Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-31-2011, 06:30 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers: Dynasty discussion comes only after win

Steelers: Dynasty discussion comes only after win
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sp...after-win.html
By: Mike Bires
Beaver County Times

Monday January 31, 2011 12:05 AM

** FOR USE AS DESIRED, YEAR END PHOTOS ** FILE - A Pittsburgh Steelers player holds up the Vince Lombardi trophy after the Steelers' 27-23 win over the Arizona Cardinals in the NFL Super Bowl XLIII football game, in this Feb. 1, 2009 file photo, in Tampa, Fla. (AP Photo/Gene J. Puskar, File)

Casey Hampton almost cringes when he hears the “D” word. He’s humbled by comparisons to the Steelers of the 1970s. But he’s not quite ready to accept those comparisons just yet.

“Man, we’ll worry about any talk about a dynasty if we’re fortunate to get this one,” said Hampton, a burly nose tackle who’s already etched his place in franchise history as one of its greatest defensive linemen. “I’m not going to take away from what those guys in the ’70s have done. They won their Super Bowls. So I’m not going to compare us to them until we finish the job.”

The job at hand for Hampton and the Steelers is Super Bowl XLV against the Packers. If the Steelers win Sunday, they’ll add another Vince Lombardi Trophy to a trophy case already stocked with six of them.

The first four of those Super Bowl championships were won by a legendary collection of Steelers that includes Joe Greene, Jack Lambert, Franco Harris and Terry Bradshaw, to just name a few. They won Super Bowls to cap off the 1974, ’75, ’78 and ’79 seasons.

The most recent Super Bowl wins were won by what Ben Roethlisberger calls a “band of brothers.” Among them are Hampton, James Harrison, James Farrior, Troy Polamalu, Hines Ward and Roethlisberger.

They won Super Bowl XL in Detroit five years ago and sent future Hall of Famer Jerome Bettis into retirement with a bang. Two years ago in Tampa, the Steelers won Super Bowl XLIII. Roethlisberger ended that thriller by rifling a game-winning touchdown pass to Santonio Holmes with just 35 ticks left on the clock.

“I enjoy playing for this team and this organization and the Rooneys and putting that Steelers jersey on,” Roethlisberger said. “I enjoy putting the practice jersey on every day and the game jersey on Sundays. That’s something I’m honored to do. I cherish it every day.”

Certainly, there are plenty of similarities between the Steelers of the ‘70s and the modern-day Steelers.

Start with defense. Those from the “Steel Curtain” era were arguably the greatest in NFL history. The defenses of the past six years aren’t in the same class. But no other NFL team can match what the Steelers have done defensively since 2005.
Advertisement Click Here

The Steelers of the ‘70s featured a dominating defensive lineman in Greene, a dynamic set of linebackers led by Lambert and Jack Ham, and a one-of-kind defensive back in cornerback Mel Blount.

The Steelers who face the Packers on Sunday feature Hampton on the D-line, a phenomenal cast of linebackers that includes Harrison, Farrior, LaMarr Woodley and Lawrence Timmons, and an incomparable strong safety, Troy Polamalu.

On offense, the Steelers of the ‘70s had a franchise quarterback in Bradshaw, a pair of star wide receivers in Lynn Swann and John Stallworth and a prolific running back in Franco Harris.

Among the current Steelers trying to win their third Super Bowl are Roethlisberger, one of only 10 QBs with multiple Super Bowl wins; Ward, the franchise’s all-time leading receiver; and running back Rashard Mendenhall. It’s way too early to put Mendenhall among the all-time Steeler greats. But his 1,273 rushing yards this season is the seventh-best in franchise history.

“Those guys from the ‘70s set the standard,” Farrior said.

“That’s what we live up to. Those are the guys we’re chasing. Just to be mentioned in the same conversation with those guys is something that’s very humbling.”

But if the Steelers win Sunday, then maybe they deserve the dynasty distinction.

“What would I qualify as a dynasty?” Hampton said. “Three Super Bowls in six years.

“I mean, we’ve been to five AFC championship games in 10 years. And in two of them, the Patriots cheated (referring to Spygate). So we could be looking at a whole lot more if that didn’t happen. Who knows what could have happened?”

Win or lose Sunday, the Steelers have been an amazing success story in recent years. They have added to a proud legacy.

“I’m proud to be a Steeler, no doubt about it,” Farrior said. “I feel I was born to be a Steeler.”

“I don’t ever walk by those six Super Bowl trophies without looking at them,” Ward said.

“I just stop and think about being a part of this history, of being a part of this organization. It’s a special feeling to be a part of this.”
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:26 AM   #2
realdeal
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10935
Default Re: Steelers: Dynasty discussion comes only after win

Did Hampton really say the Pats cheated? Lol!! I can't believe the Pats/Belichick/Kraft pretty much got a free pass on this Spygate deal.
realdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:39 AM   #3
MDSteel15
Team President

Member Number: 8170
My Mood: Blah
Default Re: Steelers: Dynasty discussion comes only after win

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
Steelers: Dynasty discussion comes only after win
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sp...after-win.html
By: Mike Bires
Beaver County Times

Monday January 31, 2011 12:05 AM

** FOR USE AS DESIRED, YEAR END PHOTOS ** FILE - A Pittsburgh Steelers player holds up the Vince Lombardi trophy after the Steelers' 27-23 win over the Arizona Cardinals in the NFL Super Bowl XLIII football game, in this Feb. 1, 2009 file photo, in Tampa, Fla. (AP Photo/Gene J. Puskar, File)

Casey Hampton almost cringes when he hears the “D” word. He’s humbled by comparisons to the Steelers of the 1970s. But he’s not quite ready to accept those comparisons just yet.

“Man, we’ll worry about any talk about a dynasty if we’re fortunate to get this one,” said Hampton, a burly nose tackle who’s already etched his place in franchise history as one of its greatest defensive linemen. “I’m not going to take away from what those guys in the ’70s have done. They won their Super Bowls. So I’m not going to compare us to them until we finish the job.”

The job at hand for Hampton and the Steelers is Super Bowl XLV against the Packers. If the Steelers win Sunday, they’ll add another Vince Lombardi Trophy to a trophy case already stocked with six of them.

The first four of those Super Bowl championships were won by a legendary collection of Steelers that includes Joe Greene, Jack Lambert, Franco Harris and Terry Bradshaw, to just name a few. They won Super Bowls to cap off the 1974, ’75, ’78 and ’79 seasons.

The most recent Super Bowl wins were won by what Ben Roethlisberger calls a “band of brothers.” Among them are Hampton, James Harrison, James Farrior, Troy Polamalu, Hines Ward and Roethlisberger.

They won Super Bowl XL in Detroit five years ago and sent future Hall of Famer Jerome Bettis into retirement with a bang. Two years ago in Tampa, the Steelers won Super Bowl XLIII. Roethlisberger ended that thriller by rifling a game-winning touchdown pass to Santonio Holmes with just 35 ticks left on the clock.

“I enjoy playing for this team and this organization and the Rooneys and putting that Steelers jersey on,” Roethlisberger said. “I enjoy putting the practice jersey on every day and the game jersey on Sundays. That’s something I’m honored to do. I cherish it every day.”

Certainly, there are plenty of similarities between the Steelers of the ‘70s and the modern-day Steelers.

Start with defense. Those from the “Steel Curtain” era were arguably the greatest in NFL history. The defenses of the past six years aren’t in the same class. But no other NFL team can match what the Steelers have done defensively since 2005.
Advertisement Click Here

The Steelers of the ‘70s featured a dominating defensive lineman in Greene, a dynamic set of linebackers led by Lambert and Jack Ham, and a one-of-kind defensive back in cornerback Mel Blount.

The Steelers who face the Packers on Sunday feature Hampton on the D-line, a phenomenal cast of linebackers that includes Harrison, Farrior, LaMarr Woodley and Lawrence Timmons, and an incomparable strong safety, Troy Polamalu.

On offense, the Steelers of the ‘70s had a franchise quarterback in Bradshaw, a pair of star wide receivers in Lynn Swann and John Stallworth and a prolific running back in Franco Harris.

Among the current Steelers trying to win their third Super Bowl are Roethlisberger, one of only 10 QBs with multiple Super Bowl wins; Ward, the franchise’s all-time leading receiver; and running back Rashard Mendenhall. It’s way too early to put Mendenhall among the all-time Steeler greats. But his 1,273 rushing yards this season is the seventh-best in franchise history.

“Those guys from the ‘70s set the standard,” Farrior said.

“That’s what we live up to. Those are the guys we’re chasing. Just to be mentioned in the same conversation with those guys is something that’s very humbling.”

But if the Steelers win Sunday, then maybe they deserve the dynasty distinction.

“What would I qualify as a dynasty?” Hampton said. “Three Super Bowls in six years.

“I mean, we’ve been to five AFC championship games in 10 years. And in two of them, the Patriots cheated (referring to Spygate). So we could be looking at a whole lot more if that didn’t happen. Who knows what could have happened?”

Win or lose Sunday, the Steelers have been an amazing success story in recent years. They have added to a proud legacy.

“I’m proud to be a Steeler, no doubt about it,” Farrior said. “I feel I was born to be a Steeler.”

“I don’t ever walk by those six Super Bowl trophies without looking at them,” Ward said.

“I just stop and think about being a part of this history, of being a part of this organization. It’s a special feeling to be a part of this.”
I just love it!
MDSteel15 is offline   Reply With Quote