Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 04-17-2006, 04:57 PM   #21
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: Chris Meyers Interview...

double post, sorry.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 04-17-2006 at 05:54 PM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 05:50 PM   #22
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,370 Times in 4,306 Posts

moreso than ben stating that he wants all the numbers and stats, i think he was just wanting to remove the stigma that he CANT put up those numbers. many people think he is incapable of being that type of qb, and he is confident enough of his skills to know he can be any type of qb that is asked of him. hes just out to prove all the naysayers wrong, not a personal agenda to inflate his stats. he wants the coaches and team mates to have the confidence in him that he can do it when called upon. while i know he would like to be better than t. aikman im sure he wouldnt mind a hall of fame career without all the 300 yd games. 28-4 hes all about the winning. as stated in the interview it was HIS decision to put off surgery and bite the bullet til the end of the season. he didnt want to let anyone down.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 05:56 PM   #23
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

I like what Midnight had to say...

But if Ben wants to have 300 yard games, he's gonna need some receivers to throw to. Ward won't be around forever, and the depth chart takes a serious talent nose dive at WR after #86.

We need at least 1 or 2 legit possible #1 WR candidates at training camp in the next year or two, or we risk losing our QB as well.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 05:57 PM   #24
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim

But if Ben wants to have 300 yard games, he's gonna need some receivers to throw to. Ward won't be around forever, and the depth chart takes a serious talent nose dive at WR after #86.

We need at least 1 or 2 legit possible #1 WR candidates at training camp in the next year or two, or we risk losing our QB as well.
Amen to that brother.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:03 PM   #25
tony hipchest
Supporter

it sucks we get all these compensentory draftpicks in a year where the wr position isnt that great and relatively thin. with all starters (except ike) signed for 2 years we will not have any after next season. steelers could try to do something creative like trade out of #32 for a 1st pick next year and package some picks to move up to a high 2nd. maybe like 40th or something.

just one of many possibilities.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:18 PM   #26
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Figured this wasn't worth starting a new thread so I will post it in this thread. For those interested in Ben's offseason........

Roethlisberger happy to be working out
Monday, April 17, 2006

By Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

Many Steelers players are working out on a regular basis at the team's practice facility, hitting the weight room, taking part in yoga classes and workouts that help with foot and hand speed.

One player who has been a regular in the voluntary conditioning program is quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

Roethlisberger took part in the workouts on occasion last season, but by his own admission was letting outside distractions be too much of a focus.

"Last year in the off-season I felt like I was getting pulled in every different direction," he said. "I was trying to do way too many things.

"This year I have really toned it down. I have only done the things I have wanted to do."

And it's paying off for him. Roethlisberger has had the chance to spend more time with his teammates during this off-season and is enjoying the time.

"It's been more relaxing and more fun," said Roethlisberger, who will take a break from the workouts when he visits Switzerland with his family in May. "I have been able to be in Pittsburgh and work out and be around the guys and have fun. This off-season has been a lot more relaxing and a lot better for me than last off-season was"

With Jerome Bettis retiring, Roethlisberger is being looked at by some to help pick some of the leadership role on offense. Alan Faneca and Hines Ward are two veteran leaders who are well-respected by their teammates, but Roethlisberger is also merging into that role.

"I don't want to force them out and step on anybody's shoes and take over the leadership role," said Roethlisberger. "But everybody on this team and in this organization is starting to put me up in that role. With Jerome leaving it opens up a spot.

"Guys look up to me as a leader and I have accepted that responsibility as a guy that they can come and talk to and be a guy that is a leader on this team."
Old 04-17-2006, 06:25 PM   #27
tony hipchest
Supporter

i read this earlier and its definitely threadworthy. from the interview with c. meyers i saw ben still had a huge chip on his shoulder, and it was good to read this to prove hes doing more to continue his improvement. and hes doing it to help his teamates improve too. im sure cowhers pretty happy with this and ben knows what he has to do if hes gonna be a manning, brady type team leader. (not that the steelers NEED that. - well maybe they do need that out of the qb position)

as far as my take on wether ben and cowher get along. (from another thread):

as for the helmet incident i think cowher talked to ben like a concerned father would. thats the impression i got.

as for cowher falling in love with kordell, i think that was seen as a sign of weakness and the coach has probably learned from that. he sort of got burnt. its probably a concentrated effort by him now to not show that much emotion for a certain player. i think he cares for and definitely respects all his players, but you notice since kordell he doesnt favor any or even pump any of their heads up to much. he doesnt slobber over any of his players. even the great ones. t. polamalu, hines ward, jerome, h. miller, faneca, porter, gildon, ben, etc. which one is his favorite? hes very good at keeping everything focused on the team as a whole.

ben and cowher will be fine and will have a strong relationship. anyone thinks ben didnt appreciate cowher oppenning up the offense for him with a bad thumb, one week after the beatdown in indy? i think theres mutual trust there and cowher is too smart not to know what he has in ben.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/show...r+falling+love
(for context)

Last edited by tony hipchest; 04-17-2006 at 06:32 PM.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:08 PM   #28
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim

Thats what worries me, that Cowher isnt giving him alot of great targets, instead he is losing targets, maybe Cowher is just trying to stay mostly RUN
Old 04-18-2006, 06:30 PM   #29
Mr. Clean
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1156

Uh, I really don't think Cowher is trying to stay "married" to the run.

The Steelers did open it up in the AFC playoffs. The running attack did not produce much, but the passing game was very good. Ben was red hot in the playoff game in Indy. His arm was hurt in the second half, or they could have piled it up on the Colts - there were only five second half passes.

Ben was torrid against the Broncos.

Granted, Ben did not play a great game in the Super Bowl, in terms of stats, and a lot of people will remember this, but who cares?

The important thing, as pointed out, is to develop some more receivers so Ben has some weapons. Maybe Nate Washinton will be a good WR, but nobody knows right now. Ben wanted to keep Plex and Randle El. Pittsburgh won without them - Randle El is not a great WR, anyway, but Pittsburgh needs some new blood at WR.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:23 PM   #30
tony hipchest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clean
Uh, I really don't think Cowher is trying to stay "married" to the run.

The Steelers did open it up in the AFC playoffs. The running attack did not produce much, but the passing game was very good. Ben was red hot in the playoff game in Indy. His arm was hurt in the second half, or they could have piled it up on the Colts - there were only five second half passes.

Ben was torrid against the Broncos.

Granted, Ben did not play a great game in the Super Bowl, in terms of stats, and a lot of people will remember this, but who cares?

The important thing, as pointed out, is to develop some more receivers so Ben has some weapons. Maybe Nate Washinton will be a good WR, but nobody knows right now. Ben wanted to keep Plex and Randle El. Pittsburgh won without them - Randle El is not a great WR, anyway, but Pittsburgh needs some new blood at WR.
we dont know what goes on behind the scenes but maybe ben has told mgmt that, other than hines, theres no other wr he would rather play with than m. nance. maybe the steelers are dedicated to drafting him.

the steelers got ben h. miller. (a pick that definitely showed a change in philosophy, as far as throwing to the t.e. is concerned). we could only be so lucky if this tandem turned out to be like bledsoe and coates in the mid - 90's.

the steelers have committed to hines plus 3 rb's who are really good at catching the ball out of the backfield. i think bens smart enough to not be too concerned at this point.