Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 04-15-2006, 10:24 PM   #1
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419
My Mood: Bored
Default Steelers to move up in the draft? If so, when and who?

Steelers report: Inside slant
April 15, 2006
The Sports Xchange

It's likely the Steelers will move up in either the first or second round -- or at least try to -- rather than sit at the bottom of each during the draft.

Pittsburgh has 10 draft picks after picking up three compensatory picks, and while they cannot trade any of them, they can use their own picks in the third and/or fourth round to go after a need position.

A big safety, a big running back and a speed wide receiver now seem to be their priorities, at least early in the draft. They've had or will have safeties Donte Whitner of Ohio State, Darnell Bing of Southern Cal and Daniel Bullocks of Nebraska in for visits. They are looking for someone to compete at free safety, where Chris Hope started the past two years. Hope signed with Tennessee as a free agent.

The Steelers signed Ryan Clark from the Redskins as a free agent, ostensibly to replace Hope. But they would prefer someone bigger, at least someone who might take over in his second year. At 6-2, 225, Bing might fill that bill and he also might be in the range where they could either grab him at No. 32 or move up anywhere into the 20s to get him.

The problem with getting a big back is that LenDale White, Bing's USC teammate, is one of the few in this draft. The fact he has grown bigger since the end of the season and had a poor workout at USC has NFL teams backing off. The Steelers will take a closer look at him in Pittsburgh.

The group of wide receivers is not strong this year and it is further weakened by the Steelers' requirement for one -- big and fast. They're not likely to get Santonio Holmes or Chad Jackson and would not be interested in Sinorice Moss.

Copyright (C) 2006 The Sports Xchange. All Rights Reserved.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 10:35 PM   #2
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,286 Times in 650 Posts
Default Re: Steelers to move up in the draft? If so, when and who?

So many senerios of a really good draft. Looking at this, wow, if we were able to move up using our second pick and get another low 1st rounder, how bout trading with the Chiefs at 20 in the 1st, give them our 2nd and 4th. Draft Lendale at 20, and then draft Bing at 32. By doing this, you have just brought in two guys who have championship experience and know how to play in big games. And if things really went well in the draft, maybe we are able to get Martin Nance in the 3rd.

White, Bing, Nance would be three areas that would be filled that we need. I just got goosebumps....
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 10:37 PM   #3
Koopa
Living Legend

Member Number: 508

do we have money to sign two first rounders??? i don't really think there is any player worth moving up for in this years draft, maybe chad jackson, and we don't really need a running back that early so lendale ain't worth trading up for. i think we'll be fine if we stay where we are at

Last edited by Koopa; 04-15-2006 at 11:01 PM.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 10:39 PM   #4
MichiSteeler
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 959

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa
do we have money to sign two first rounders??? i don't really think there is any player worth moving up for in this years draft, maybe chad jackson but we really don't need a running back that early. i think we'll be fine if we stay where we are at
Chad Jackson is a receiver.

"The Steelers drafted guys who were bigger, stronger and faster than I, but they never found one who could take my job away from me."- Jack Lambert

Go Buckeyes and Spartans!
MichiSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 11:00 PM   #5
Koopa
Living Legend

Member Number: 508

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiSteeler
Chad Jackson is a receiver.

lol, yeah i know i was writing it and then i read and thought i should add something and just added chad jackson to it and didn't even reread what i wrote, there i edited and i think it makes more sense lol
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 02:11 AM   #6
Rotorhead
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 703
My Mood: Relaxed

From I have been reading on LenDale, he is lazy and has been living off his talent and no work ethic! I am not sure we even want him. I don't see a need to give up our 2nd and 3rd picks for another 1st rounder . . . we can not move up far enough to get anyone worth losing the 2 picks IMO. I agree with Koop that we should stay where we are at. Our only glaring need, barring injuries, is a complimentary receiver for Ward . . . and there is nothing of first year starting quality within our grasp.
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 02:57 AM   #7
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,286 Times in 650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead
From I have been reading on LenDale, he is lazy and has been living off his talent and no work ethic! I am not sure we even want him. I don't see a need to give up our 2nd and 3rd picks for another 1st rounder . . . we can not move up far enough to get anyone worth losing the 2 picks IMO. I agree with Koop that we should stay where we are at. Our only glaring need, barring injuries, is a complimentary receiver for Ward . . . and there is nothing of first year starting quality within our grasp.
Yah, I have read that there are aliens that do secret anal probes on human beings. Are you one of those people who believe ever piece of toilet paper trash thats written?

Lendale White has a torn hamstring. You cant move well when you tear a hamstring. Who ever says that he is lazy and has no work ethic has zero credability and has a distorted view of facts. If you want proof of how good Lendale White is, maybe you should go read some articles where his coach Pete Carroll talks about Lendale White and how great of a player and teammate he is instead of believing some ahole from some rag saying whatever to fill his article up for deadline....
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 04:37 AM   #8
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645
Default Three-headed monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa
do we have money to sign two first rounders??? i don't really think there is any player worth moving up for in this years draft, maybe chad jackson, and we don't really need a running back that early so lendale ain't worth trading up for. i think we'll be fine if we stay where we are at
exactly...signing bonuses must be preserved for our proven Vets. Let's mine middle round talent. Omar and Kevin and Bill have a chance to make history with this draft.

Look no futher than Harrison - we have him locked up for about $1.4 M per year for 4 years. Joey's day are numbered.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 08:53 AM   #9
Dook
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 906

Why would the Chiefs give up their 1st round draft choice to wait all the way for #64 and one at the end of the 4th?

When we traded up to get Polo it took something like our 1st, 3rd, and 4th to just move up fifteen spots.

Denver and the Jets both have 2 first round picks this year, we could get Denver's #22 or try for the Jets #29 but probably not until draft day so we can see what talent falls.

I'd only trade up if WR Holmes or Jackson were there, RB White or Williams were still available.
Old 04-16-2006, 09:11 AM   #10
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

I dont see us moving up at all. With the next to seasons having big names up for free agency, we need money in th enear future.