Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-07-2011, 04:58 PM   #1
SteelCityScotty
Water Boy

Member Number: 18222
Default Draft a QB?

Hello, everyone. First time posting on these forums...

I'm not going to be another one of those guys critical of Roethlisberger, posting a reactionary thread about how he needs to go. I think he's one of the most reliable quarterbacks in the league, and I respect all that he's done for the Steelers during the past several years.

One thing I am curious about -- While watching the success of Aaron Rodgers this season, I realize how advantageous it might be to draft a stud QB, then have him serve as a back-up to one of the best in the game for a few seasons. This gives the young player someone to learn from and a mentor to show him the ropes during his early years in the league. Philip Rivers is another example of a guy who waited his turn before finding success. Kevin Kolb, not so much.

So, my question is, if the Steelers take this approach, how long does the team wait before drafting the heir apparent to Big Ben? Is this year too soon? I know Ben's not exactly an old man, but his body's taken quite a beating since he arrived in the league. Another concern would be the possibility of having him take the idea of drafting a talented young QB as a sign of disrespect, as if he's being pushed out the door.

I know we already have a young QB (Dennis Dixon) on the roster, and the early picks in this draft should be used to strengthen our offensive line and secondary. But, I just wanted to see if anyone else thinks the Steelers aren't too far off from starting to think about a quarterback of the future.
SteelCityScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:25 PM   #2
PhantomJB93
Head Coach

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Draft a QB?

Maybe someday, but not this year. This is the worst QB class I've seen in years. I think when the time comes, we'll know when the right QB comes along and go after him.

Especially not in the next couple years though, the next 2 or 3 drafts need to be devoted to replenishing the defense...we're good at OLB and maybe ILB if Sylvester can step up, but 3 years from now we will need to have replacements all ready for DE, DT, CB, and possibly both safeties as well (DBs can play for a while but I don't think we can trust Clark much longer and who knows when Troy is gonna slow down, he might be on the decline already judging from this postseason).

But once defensive age is no longer a concen I'm all for pursuing a replacement QB and grooming him behind Ben.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:38 PM   #3
ebsteelers
Living Legend

SpeedPong Champion! X-Training Champion!
Member Number: 18215
Thanked 2,150 Times in 1,255 Posts

i'd say no ben probably has at least 5 or 6 more good years under him...

so itd be a waste of a first round pick and we dont have that luxury
ebsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:33 PM   #4
SteelCityScotty
Water Boy

Member Number: 18222

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebsteelers View Post
i'd say no ben probably has at least 5 or 6 more good years under him...

so itd be a waste of a first round pick and we dont have that luxury
Yeah, I guess if we're going to draft a "stud QB" who will take the job over on a long-term basis, it will likely have to be in the first round.

My initial thought was we could take a QB this year after addressing the offensive line and secondary, but by round 3 or 4, there might not be anyone left who meets that "stud QB" description.
SteelCityScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:01 PM   #5
BehindSteelCurtain
Team Captain

Member Number: 11279

I see Ingram from Bama.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:14 PM   #6
PhantomJB93
Head Coach

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityScotty View Post
Yeah, I guess if we're going to draft a "stud QB" who will take the job over on a long-term basis, it will likely have to be in the first round.

My initial thought was we could take a QB this year after addressing the offensive line and secondary, but by round 3 or 4, there might not be anyone left who meets that "stud QB" description.
There's nobody who meets the "stud QB" description in this draft PERIOD. The top QB's are BLAINE GABBERT, who has been tremendously inaccurate, can't read coverages, has a Byron-esque slow release, and panics and takes off running everytime hist hot read isn't open instead of sanning the rest of the field, and Cam Newton, who is a Jamarcus Russell clone with even more character issues. I PITY teams in need of a QB right now because they are gonna waste top picks this year on QB prospects that are gonna set them back multiple years...the best QB in this year's draft is AT BEST a 3rd or 4th round grade IMO, but you know 5 are gonna go in the first round regardless...
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:36 PM   #7
steelerohio
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14925

I will not be able to fathom a QB pick anywhere int he draft this year. Wait a few years after the defense gets build up a little more, and possibly the o-line too.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:20 PM   #8
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497

We have to wait for a deeper QB class. This one is horrible.
SH-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote