Quote