Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 04-15-2006, 10:55 AM   #11
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 328
Default Re: White and Bing to Visit Steelers Monday and Tuesday

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevestinks
No RB BB2W? I`m thinking somewhere we need a RB
They say you shoud select a runningback at some point in every draft and I think the Steelers will. I would like to see a big named runningback like White, but I'm not sure it's neccessary and I don't think this is the year to do it. I want to see Parker get his chance to be the back of the future. I beleive that we have a great backfeild in Parker, Duce, and Haynes. I see Willie starting, Duce in a role similar to Jerome's, and Haynes in there on third downs and in mop up. I think anyone they draft will be there for depth.

I would feel differently if they didn't resign Haynes for two more years. Also, I'm not very big on this years class of runningbacks. I think the postition will be a more pressing need next year and we may find ourselves in position to take a more talented player.
Old 04-15-2006, 01:51 PM   #12
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevestinks
Do we really need BING, I mean a safety for the future is nice, but we have needs today!

I think its just to keep their options open, I mean if he falls to us he would be an option and an insurance policy incase what we've got in FA and what we have left on the team now, isnt enough.

The Steelers have tapped veteran Duce Staley as Jerome Bettis' replacement on short-yardage plays and as the backup to Willie Parker, but they also would like to groom a young big back for that role. Thus, White's injury might not bother the Steelers as much as it would other NFL teams who need a runner immediately. White (6 feet, 244 pounds) averaged 6.6 yards per carry last season for the Trojans on 1,302 yards rushing, his second season as a starter, while sharing carries with Reggie Bush. He scored 24 touchdowns, a Pac-10 record, last season as a junior.

This is an intriuging option for us, especially since he wouldnt have to start right away and could take time to learn the offense and heal up. Only concern is that if this injury is something that could be around for a long time and actup over the years to come.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 02:02 PM   #13
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,099 Times in 4,593 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity
Only concern is that if this injury is something that could be around for a long time and actup over the years to come.
old man jerome had a horrible groin pull in 2001 and in true jerome fashion was able to heal and continue to contribute. lendale could sit around in duces sweatsuit for a year while everyone calles it a wasted pick. once he was healed (w. mcgahee) im sure he would prove his value. lendales size and numbers cant be taken lightly. i think hes closest to a jerome clone i have seen and jerome shared carries with r. watters and that johnson (?) dude at notre dame. there are alot of similarities between the 2 that make him a very inriguing prospect. for that reason i dont think he makes it to #32. FOR THAT SAME REASON MAKES ME WONDER HOW HIGH THE STEELERS ACTUALLY Have him rated on their board. they may just go with the highest rated player available.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 02:21 PM   #14
Midnightwriter1
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2182

exactly, but i dont think anyone would call it a wasted pick because though e has the injury, he would still be fine by this summer. Since we dont have any starting immediate needs, in reality.. any pick is going to be a good one. So that is White would be perfect because we DONT HAVE to play him immediately so his injury isnt really a concern compared possibly to some other teams. Bing would also be a good choice. Just in case Troy wants a huge contract and we for whatever reason couldnt swing it or Clark doesnt work, we would have a guy that could play both Safety positions in Bing. I can also se going for any other postion besides QB in first round ahahahahahahahah. those first two picks though, i would rather have a guy that we know can play instead of a "reach" or "project". Our first two; possibly three picks this year and next will be guys that we will prolly need starting in the upcoming years and i dont want to see us messin around with projects or reaches. Is getting oohhhhhhhhh soooo close.
Midnightwriter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 04:34 PM   #15
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

I've been reading some stuff about Bing from some left coast prognosticators who saw him play week in and week out, they aren't as high on this kid as you'd think.

I'm already a paranoid enough as it is, and I hate it when I hear all kinds of negatives about players the Steelers are looking at.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 08:00 PM   #16
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,286 Times in 650 Posts

Trade for another low 1st and see if we can get both USC guys. Get Lendale before Carolina at 27 and Bing at 32....
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 09:47 PM   #17
SteelersNation7
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 466

You dont pass on a guy like White if he's there at 32.....The perfect situtaion would be to get White at 32 and do what ever it takes to move up and take Jason Allen in the second...if we did that we'd be in great shape...Who knows than maybe we could steal a player like Skyler Green in the 3rd round.
SteelersNation7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 04:07 AM   #18
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645
Default great backfield?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB2W
They say you shoud select a runningback at some point in every draft and I think the Steelers will. I would like to see a big named runningback like White, but I'm not sure it's neccessary and I don't think this is the year to do it. I want to see Parker get his chance to be the back of the future. I beleive that we have a great backfeild in Parker, Duce, and Haynes. I see Willie starting, Duce in a role similar to Jerome's, and Haynes in there on third downs and in mop up. I think anyone they draft will be there for depth.

I would feel differently if they didn't resign Haynes for two more years. Also, I'm not very big on this years class of runningbacks. I think the postition will be a more pressing need next year and we may find ourselves in position to take a more talented player.
Preface: I'm a White blow-hard.

The last thing I want to do is disagree with a team prez but the subject of Lendale White has morphed into something other than idle discussion.

I understand great backfields at the college level. Reggie Bush and LenDale White in the same backfield should be ILLEGAL. If it weren't for the fact that NO ONE (including me) gave Pete Carroll any chance of being anything more than Larry Smith or Paul Hackett, then we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Whether or not we get White, (prognostic) we don't have a great backfield. In the last one and one-half seasons, Duce has contributed a mind-wretching 275+ YARDS - that's not 1 1/2 games but 1 1/2 SEASONS.

I love Verron but do you really think the Steelers are thinking he is moving up to No. 2...ever? They didn't even dress him for two games last season which I thought was mistake. He can make plays in a Whiz's scheme but he is a No. 3 back period.

If Willie goes down then we are ****ed!
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 04:24 AM   #19
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim
I've been reading some stuff about Bing from some left coast prognosticators who saw him play week in and week out, they aren't as high on this kid as you'd think.

I'm already a paranoid enough as it is, and I hate it when I hear all kinds of negatives about players the Steelers are looking at.

Fellow paranoid, it only sucks when you're wrong.

I watched Bing and quite frankly I don't have the zeal that I did with Polamalu. Truth be told I thought someone slipped me something when I heard the Steelers traded up to get Troy. I was a dancin' fool.

When have the Steelers traded up in the first round if ever??

But how could anyone nearly sack the QB ten yards behind the line of scrimmage and make a tackle 30 yards downfield? And that wasn't even his best play.

Take White.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote