Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-25-2011, 02:25 PM   #11
thumper
Banned

Member Number: 13415
Default Re: 9/11 comments to Jets fans uncalled for

Well, for one thing, it was an AFCC game. In Pgh. Showing up there
sporting your gear is like taking food off the table of Pgh-ers. No, not
an exaggeration; that's how most Steeler fans feel. Now, I know you
are thinking "but I am spending $ in your city, so I am helping you."
No Steeler fans looks at it like that. I was at the Pgh-Indy AFCC game,
and, let's just say the Colt fans found hostility they didn't expect. Steeler
football is a part of Pgh fans lives. That is no exaggeration. So when you
show up at such a huge game sporting opp. gear, you have to be prepared
for hostility. Not saying it's right or wrong - just that it's reality.

As far as Pgh fan being just too coarse - it is true. Once I moved to a nicer
region of the country and saw visiting Steeler fans head down south for games,
I did notice that they were just too rude. You can readily see a difference between
those Steeler fans who moved away and live down here vs. the Steeler fans
who are only visiting; the visiting fans are over-the-top rude. It comes with
living in the rust belt/western PA. I guess I was like that too until I got out of there,
and realized life can by more fun and less angry than you realize when you live
in WPA.

As far as 9/11 references, of course that is over the top and not cool. But if I were
you I would take your own advice: never visit there again. It is better that way. Now
you know.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:25 PM   #12
steelerschik
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 16103

While the 911 comments are uncalled for and sickening at best, so was the treatment of Steelers fans (namely women) at the last Jets game in NY, sexually assaulting females, bullying them into taking their shirts off. You don't ever have to come back to Pittsburgh, but let me tell you, New York is the scum of the earth and I will NEVER step foot in that city ever again. Total garbage people for a total garbage city. Worst experience of my life.
steelerschik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:26 PM   #13
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

I call bullshit

why would anyone believe this dumbass jerkoff

You lost - get over it

go cry with Fat Rex

Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:27 PM   #14
ManhattanJet
Water Boy

Member Number: 17948

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 6 Rings View Post
"Had that been the only bad thing to happen I wouldn't be here on this board. What was the most troubling is the insults about 9/11. A friend of mine was in a bar bathroom the night before the game and on the wall he saw a picture of a plane crashing into the WTC with "Let's take the Jets down like they took down the towers" underneath it."

In this day an age, of cell phones and cameras...is there a photo of this?
Not sure that's something I'd want to take a picture of. Why would I bother making something like that up??

Like I said, not everyone I encountered was awful. Just wanted to make a note that I was much worse than any other away place I've been. Not trying to get people to say sorry, just was wondering if this is common here. Never heard 9/11 jokes at any other stadiums so wasn't sure why this was the case here.
ManhattanJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:28 PM   #15
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts

Uh yeah...sorry if you had a bad experience, but I find it really hard to believe that this is the most hostile crowd you've ever experienced. Maybe you've just never been to KC, Oakland or Philly. I don't know.

If anyone really said that to you, then that sucks...but drunk people say stupid things. Yes, even New Yorkers. It's also possible that the ones saying those things weren't from Pittsburgh, or even PA. 9/11 may not have affected us the way it did you guys...but with Flight 93 going down not far from here, I find it hard to imagine that any (sober) Pittsburgher would make light of it.

Anyway, it sounds like you have an extremely small sample of experiences on which to judge our city. If you don't ever want to come back, that's fine...but I bet I could find people who've had just as bad experiences in NY (if not worse). So it goes both ways.

My end opinion of the post though...it sounds like you're looking for sympathy because of the acts of a few drunks. I don't really see the end point of it though.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:28 PM   #16
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManhattanJet View Post
I'm a Jets fan who attended the game in Pittsburgh and just wanted to make some comments about my experience at the game. I'm not on here to cause trouble or anything.

I understand that going on the road in the playoffs is risky and that some comments should be expected. I've been to many Jets away games and have never experienced a more hostile crowd in my life. I wanted to have a good experience, so in addition to box seats, I purchased 45 yard line lowers on the Jets side. I wore a Jets hat, along with 3 friends who had the same attire. Even at Jets games I've never heard the amount of vulgar things that people said in front of women and children and surely have never been physically threatened as much as I was. After halftime we went up to the box as it was clear that we would be assaulted if we stayed.

Walking to our seats my friend was shoved from behind, just for wearing a Jets hat. I can take the comments, but it crosses the line when it gets physical.

Had that been the only bad thing to happen I wouldn't be here on this board. What was the most troubling is the insults about 9/11. A friend of mine was in a bar bathroom the night before the game and on the wall he saw a picture of a plane crashing into the WTC with "Let's take the Jets down like they took down the towers" underneath it.

Walking into the stadium there were also shouts of, "There's a reason 9/11 happened in NY."

I understand that this doesn't represent the majority of Steelers fans and I'm not going to say that an opposing fan in NY won't get their share of insults. Hearing things like this permanently put a bad taste in my mouth about Pittsburgh and I will make it a point to never return and spend money here again. Jets fans came here and infused some much needed cash flow into this city, and to be hear jokes about a terrorist attack is completely sickening.

I was under the impression that we're all Americans, regardless of what colors we wear to an NFL football game. Comments like those hit home when a lot of us lost friends and neighbors that day and even though it didn't have an impact on Pittsburgh I thought people would have some sympathy.

Anyway, good game and good luck in SB!
sorry about your experience.
I had a pair of Jets fans in front of me and 3 behind me and down a few seats. There was no problems in our immediate area and hardly even any joking. I gave the guy behind me a little bit of a hard time (good natured of course) when he tried to tell me there were 15k Jets fans in the building. I told him they must be dressed as Steeler fans then because I couldn't see them or hear them.

I had 2 friends with me and we were taking turns snapping photos from the bridge with the stadium in the background. A Jets fan offered to take one of all 3 of us and we in turn did the same for his group so they could all be in the photo together. I can say, I'm honestly surprised you had this issue. I've been to quite a few NFL stadiums as well and Pittsburgh is not generally too rowdy. I know it was big game and a night game which may have contributed, but I've never seen any serious problems unless an opposing fan was looking for trouble.

Again, sorry you had this problem
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:28 PM   #17
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManhattanJet View Post
I'm a Jets fan who attended the game in Pittsburgh and just wanted to make some comments about my experience at the game. I'm not on here to cause trouble or anything.

I understand that going on the road in the playoffs is risky and that some comments should be expected. I've been to many Jets away games and have never experienced a more hostile crowd in my life. I wanted to have a good experience, so in addition to box seats, I purchased 45 yard line lowers on the Jets side.

You expect us to believe you bought box seats and lower level seats at the 45 yard line?! : You take us for idiots?

First off unless you're the CEO of a Fortune 500 company that aint happening, and if you are, why didn't you get your bodyguards to go beat the piss out of whoever was bothering you?

I wore a Jets hat, along with 3 friends who had the same attire. Even at Jets games I've never heard the amount of vulgar things that people said in front of women and children and surely have never been physically threatened as much as I was. After halftime we went up to the box as it was clear that we would be assaulted if we stayed.

Walking to our seats my friend was shoved from behind, just for wearing a Jets hat. I can take the comments, but it crosses the line when it gets physical.

Had that been the only bad thing to happen I wouldn't be here on this board. What was the most troubling is the insults about 9/11. A friend of mine was in a bar bathroom the night before the game and on the wall he saw a picture of a plane crashing into the WTC with "Let's take the Jets down like they took down the towers" underneath it.

So the entire city of Pittsburgh bears the responsability of one idiot?

Walking into the stadium there were also shouts of, "There's a reason 9/11 happened in NY."

I understand that this doesn't represent the majority of Steelers fans and I'm not going to say that an opposing fan in NY won't get their share of insults. Hearing things like this permanently put a bad taste in my mouth about Pittsburgh and I will make it a point to never return and spend money here again. Jets fans came here and infused some much needed cash flow into this city, and to be hear jokes about a terrorist attack is completely sickening.

Please, we don't really care if you come back or not.

I was under the impression that we're all Americans, regardless of what colors we wear to an NFL football game. Comments like those hit home when a lot of us lost friends and neighbors that day and even though it didn't have an impact on Pittsburgh I thought people would have some sympathy.

Anyway, good game and good luck in SB!
I'm calling BS on this entire thread. Maybe you actually went to the game, maybe you didn't? But regardless I've been to football games at Heinz, at Philly, at the Meadowlands, both for Giants and Jets games, at Baltimore, both for Colts and Ravens games, and several other cities and stadiums, and I've seen good and bad at all places.

I have 3 bits of advice for you.

1. Confine yourself to home games.

2.Don't wear enemy colors when you do venture outside your area code .

3. Grow a pair.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:30 PM   #18
sarahpalinhater
Banned

Member Number: 17609

I've been to many NFL Stadiums people. And by far the worst was at a Oakland Raider game. Those people are just criminals. I had alot of things said to me in my steeler jersey at Cleveland :-) But mostly they are just talkers. I did not have on a Steeler Jersey when I went to a Eagles/Redskins game 3 years ago. But that place is kinda sacrey as well. By far the BEST Stadium I have ever been as it goes to another team is San Diego...Number 1 by far. They Tailgate like no other team I have seen. There is some friendly smack talk in the parking lot before a game. But when I went up there to see the last Steelers game, all the Charger fans who were cooking burgers and what not all offered us some :-) But, the 20 something times I have been to a steelers game, I have NEVER seen any other teams fans get abused with really insulting talk, or see a Steeler fan get physical with anyone. The fans in the Burgh are long time KNOWLEDGEABLE fans who appreciate knowledgeable fans from other teams. I saw alot of Brown and steeler fans getting along.

And I was even at a Patriots game in pittsburgh a while back, and even they were treated with respect. So sorry sir but I seriously doubt your story.
sarahpalinhater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:31 PM   #19
ManhattanJet
Water Boy

Member Number: 17948

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerschik View Post
While the 911 comments are uncalled for and sickening at best, so was the treatment of Steelers fans (namely women) at the last Jets game in NY, sexually assaulting females, bullying them into taking their shirts off. You don't ever have to come back to Pittsburgh, but let me tell you, New York is the scum of the earth and I will NEVER step foot in that city ever again. Total garbage people for a total garbage city. Worst experience of my life.
NY is the scum of the earth? I'd rather just laugh at that comment and not say anything offensive. No hard feelings to anyone here. Met a lot of good people, but also some not so great people.

I love how people say I made that up. Why bother making something like that up?

Anyways, good game. Good luck getting SB #7, should be a hell of a game.
ManhattanJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:32 PM   #20
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerschik View Post
Boy, that sounds a lot worse than some random asshole comments.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote