Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 01-31-2011, 07:23 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default View From Green Bay: Attractions won't be distractions in Dallas

View From Green Bay: Attractions won't be distractions in Dallas
Monday, January 31, 2011
By Rob Reischel, Special to the Journal Sentinel

Green Bay, Wis. -- Packers right guard Josh Sitton believes the John F. Kennedy Memorial is fascinating. But he will check it out another time.

Safety Nick Collins understands that Southfork Ranch -- which provided the setting for the smash TV show "Dallas" -- would be fun to see. But he will pass.

When the Packers land in Dallas today, there's really only one landmark they care about: Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas. That's where Green Bay and the Steelers will meet at 6:30 p.m. Sunday in Super Bowl XLV.

The rest of the trip figures to be a long, agonizing wait before the biggest game of their lives.

"I don't care too much about Dallas or doing anything down there," Sitton said. "That's the general consensus of our guys. We're going down there to win the Lombardi Trophy. That's it."

Collins agreed.

"This is a business trip," he said. "We're going down there for one reason and that's to become Super Bowl champs."

To a man, the Packers insist they would love to fast forward to Sunday night and kick things off. Instead, Super Bowl week is filled with hype, hoopla, hysteria -- and inevitably, distractions.

Packers coach Mike McCarthy will try making this as close to a normal week as possible. But the Packers understand that might be easier said than done.

"I wouldn't be surprised if there are some distractions, but I can't sit here and worry about it," wide receiver Jordy Nelson said. "We're a young team, but mature, and we have an opportunity to do something special. Everyone knows that, everyone wants that. And I don't think anyone's going to jeopardize that."

As of Sunday night, McCarthy had not given players their schedules for the week. But McCarthy is big on consistency and routine, and doesn't figure to vary much from life in Green Bay.

So today was slated to be a travel day with the Packers checking into their hotel, The Omni Mandalay, in Las Colinas. Each player will get an individual room, instead of having a roommate as they do during the regular season.

The Packers will partake in the circus known as "Media Day" Tuesday, before returning to their hotel for a walkthrough in the afternoon.

"I know it's going to be crazy, pretty insane," defensive end Howard Green said of Media Day. "But I'm going to try to have fun with it. I always see it on TV. It's going to be fun to have my chance to be there."

From Wednesday to Friday, the Packers will practice on FieldTurf at Southern Methodist University. If weather is an issue, the Packers will have an indoor facility available. All practices are closed to the media and fans.

On those days, the Packers will have a team meeting in the morning, meet with the media, then have offensive, defensive and special teams meetings. Following a jog-through, the Packers will eat lunch, then go to practice.

"We're at Lambeau every day from 6:30 [a.m.] until 4:30 [p.m.] and I don't see that routine changing much," fullback John Kuhn said. "I don't see that changing just because we're going to Dallas. Football is first and foremost the most important thing on everybody's mind."

Each night, the players will have a few hours to themselves with bed check expected to be 11 p.m. This is where the Packers will cross their fingers that no problems arise.

History will never forget Atlanta's Eugene Robinson soliciting a prostitute the night before Super Bowl XXXIII. Or Bengals running back Stanley Wilson having a cocaine relapse the night before the Super Bowl XXIII and getting left off the roster.

These, of course, are extreme Super Bowl blunders. But the Packers will be guarding against all outside disturbances.

"For a normal road game, everyone's usually back in their room by 9:45," reserve quarterback Matt Flynn said. "This could be the same.

"Everyone's an adult, good group of guys. It's not like it's your first year in college and it's bowl week, or something. Everyone's kind of done their thing. Sure, we're going to try and see what's going on around there, but I'm not worried about anything. This trip's all about football."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11031...#ixzz1CcBz9xU9
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote