Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2011, 07:38 PM   #21
SteelKnight
Team President
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,256
Member Number: 16119
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Reverse Racism in the NFL ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post
No, I know...and I'm not saying that anybody should just go around and say whatever they want, but I just don't like the talk of having leagues owners or the NAACP step in and handle something like racial slurs being slung around.

It's just how I feel. I also think it should be legal for you to receive an ass kicking for making racial slurs to someone's face. That would stop more people from doing it than anything else.

I disagree with you about not wanting to appear racist. I think that's worse than actually stating how you feel. The North for a long time didn't want "to appear racist", but they were worse in some of their actions and laws than the South. If you don't like someone or something, just say it. Thinking and acting one way in front of a certain group and differently in front of another just makes you a hypocritical asshole. I'd rather know where someone stands from the get go....if that makes any sense.
As far as owners etc stepping in saying how they want people to be treated on their team and the kind of image they would like to project, i see nothing wrong with it. it is a business and these players are representing their teams. Their actions could cost the teams money.

I understand what you are saying about being true to yourself but with race, sometimes keeping things manageable for people is good. Keeping a clean atmosphere is helpful. I think peer pressure has worked in a positive way overall. It is true there are things people would like to say that can't be said that should be addressed. Maybe that's what you are getting at. But overall, I don't mind people keeping their individual thoughts to themselves and keeping a clean atmosphere.

It's just like with women. If we didn't protect the atmosphere, it would be a mess. There would be guys thinking these "B's" , etc. We can't stop people from thinking that but enforcing an environment where women are comfortable that they do not have to receive such treatment takes precedent. i don't really care what these guys are "feeling". They can discuss it when they get home. Same with race.
__________________
SteelKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:49 PM   #22
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie
 
SteelCityMom's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: In the land of The Crazies
Posts: 7,687
Gender: Female
Member Number: 16666
Thanks: 2,756
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts
Default Re: Reverse Racism in the NFL ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahpalinhater View Post
Mom, then you are saying that the league should take this as seriously as if it were a White player saying " Hey Black Boy!...right ? Then why no outrage from you ? Or the nation ?
Do you think the league would step in if they called him fag boy? Nope. I don't think the league (at least Goodell) in any case. If the team wants to have some kind of policy against trash talking, then they can take care of it on their own.

Honestly...I don't get offended easily. I could care less if someone makes a sexist remark towards me. Who are they? Just some insecure asshat. Why would I get "outraged". Too many people with thin skin in this country anymore.

And yes, I realize it comes off as a bit harsh, but that's the reality of it. You can try to make rules and regulations and laws against what people say, but you'll never stop the way they think.

But I do agree with you that the double standards are bad...but I don't think there should be whining and outrage either way. Just hit the dude and get over it.
__________________
People assume that time is a strict progression of cause and effect, but actually from a non-linear non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey...stuff.


http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:54 PM   #23
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie
 
SteelCityMom's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: In the land of The Crazies
Posts: 7,687
Gender: Female
Member Number: 16666
Thanks: 2,756
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts
Default Re: Reverse Racism in the NFL ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelKnight View Post
As far as owners etc stepping in saying how they want people to be treated on their team and the kind of image they would like to project, i see nothing wrong with it. it is a business and these players are representing their teams. Their actions could cost the teams money.

I understand what you are saying about being true to yourself but with race, sometimes keeping things manageable for people is good. Keeping a clean atmosphere is helpful. I think peer pressure has worked in a positive way overall. It is true there are things people would like to say that can't be said that should be addressed. Maybe that's what you are getting at. But overall, I don't mind people keeping their individual thoughts to themselves and keeping a clean atmosphere.

It's just like with women. If we didn't protect the atmosphere, it would be a mess. There would be guys thinking these "B's" , etc. We can't stop people from thinking that but enforcing an environment where women are comfortable that they do not have to receive such treatment takes precedent. i don't really care what these guys are "feeling". They can discuss it when they get home. Same with race.
Can't argue too much with your other points...well I could, but it would all be opinion.

As to your last statement...you mean how women are portrayed in such a positive light by the hip hop and MTV community? Don't get me wrong, I like hip hop, and I don't get offended when the talk about bitches, ho's and tricks, but popular culture is definitely not enforcing a comfortable environment lol.
__________________
People assume that time is a strict progression of cause and effect, but actually from a non-linear non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey...stuff.


http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:05 PM   #24
SteelKnight
Team President
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,256
Member Number: 16119
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Reverse Racism in the NFL ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post
Can't argue too much with your other points...well I could, but it would all be opinion.

As to your last statement...you mean how women are portrayed in such a positive light by the hip hop and MTV community? Don't get me wrong, I like hip hop, and I don't get offended when the talk about bitches, ho's and tricks, but popular culture is definitely not enforcing a comfortable environment lol.
lol on the opinion thing. Mine is opinion also of course.

lol. The same is evident in the rock and heavy metal community even if not in the songs. Those artist aren't so "lovie dovie" respectful to their groupie chicks either.

What I was referring to was "work environment". I really consider the football field a work environment.
__________________
SteelKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:15 PM   #25
SteelKnight
Team President
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,256
Member Number: 16119
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Reverse Racism in the NFL ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post
Do you think the league would step in if they called him fag boy? Nope. I don't think the league (at least Goodell) in any case. If the team wants to have some kind of policy against trash talking, then they can take care of it on their own.

Honestly...I don't get offended easily. I could care less if someone makes a sexist remark towards me. Who are they? Just some insecure asshat. Why would I get "outraged". Too many people with thin skin in this country anymore.

And yes, I realize it comes off as a bit harsh, but that's the reality of it. You can try to make rules and regulations and laws against what people say, but you'll never stop the way they think.

But I do agree with you that the double standards are bad...but I don't think there should be whining and outrage either way. Just hit the dude and get over it.
LOL.

You brought up an interesting point about "fag boy". It would be more offensive if the person was really gay...lol If the person is not gay, then the player is just saying the other player is girly but if the player is gay and the player is trying to insult him because of it, it is offensive. JMO

I still think you are doing too much of a jump from actions to thoughts. Actions should be regulated in the workplace.

With respect to thoughts, once what is good is offered up, if the person agrees, it is up to that person to legislate his/her own thoughts.

Still,
__________________
SteelKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:18 PM   #26
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie
 
SteelCityMom's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: In the land of The Crazies
Posts: 7,687
Gender: Female
Member Number: 16666
Thanks: 2,756
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts
Default Re: Reverse Racism in the NFL ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelKnight View Post
lol on the opinion thing. Mine is opinion also of course.

lol. The same is evident in the rock and heavy metal community even if not in the songs. Those artist aren't so "lovie dovie" respectful to their groupie chicks either.

What I was referring to was "work environment". I really consider the football field a work environment.
Oh I know...that was more tongue in cheek. Still, I don't think telling people how to think really changes how they think. I mean, it's nice and all that there are groups that want to push this fluffy attitude in terms or sex, race, religion, sexual orientation, etc...but I just don't think they're doing that much good at all. In reality, I think racism, sexism and bigotry is just as prominent today as it was 50-60 years ago...just some people are afraid to say how they feel in certain situations. It's more veiled. But it's still there.

That's the part I don't like. People want to pretend that things are getting better and that some kind of special group has their back....but that's a fairy tale.

Like I said before, I think (most of) the laws the government has passed to make people equal are a good thing...but you'll never be able to pass a law to change peoples perceptions. And I think hiding the fact that people still think the way they do (i.e. pretending that just because you forbid someone to say something means that race and gender relations are getting better), does more harm than good. There needs to be good honest dialogue to ever make some headway. I'm not sure we'll ever see that though.

Anyway...most of that is off topic and has nothing to do with the OP's story. I do agree that if someone is going to make a huge stink over racial slurs towards blacks (in the NFL or otherwise), then the same stink should be made over white racial slurs. And honestly, the main reason we don't EVER see that kind of stink being made is because, as a race, white people have been made to feel so guilt ridden and are seen as nothing but culprits when it comes to race relations.
__________________
People assume that time is a strict progression of cause and effect, but actually from a non-linear non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey...stuff.


http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:25 PM   #27
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie
 
SteelCityMom's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: In the land of The Crazies
Posts: 7,687
Gender: Female
Member Number: 16666
Thanks: 2,756
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts
Default Re: Reverse Racism in the NFL ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelKnight View Post
LOL.

You brought up an interesting point about "fag boy". It would be more offensive if the person was really gay...lol If the person is not gay, then the player is just saying the other player is girly but if the player is gay and the player is trying to insult him because of it, it is offensive. JMO

I still think you are doing too much of a jump from actions to thoughts. Actions should be regulated in the workplace.

With respect to thoughts, once what is good is offered up, if the person agrees, it is up to that person to legislate his/her own thoughts.

Still,
No, I know.

This is just me rambling honestly lol. I know some actions should be regulated, was just sort of going off on a thought tangent. I'll stop now though.
__________________
People assume that time is a strict progression of cause and effect, but actually from a non-linear non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey...stuff.


http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:23 PM   #28
SteelKnight
Team President
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,256
Member Number: 16119
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Reverse Racism in the NFL ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post

That's the part I don't like. People want to pretend that things are getting better and that some kind of special group has their back....but that's a fairy tale.

Like I said before, I think (most of) the laws the government has passed to make people equal are a good thing...but you'll never be able to pass a law to change peoples perceptions. And I think hiding the fact that people still think the way they do (i.e. pretending that just because you forbid someone to say something means that race and gender relations are getting better), does more harm than good. There needs to be good honest dialogue to ever make some headway. I'm not sure we'll ever see that though.

Anyway...most of that is off topic and has nothing to do with the OP's story. I do agree that if someone is going to make a huge stink over racial slurs towards blacks (in the NFL or otherwise), then the same stink should be made over white racial slurs. And honestly, the main reason we don't EVER see that kind of stink being made is because, as a race, white people have been made to feel so guilt ridden and are seen as nothing but culprits when it comes to race relations.
Yeah...I know what you mean about honest dialogue. I was hoping Obama would bring that but it became hard for him to say "Look when you are well educated, well spoken, not a criminal, work hard, warm hearted, etc. you will be embraced. So focus on self accountability" when he received so much hatred ...some of it which appeared racial. It totally ruined the possible message. Had he been embraced, it would have shown something to many and he could have emphasized that message.

It'll probably take some music artists that are respected to talk to the people...lol
__________________
SteelKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts