Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-20-2011, 10:00 AM   #1
MDSteel15
Team President

Member Number: 8170
My Mood: Blah
Default Kiper and McShay both have Steelers taking OT!

Mel Kiper has us taking Tyron Smith* OT USC and Todd McShay has us taking Benjamin Ijalana OL Villanova!! What are you alls thoughts?
MDSteel15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:09 PM   #2
PhantomJB93
Head Coach

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Kiper and McShay both have Steelers taking OT!

I think the Oline concerns are overblown, I think people tend to forget we LOST both our starting tackles to injury, it's not like they're off the team for good. Tackle and Guard will be a concern in the near future but right now I'll gladly sacrifice another first rounder OL pick and spend it on a defensive player and just settle for a Starks-Kemo-Pouncey-Foster-Colon line (maybe even keep Flozell at RT and move Colon to interior line?)
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:19 AM   #3
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomJB93 View Post
I think the Oline concerns are overblown, I think people tend to forget we LOST both our starting tackles to injury, it's not like they're off the team for good. Tackle and Guard will be a concern in the near future but right now I'll gladly sacrifice another first rounder OL pick and spend it on a defensive player and just settle for a Starks-Kemo-Pouncey-Foster-Colon line (maybe even keep Flozell at RT and move Colon to interior line?)
agreed. i would love to have Pouncey as our guard and wouldnt complain if we took him but i also wouldnt mind if we took a NT or corner in the 1st. next season i would love to see Starks at LT, Adams at RT, Pouncey at C, Foster or Kemo at LG and Colon at RG. i always said Colon would be a pro bowler at guard.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:45 AM   #4
MDSteel15
Team President

Member Number: 8170
My Mood: Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
agreed. i would love to have Pouncey as our guard and wouldnt complain if we took him but i also wouldnt mind if we took a NT or corner in the 1st. next season i would love to see Starks at LT, Adams at RT, Pouncey at C, Foster or Kemo at LG and Colon at RG. i always said Colon would be a pro bowler at guard.
That sound good to me but I think we need to take an OT in the first couple of rounds to back them up in case of injury!
MDSteel15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:05 AM   #5
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149

OVERBLOWN??? don't let this run fool you, Oline and Corner is still a weakness,especially O line Buffalo showed that.... We NEED Olineman and Corner in the first 2 rounds, hell the first 4...then we can go Dline, lord knows we have enough LB's,WR's and RB's
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:13 PM   #6
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach

Member Number: 5037

give Tyron Smith 2 years to put on some muscle and you will have a LT that will cover bens blindside as well as anyone.

By all reports he has great footwork, skills and technique. The only knock is that he is under 300lbs.

Ijalana will climb draft boards and may end up at the bottom of the first round. Mike Pouncey will be the higher rated guard (but could well be gone)

I would be happy with either pick
Old 01-29-2011, 02:30 PM   #7
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792

I agree with drafting a tackle and moving Colon to RG. I think Flo could play tackle for 1 more year giving the new pick 1 year to learn. Remember we got Pouncey at #16 I think. We won't be picking until #32 this year. Pouncey being ready to start the season at Center after coming out as a Junior shows what a great player he is. Making the pro bowl in his first year, shows he has already earned his battle stripes with those around the league. Barring injury, this guy may be the greatest center the leauge has ever seen in the next 10 years. Centers just aren't suppossed to be this athletic.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:07 PM   #8
Merchant
Team Captain

Member Number: 15019

Last draft OT had ridiculous depth. This year i'm not impressed. I think we can survive with Starks and Colon (or Flo) and go Guard (hopefully Pouncey ) or Corner.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:11 AM   #9
Mr. Goosemahn
Water Boy

Member Number: 14421

I don't like the offensive tackles in this draft class at all.

Derek Sherrod, Gabe Carimi, DeMarcus Love, those are the only guys I'd like for us, and they are all borderline LT's, IMO. Won't be anything special.

Marcus Cannon is sometimes listed as a tackle, but I'd kick him inside to guard and watch him blossom. He could become a truly special player there. Could being the magic word, of course.

As for Tyron Smith, he is just way too small, IMO. 6'5 is good, and he's got long, rangy arms, but 280 lbs?!? I'm sorry, that just doesn't cut it for me. He's one of those converted TE's, and I don't really buy into them. Plus, he's never played on the left side (Kalil plays LT for USC, Smith is RT), so that would be interesting to see as well.

Smith has to add 20 lbs. just to be at the minimum weight for a tackle (300 by my standards), meaning it would be a longshot for him to get to the 315-320 range I really like.
Mr. Goosemahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:13 AM   #10
Mr. Goosemahn
Water Boy

Member Number: 14421

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
Colon definitely has the nastiness and grit to be a great guard, but he doesn't have the short-space quickness and the mobility we like in our guards. Coaches supposedly tried him at guard a while back and he was just awful at pulling, which forced them to end that experiment prematurely.
Mr. Goosemahn is offline   Reply With Quote